Home

2001 A Space Odyssey

Absurd

How many of you have not seen the greatest sci-fi (space) movie ever made?

If you haven't, go rent it on DVD - widescreen.

It's the definitive sci-fi/space movie to compare all others to - in fact, if you haven't seen it, than you really can't understand what 'true sci-fi' is; yes it's that good.

The movie was made before we landed on the moon, but the realism is utterly mind-blowing.

You should understand that the author (Arthur C. Clarke) invented the concept of sattelites orbiting Earth before they were developed.

It's probably a more intense visual, sound, and musical experience than you'll suspect. It's a masterpiece.

:)

'Open the pod bay door, please HAL.'

'I'm sorry Dave, I'm afraid I can't do that.'

Aye, once you get past the 70's look on space fashion (both hair and clothes) the movie is great, and regardless of the form it takes the story offers a very plausible explanation on man's evolution beyond that of other mammals. The mood setting is capturing and it's awesome to see how you can hold an audience's attention with as little tools as the movie uses.

I've read the book and watched the movie(for English). I found the book to be scarier than the movie for sure. If you're wondering why I said scarier, it's because that movie was meant to be a bit of a horror movie. At least the book and movie is supposed to incite that mood in you, a feeling of paranoia. We analyzed that book so much, so I know what it's really about now.

I liked both the book and the movie, while they were not "whoa, absolutely, incredibly amazing!" they were very good. It was a little strange at some points, and when some people saw it when it first came out they left after the movie basically saying "WTF?"

I would like to see it redone actually, updated a bit, using some of today's digital technology. It would probably truly define the movie the way Clarke wanted it to be. Watching that scene where he entered the Star Gate, I thought I was gonna have a seizure:D

And with that I leave you with one of the most famous, and most eerie sayings of the movie. "I'm afraid I can't do that Dave"

Originally posted by Absurd

How many of you have not seen the greatest sci-fi (space) movie ever made?

If you haven't, go rent it on DVD - widescreen.

It's the definitive sci-fi/space movie to compare all others to - in fact, if you haven't seen it, than you really can't understand what 'true sci-fi' is; yes it's that good.

The movie was made before we landed on the moon, but the realism is utterly mind-blowing.

You should understand that the author (Arthur C. Clarke) invented the concept of sattelites orbiting Earth before they were developed.

It's probably a more intense visual, sound, and musical experience than you'll suspect. It's a masterpiece.

:)

I think Forbidden Planet was better. IMO

Originally posted by Absurd

They base everything on Kubrick but Clarke wrote the story and explained HAL in 2010.

They don't give Clarke any of the credit. And I didn't see any of the criticism of man's technology and evolution in the book.

Bad interpretation .. imo.

That pretty much sums it all up. It's like Dune....great special effects feature based on an intense novel........all gone wrong!

Archived