Home

Grappling hook

-Tercero-

I rarely make requests, but I couldn't hold this one in any longer. If anyone remembers WOD for Quake II, they'll know what I'm talking about. I'd really like to see a grappling hook with physics. I love the way the physics of the jetpack work, and they made me want it even more. I'd just love to be able to swing on a grappling hook, rather that just be pulled statically toward my target. Furthermore, the world of Star Wars is littered with grappling hooks - Luke rescues Leia and himself with one in A New Hope, and Jango Fett uses one to combat Obi-Wan in Attack of the Clones. I think that it would add something to the game being able to manuver vertically without a jetpack, and when used in tandem with the force or a jetpack, it would prove a powerful mode of transit. Again, anyone who has played WOD will know what I'm taking about. It was rare that you walked anywhere - the grappling hook almost became my main mode of transit. If anyone is interested, I'd me more than happy to make any custom models or such that would be needed.

Thanks for hearing me out - I just needed to get that out there.

• Replies 96
  • Created
  • Last Reply

howdy,

i shouldn't really say this.. but i already coded a grappling hook with proper physics...

better than any i've seen anywhere...

anyone remember worms or something? well something like that only 3d :)

(if you don't remember, it 'bends' around corners :))

and you can drag bots when you're jetpacking ;)

we MIGHT just release it before our final mod is out (probably in combination with the jetpack mod)...

but for this we will probably not release the source.

I hope that you do release it early - I'd love to have a hook that works properly - the dragging bots options would be simply fantastic too - just like Jango in AOTC...

If you need anyone to beta-test it, I'd be extremely grateful if you'd consider me - also if you want to use my Anakin model in your mod or need a model for the grappling hook or anything else, just drop me an e-mail or a PM. I'd love to contribute to your project.

Originally posted by The Eternal

howdy,

i shouldn't really say this.. but i already coded a grappling hook with proper physics...

better than any i've seen anywhere...

anyone remember worms or something? well something like that only 3d :)

(if you don't remember, it 'bends' around corners :))

and you can drag bots when you're jetpacking ;)

we MIGHT just release it before our final mod is out (probably in combination with the jetpack mod)...

but for this we will probably not release the source.

OMG that sounds unreal, i know exactly what kind of hook you're talking about, i've played worms. And dragging bots?? that is incredible, can you drag human controlled players too?

Also if i were you i'd take Tercero up on his modeling offer. ;)

Did you need any hook models? I could whip up a number of different styles in a matter of hours - could have a whole package of them by Sunday night - they could be like sabers with hiltmods - pick your preference... heh heh... Seriously, though- if you need some graphics done for them I'd be glad to supply them.

Also, if you need someone to test it in MP, I'd be glad to - I run a LAN server in my house - it's firewalled and hidden from the internet, so the file couldn't get out on the net until you put it there.

Oh, and MULTIPLE PLAYERS!?! That must look so odd...

Heh i just took some screenshots for darth syrup ;) and tested multiple player dragging, but you can't (i could probably enable it easily ;)) and dragging still needs some tweaking (dragging doesn't have really proper physics yet, it works and rather good also, but still not perfectly).

also i think we could use a cool hook model and maybe rope texture (look in the base pk3 files whiteline.jpg i think, that texture is used right now) i can't guarantee they will be used because it's up to the entire team assault team :) but if we use them we'll offcourse give you credit for them :)

Grtz,

The Eternal

Originally posted by The Eternal

hehe yeah.. hasn't been tested really good in MP yet.. but if it can drag bots i'm 99.9% sure it can drag human players ;)

(it should even be able to drag MULTIPLE human players, but this is also untested with bots ;))

lol that was a pretty stupid question wasn't it, sure sounds great though.

Archived