Home

ArtifeX's ProMod 1.0 Beta -- Released

ArtifeX

• Replies 291
  • Created
  • Last Reply

You people have all seen my posts, you know that I am picky. I find problems in everything.

So my thoughts on this mod...

GET IT AND GET IT NOW!!!

There has never been a blocking system as well designed in this game so far. You can block when you need or want to, but you can't block whe you don't move to face the hit. The blocking works 100% of the time, no luck involved.

ALL the stances work great. I used them all to great effect. Blue speed is very usefull in the sense that it hits medium and parrys when timed right for the perfect quick in and out move. Medium has a good strength balance with heavy. heavy as always is useful but WILL NOT dominate the other stances.

GET THIS PATCH AND RUN IT ON YOUR SERVER. WE NEED MORE PEOPLE RUNNING THIS.

RAVEN IF YOU ARE READING THIS (and you should be) THIS IS WHAT YOUR PATCH SHOULD BE LIKE!!!

thanks

a very happy Fatal

I'll just join in here and say that this mod is alot of fun. It definitely feels like you are more in control of the saber. The CSC meter is a brilliant idea, one of those you see and think to yourself, "damn why didn't *I* think of that." It really forces face to face, skill-based battles. Anyone who is sick of garbage and cheap tactics should check this mod out.

Guest Sabre9
Originally posted by FatalStrike

You people have all seen my posts, you know that I am picky. I find problems in everything.

So my thoughts on this mod...

GET IT AND GET IT NOW!!!

Just wondering - what version of JK ][ do I need to run this mod?

1.02? 1.03? 1.04?

Thanx...

Ah, Artifex. I remember you.

Hearing that blocking has been effectively altered is good news. I've been playing the JK2++ mod alot these days, I really like that style. The push pull thing was fixed from 1.03, but of course Raven changed things later on in 1.04. Gamespeed was upped a tad, etc., nothing major, just wanted a fast game. But the lightsaber blocking, which we started questioning in the forums, was and still is utter crap.

One major thing I guess that was done was matching the lightsabers to be effective weapons against guns. We were discussing all this stuff in the WD forums, and came to the conclusion that a skilled gunner worth his salt was superior in effectiveness to a saberist because his gun had better range, sometimes better fire rate, a much larger hit radius, etc. etc. The saberist needed force speed and good timing and aim to score a hit. To compensate for this we did damage levels that are far more radical than your own.

I don't remember the exact hit point values, but i'll put it out in terms of hits on a person with 100/25 health... the starting level of all players.

Light stance - two-three hits. It has to be two good hits, knicking will usually take four to five. Against a person with higher shields, it's like three to four, usually four.

Mediums stance - two-one hits. A good hit usually will do the job in one hit. This is usually the stance you need most against a skilled gunner, as hacking away with light stance ultimately won't dish out the damage as quickly or as easily as an "explosive" weapon can.

Heavy - two-one hits. Because the hit detection is screwy on the heavy stance in 1.04, 1.03, etc., heavy stance isn't all that effective. It hits harder than medium stance, and if you do the downward chop and bury it in a person, they will die in 1 strike.

What's the point of posting this. Well, as I said, I'm of the opinion that in a fast paced, truly competitive enviroment, gunner have always ruled all forms of gameplay. We have already tried your set values for saber damage, and while they were effective for a little while, gunners adapted, realizing the hurt was coming, and it soon became less and less effective. I'm not going to boast and say I'm some awesome player, but I'm certainly not speaking without experience or not trying. It was finally decided that JK2++ would adopt high saber damage. In most people's imaginations, this means everyone is now going pro with the lightsaber. This is far from the truth. In fact, most people have switched back to guns because it's still extremely difficult to win in a saber vs. gun fight. For the most part, even with this really high saber damage, gunners are still very capable of destroying opponents. However, if you time your strikes,and effectively fake out your opponents aim with the rockets, etc., the appropriate reward is given. AKA, get a good hit with a yellow swing, person with gun dies.

All I ask is that you consider this line of thought. The fact that you mention you fixed saber blocking is phenomenal. Too many ctf games I have played where someone turns their back to me and runs, and while I hack away, they deflect me. ?!?!? If you have such precise blocking and fixed aiming, why mess around with this hack and slash stuff. Granted, the current values are more like 1.02, but I've always been a fan of quick ends. If an imperial flechette can kill me from point blank range at one hit, I'm cool with it. I'd just prefer that my saber battles also ended in a similar fashion. Good luck with your mod.

I've only played a few minutes against bots and I know this mod is destined to be great...

I'm a fan of your 1.03 Saber tactics, it was so much more informative than the ones at JK2.net and was my guide when I was but a n00blet.

Your expanding ring reminds me of Rainbow Six, Counter-Strike, and other tactical shooters; the expanding cursor is an excellent idea.... Now when I take up a defensive stance and take hits regardless, it makes sense because the circle was large that time... When my blocks are consecutive and reliable I glance at the circle and it's small. Great system you have here...

Now people don't just stand up against a corner and look forward and block every damn hit in front of them, they actually have to look at their opponent in order to stay alive.

Defense breakage isn't random anymore, now it feels as if you has a major screwup in your defensive footwork instead of a freak accident you can blame on lag.

Congrats please keep updating and spread the influence :D I would love to play this on an NF duel server.

PS please post some servers, Artifex's server seems to be down for me and BOTs use AutoAim so they can practically block all normal swings :o

What's the point of posting this. Well, as I said, I'm of the opinion that in a fast paced, truly competitive enviroment, gunner have always ruled all forms of gameplay. We have already tried your set values for saber damage, and while they were effective for a little while, gunners adapted, realizing the hurt was ...........

The problem with that is the battles will be over VERY quickly if you have to totally rely on the CSC for blocking.

If you want to nerf the gunners a bit just make it so a saber hit on your opponent destroys his gun. (like in the movies).

Theres only one thing i don't like about the mod, the singletap front kick should still be a doubletap in my opinion. I do prefer singletap kicks but now that 1.02 bug is back where if you're too close to a ledge you kick it instead of jumping over it, that bug bugs me. :p

First thing : Awesome Mod artifex

Now what im hoping is that you continue on with this mod. It has the potential to be huge great if you assemble a little team together and send out gradual updates, little extra features per update. Anyway thats just my wishes and i understand wholly if you do not wish too.

Anyway people Hats off to artifex :)

Well it sounds interesting but many of us are hooked on Jedimod which un-nerfs most of the special moves and it allows you to lower kick damage and knock down a saber throw. Plus all the added visual stuff like model scaling and emotes adds to the fun. And the grappling hook is the sh*t.

Since the Jedimod source code is pubic would you concider putting some of the jedimod code into your mod?

My server's running 1.04, but I don't see any reason it won't run with 1.03, as all 1.03 did was change multiplayer balance. I do seem to remember some bug fixes from 1.02 to 1.03 though. Also, a different version than what is on the server may cause problems with servers that are running "pure", but that goes for any mod, not just ProMod.

Originally posted by Sabre9

Just wondering - what version of JK ][ do I need to run this mod?

1.02? 1.03? 1.04?

Thanx...

Originally posted by Doctor Shaft

All I ask is that you consider this line of thought. The fact that you mention you fixed saber blocking is phenomenal. Too many ctf games I have played where someone turns their back to me and runs, and while I hack away, they deflect me. ?!?!? If you have such precise blocking and fixed aiming, why mess around with this hack and slash stuff. Granted, the current values are more like 1.02, but I've always been a fan of quick ends. If an imperial flechette can kill me from point blank range at one hit, I'm cool with it. I'd just prefer that my saber battles also ended in a similar fashion. Good luck with your mod.

This is exactly the type of criticism that I'm after. Adjusting the saber damage vs. someone not wielding a saber has actually been on my to do list for 2 or 3 days now. You can bet there will be an adjustment in the final 1.0 version, though how much will be based upon input from several different online tournament administrators and players, as well as the community at large.

Archived