Home

first adventure

Nightcrawler187

• Replies 102
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The first adventure game (and also first video game, for that matter) I ever played was King's Quest 3. I had no idea what the main goal of the game was, but I loved it. I think it took me around 3 years to complete that one, but it definitely got me on the path to playing further adventure games.

Those Hugo games were kinda fun. That whole shareware explosion of the mid-to late-nineties still leaves me singin the blues (in the shower [naked {alone}]).

Originally posted by BooJaka15m

Sounds eerily like Maniac Mansion, don't you think?

I think that was the general idea ;)

There's also a game that's very similar to Hugo's House of Horror called 'Maddog Williams', and it's actually pretty funny in places - Or it was when I was 11. I remember having them all on one of those cheesy '1000 Games' compilations.

I think once a game has sequals then it should stay one type like monkey island 1 -3, insted of constantly changing ,

Gim Fandango was a good game because it was it's own story and started out in 3d (i think it would of sucked if it was in 2d) with 2D you can get so mutch more detailed charictures and backgrounds

Yes there was no big change but, going from the point and click 2d graphics to keyboard only, 3d graphics is a MAJOR change, and MI3 was actually a pretty decent game and had similarities to the 1'st and 2'nd MI games. with MI 4 you had more limitations and it took to long to do the simplest thing such as getting something out of the inventory.

But I see your point and I’m just expressing my opinion .

I thought that the 3D interface of Monkey Island was brilliant, although it did lack the atmosphere of the first two games (Not really atmospheric in CMI either).

But anyway, Let's face it. If Lucas Arts didn't step up to 3D, then the section devoted to Adventure Games would slowly gather dust, until BLAM. Star Wars games ruled the world.

The 3D-ness of Monkey Island also worked great on the PS2, and helped to create a whole new Adventure fanbase (although they might not know it yet), and the success of the game means that LEC will be willing to invest in more adventure games, such as Full Throttle 2, Sam & Max 2, Maniac Mansion 3, and those 5 new original titles that they're making (PLZ GOD).

Grim Fandango did come into its own, and worked a lot better than EMI due to sheer brilliance. You could smell the cigarette smoke. But EMI did have its moments, and deserves a little respect.

Viva la 3D gamés

Originally posted by guybrush guy

you said somthing about maniac mansion 3, i never heard anything about a 3rd maniac manson...

I bet you never heard of the 5 original adventure games they were making either.. ;)

..Because they don't exist :)

Originally posted by GendoTheGreat

I like the idea of a Manic Mansion 3 (or Day of the Tentacle 2, if you prefer) but what would they do about a story?

Well, it would probably be the easiest game to sequel-ize really, because there are many many possibilites.

Originally posted by guybrush guy

oh i did not say there were bad and i did like them, i just felt they could have been a little better, plus the sound quality was not very good (or it could of just been my sound card)

Yeah, next time those lousy actos should try and make their voices sound a little less...compressed. In fact, they should hide in your speakers and voice-act at exactly the right time or be force fed Marmite & Squirrel sandwiches.

Archived