Home

ArtifeX's ProMod 1.0 Beta -- Released

ArtifeX

• Replies 291
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Originally posted by zerowingzero

I really wouldent care about guns, hell i'm usually the person they complain about useing them, but when the server is there for the sole reason of testing out the saber combat system, why not go to another server to use guns? I personally hate those people who whine about guns in guns servers, SO servers outnumber them 3 to one, but there is only 1 (now 2 Thanks blackfire) Promod servers that i know about so there really isnt a choice execpt playing againsed Bots

Yeah but its also testing the balance of the game now between weapons and sabers and well as different saber stances as well as the new combat engine.

If thats why the sabers are so strong then mabye he should think about these competition players people keep talking about, I see very like JK2 tourneys around using the guns.

Originally posted by SPY_jmr1

it suprised me, the guy who kept calling the votes to kick me, I did nothing to him unless he was in the ffa part of the map, otherwise I left him alone... anyway, they got me on the 4th or 5th vote... I shuld have votekicked the moron who called anyone who used a gun a "fag", but I was kicked before I could...

If you are the dude I saw..

I don't know who kept trying to kick you but I did call you a "fag" It wasn't the guns, it was the fact that you kept shooting me to death everytime I was in my console. You were doing far more annoying things then using guns which I generally don't mind. After all I am a fan of snipers myself :)

Guest Sabre9
Originally posted by zerowingzero

IP? i gotta make a thread with all the servers

Hi.

Just get ASE, and in the JK II mod section, select Other, then sort by mods. You can quickly tell there's like 6 promod servers.

Oh, and since I'm such a nice guy, here: ;)

63.99.213.122:28070

134.114.32.159:28070

64.162.20.42:28070

24.218.10.161:28071

130.161.36.97:28070

209.54.74.216:28070

BTW: These are all 1.04 servers.

I really hope this mod takes off.

Damn, my old buddy Kurgan! Nice to hear from you!

Yeah, I've been gone, and was gone for good until they released 1.04 and just generally pissed me off with how bad it was. So I went into my own personal yoda hut for a month or two and wrote this mod to hopefully resurrect the competitive scene.

Hey, kick those jkii.net guys in the butt and get them to promote the mod some! Stick a big fat news post on the front page!

Originally posted by Kurgan

Artifex! I thought you were dead and quit the JK2 scene!

Glad to see you're back and hard at work... ; )

Hey, I say crank out all the mods you want, the community can only benefit from new stuff like this, I'd love to try it out sometime!

Then we can write strategy pages for this mod and others. Up to this point all I'd been seeing are constant rehashes of the Raven-released source with minor changes... for once this mod sounds like it's going to be really different and require different strategies. Good luck refining and perfecting it to what you want.

Originally posted by Xenoeye

ArtifeX you mentioned 2 damge scales for saber damage.

Would that be one to balance sabers and guns and a lower one for saber on saber where the guns balencing isn't as important and the saber fights can last a bit longer cause although I haven't seen any non DFA one hit kills they're are a lot of fast kills and although its pro mod I've had a few lucky kills in the heat of battle.

Yes, there will be 3 more console commands in addition to the g_saberDamageScale command that's currently in the game. They'll allow you to tweak saber vs. guns, saber vs. saber, and guns vs. anything else.

Originally posted by RpTheHotrod

1: reported by others in the server too, saber attacks on strong stance seems to have an invisible longer blade...hitting you although the saber model misses entirely.

2: even with 100% accuracy, and the enemy always missing, I tried to block with blue and still got killed in 1 hit (block did nothing). We experimented a few times, and blocks rarely occured...even if the other person had 100% accuracy, and the other player swinging randomly into the air.

That concerns me. I've been in the server for about 3 hours now and haven't had anyone else report that to me. email me a detailed description of how to reproduce it and i'll get right on it.

arsartifex@msn.com

Originally posted by ryudom

just a couple things: why can't you push projectiles anymore and it seems as though sometimes i block dfa and other times i dont, even when i am looking directly at them

You can't push projectiles? Ok, that's priority one. I'm on it.

The DFA actually hits multiple times. If you turn away from them by even 15 degrees or so, you risk being hit.

Originally posted by blackfire

:D First let me say that I really love this mod and I am currently running it on my server.(sorry Jedimod)

I've noticed a bug though unfortunately, people aren't seeing the proper models even when they have them. I have a massive list of models for people to use, but they don't see them and see kyle when in game. I had multiple clients having this problem even though everyone had the models in question. I never had a problem like this before installing this great mod.

They may need to put them in the promod directory and create the proper directory tree underneath that. I'll download some models and try it. I haven't modified the model code in the slightest though.

Ok, now for my suggestions:

Could you please put in a couple of Admin commands like slap or silence. :cool:

It's on my list. We'll see if i can get to it before the final.

Also, is there any chance you could add the model scaling from Jedimod, so people can use the great Yoda models.

Anything I would implement would be client-side only to avoid people using the yoda model to avoid getting hit. Still, I have to prioritize the game balance code before i can start adding window dressing.

The 2 sabers would be cool to as an admin option for the server, but not nearly as important as the first two.

Other than that, I think you have done a great job and can't wait to see more from you.:D

Thanks!

Originally posted by Sabre9

Hi.

Just get ASE, and in the JK II mod section, select Other, then sort by mods. You can quickly tell there's like 6 promod servers.

Oh, and since I'm such a nice guy, here: ;)

63.99.213.122:28070

134.114.32.159:28070

64.162.20.42:28070

24.218.10.161:28071

130.161.36.97:28070

209.54.74.216:28070

BTW: These are all 1.04 servers.

I really hope this mod takes off.

I wanna know who the idiot admin of this server is 64.162.20.42:28070, he has a Vader bot in there and for some inexplicable reason has the pk3 named VADER_MP_MODEL.pk3 which is not the correct name. That wouldn't be a problem if the server had autodownload enabled but of course it does not, so theres NO way for anyone to join lol.

Thanks to all of you who are putting up servers for ProMod. After only 36 hours of being public, there's a huge demand for open slots in the official server. That's great news.

I also want to thank everyone who's leaving their comments here and emailing them to me--it's helping me help you. Keep them coming! I've already got a huge list of very valid concerns and well thought-out additions to what will be the final version at some point. With your help, I can mold this into the game that I'm sure Raven wished Lucasarts would allow them to make.

Make sure to talk to the admins of any ladders/tournaments you're involved in. The goal of ProMod is to replace the badly broken official versions in competition play.

Anything I would implement would be client-side only to avoid people using the yoda model to avoid getting hit. Still, I have to prioritize the game balance code before i can start adding window dressing.

Good idea, I've found that the current model sizing in JM seems to conflict a bit with the saber blocking.

They may need to put them in the promod directory and create the proper directory tree underneath that. I'll download some models and try it. I haven't modified the model code in the slightest though.

I found this very strange also, as I didn't think you had. When I'm on my server I can see all the models, I just had other people telling me they weren't there or they didn't see them.

It's on my list. We'll see if i can get to it before the final.

Thank You very much:D This was the most important in my suggestions to you, for me.

Anything I would implement would be client-side only to avoid people using the yoda model to avoid getting hit.

You could just limit when they are able to change their models. Either when they are a certain distance from their opponent or maybe only allow them to choose models when they are spectating(this would probaly work better for duel servers). My own opinion on this, is once in a fight you shouldn't be changing models anyway.

Still, I have to prioritize the game balance code before i can start adding window dressing.

Oh I perfectly understand and agree. The other suggestions were only ideas for the future of the mod. I didn't mean to sound like I was asking for them in 1.0. I would rather the important stuff get completed well before the window dressing as you put it.:)

Yeah, I remember in Quake2...there was a small sheep model you could download and use. It would jump with a bah, and die with a baaahhh....but it was small....and the damage model was reduced. To others without the model, they were shooting at a normal guys head or torso, but the shots were passing right through.

I wanna know who the idiot admin of this server is 64.162.20.42:28070, he has a Vader bot in there and for some inexplicable reason has the pk3 named VADER_MP_MODEL.pk3 which is not the correct name.

Actually it is for the old version of vader; version 1.3. I ended up putting him back in mine because I found quite a few people didn't have the chesire_arco_vader;version 2. And kept asking where's Vader?:p It's amazing how many people don't check for updates to things.:rolleyes:

Well, as you can see, I've posted quite a large news bit on Promod. For a short time, you will be getting massive advertisment! Only fair though, since I felt your work is that of something unique and made with thought and time.

It seemed to me that the visuals of your saber combat was somewhat similar to the look of the 'ideal settings' ghoul2 on, sabertrace off, I enjoyed this work even more because of this.

If you need anything feel free to email me at diablo@jediknightii.net, great work.

Originally posted by blackfire

Actually it is for the old version of vader; version 1.3. I ended up putting him back in mine because I found quite a few people didn't have the chesire_arco_vader;version 2. And kept asking where's Vader?:p It's amazing how many people don't check for updates to things.:rolleyes:

thats the thing, i have that version too and the proper name is glm-vader.. but you are right it is the same pk3, i renamed it and can now join the server. :p

Wow...!!

I know im not speaking for myself when i say,

This is the mod that makes sense.

But ... But..?

What if those crazy Lucas Arts bean counters release yet another redundant patch..?

How much of a hassle will it be to compensate for whatever torturous patch they have in store for us next?

Thanks.

We all owe yuz.

I think that it is quite passible , you may have just saved Jedi Knight 2 from complete chaos.

Sorry ,no tips on gameplay yet, but i only just played it for 5 minutes and I just .... Well...

WOW!!

Thank God... err.. No thank coders and programers.

Same dif.

Id have to say this is a great mod and it will avoid losing the fluke duel every now and then.... but what does it do to the n00b who blue spams. I dunno if this mod if gonna give that annoying little hoe an advantage or a disadvantage. It sounds great all and all but if he can aim that blue spam slightly i think its just a way to give ythr noob the advantage.

Well its been great. FOR ME TO POOP ON!

I'm having a hard time verbalizing my question but here goes:

As I understand it, to get max damage from a swing the CSC must be small and red. The CSC gets smaller and more red the closer you get your crosshair (and your body) to your opponant. In order to get your crosshair on your opponant you must be facing them and they must be directly in front of you.

The concern I have with this is that there are some swings that are not as effective if your opponant is directly in front of you.

The most obvious one being, of course, the backswing/backstab. If you are behind me, my CSC won't be very small and red. So, if I execute a backswing/backstab will it not cause very much damage?

This also applies, to a lesser degree, to other swings. For instance, if I anticipate that my opponant will soon be infront of me but somewhat off-center to the left or right it would make sense for me to execute a Red Stance back-and-left (or back-and-right depending on what side they would be on) swing. In order to hit them with the begining portion of this swing I wouldn't want to be looking directly at them, but if I don't look directly at them then my CSC won't be small and red.

So I guess after all that my question is this: Is it better to aim my

saber swing or aim my crosshair? It seems to me (and of course I could be wrong) that right now it's better to aim the crosshair and that seems counterintuitive.

EDIT: FYI in-game I'm Soylent Green (and incase i didn't say it GREAT FRIKIN MOD!)

I finally played it and I agree with CoreyGH's statements.

My opinion:

The CSC is a great idea but it's TOO precise now. When people are running around all the time like they normally do, they move too quickly for even me (a very veteran gamer) to keep a good CSC lock and be able to have any sort of control over my saber combos. And god knows how bad this will get with internet levels of lag. :p Maybe if you came up with a reason for people to walk more.

I disagree with the complete lack of auto-blocking. While this would probably the way to go for a sword fighting game, it just doesn't make me feel like a Jedi. I have to stare directly at a opponent to even have a change of blocking him and that makes me easy pickings to another other opponents. I think a set of cvars to change the min. blocking rate for the different arcs would be great. That way you could set it up where you can stand a chance in FFA.

Anyway, that's all I can think of for now. Keep up the good work. :)

Razor Ace

Archived