Home

Death

leXX

Death is a weird subject to me, I think I am in a state of denial that I will ever die which is foolish

My best friend Trev thought this. He would tell me "Rick, I'm never gonna die. I'm gonna live forever just to piss off all the people who want to see me go."

He died on Friday the 13th, April, 3 months after he told me that. Car accident. (R.I.P.)

It put a whole new spin on death for me. Whenever I pass a funeral, I choke up just a little bit, because I know what those people go through, and I wouldnt wish it on anyone. I used to be curious about death, but now.... now I just wish that it didnt exist... (dont go into the sociological ramifications of this, please. :rolleyes:

Tyrion, I've encountered the dying animal feeling before. I was stacking firewood one day and I found a pillbug on the bottom of a log. Curious, I poked at it. Too hard, and it fell from the log, cracking on the blacktop below. It was on its back, and half its legs werent moving. It was curling up and stretching out, back and forth, and finally it curled up into a ball. I felt awful. It seemed that the merciful thing to do was to crush it and end its pain, even if it was only a bug.

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

i have a feeling i was the closest to my grandpa out of his grandkids, he had many names for me, and only one for my cousin (of equal age, we were his m&m's cuz both our names start w/m) and when he died i got scared, and realized i would never see him again, every time i've cried in my life doesn't equal the ammount i did that week, but i guess when he died (my mom sat and watched) he told her to turn out the light cuz it was too bright then he died, but one of my friends died from alcohol poisoning (for 15 seconds before they revived him) and he said he only saw black, so who knows what happens, i miss my grandpa soooo much, i just wish i could talk to him once more

Thank you so much everyone for your kind words.

I wasn't really close to my Grandad as he lived in Barbados but I was close to my Grandmother and her death (even though I knew it was coming) deeply hurt me.

Like I said, I'm not afraid of dying, I never have been, but I hate the thought of being burnt to death of floating slowly to the bottom of the sea.

My main concern is my family if I die. I know how distraut everyone would be and the thought of leaving my daughters and husband without me is scarey indeed.

Where do we go after we die? Who knows and to tell the truth I don't really care! I will have lived my life as best I can and that is all that really matters. So long as I leave a part of me behind, that is all I want.

Originally posted by leXX

Where do we go after we die? Who knows and to tell the truth I don't really care! I will have lived my life as best I can and that is all that really matters. So long as I leave a part of me behind, that is all I want.

My post will be short and to the point. You don't seem to be too worried about dying LeXX, and in a way, rightfully so. You have two daughters, your children, a part of you is in them. As such, in your children, and all descendents after them, you shall live forever:)

Originally posted by leXX

My main concern is my family if I die. I know how distraut everyone would be and the thought of leaving my daughters and husband without me is scarey indeed.

i felt the same way when i was about 15 my father had devorced my mother and my two brothers were liveing elsewhere and she was so deeply hurt that she felt bad every day and cryed a couple of times a week and i thought that if i die she mite die of greef. i felt like i was the only family she had left (even though my uncle came to live with us). that was the only time i was afraid of dieing.

but were ok now :D

Some people think im strange just because i see death as the only certain part of living. of course im sad if people die "before their time" or of an unfortunate cause but if someone dies of old age then im not really sad at all. i feel like theyve had as much time as humanly possible and that people should celebrate the life of this person. the only way in which i would be sad is if i miss the person, which i suppose isnt really about them dying, more of a selfish thing.

Death might seem scary, and I plan to live as long as I can, but think about this.... death might be the end, or maybe just the beginning, but you won't be facing it alone.

Every human being that has ever lived has had to face what you'll be facing, or has faced it already. In a sense, the entire human race is dying with you. So while we all might die along, we're really not alone.

So when you live, live, and when you die, go in peace.

As to the "God Helmet" I think it is the dream of many a materialist to be able to put religion into a neat little box with the label "irrational" on it and be done with it, but I doubt that will happen anytime soon. ; )

Anyhow, I see it one of two ways... it sounds interesting, but then it also sort of reminds me of Alex Chiu's magnetic foot-bracelets (ie: a bunch of hokum). On the other hand, it might be real, but it would be like taking steroids to get that buff look instead of doing the real exercise. Ie: a crappy shortcut to the real thing. Still, assuming it wasn't going to zap my brain, I wouldn't mind trying it out, just to see if there was anything to it.

(just don't ask me to fork over any $$$ first!)

Originally posted by Kurgan

Death might seem scary, and I plan to live as long as I can, but think about this.... death might be the end, or maybe just the beginning, but you won't be facing it alone.

Every human being that has ever lived has had to face what you'll be facing, or has faced it already. In a sense, the entire human race is dying with you. So while we all might die along, we're really not alone.

So when you live, live, and when you die, go in peace.

As to the "God Helmet" I think it is the dream of many a materialist to be able to put religion into a neat little box with the label "irrational" on it and be done with it, but I doubt that will happen anytime soon. ; )

Anyhow, I see it one of two ways... it sounds interesting, but then it also sort of reminds me of Alex Chiu's magnetic foot-bracelets (ie: a bunch of hokum). On the other hand, it might be real, but it would be like taking steroids to get that buff look instead of doing the real exercise. Ie: a crappy shortcut to the real thing. Still, assuming it wasn't going to zap my brain, I wouldn't mind trying it out, just to see if there was anything to it.

(just don't ask me to fork over any $$$ first!)

Well, it wouldn't quite be like taking steroids, unless the magnetic foot bracelets ruin your body, though I understand the sentiment. Calling something a bunch of hokum is kind of closed minded though, don't you think? Especially from someone who comes from a religious perspective--I mean, realistically, it's in your best interested to act based on an open mind, because if you don't, it winds up looking as though you picked your perspective randomly, rather than based on thoughtful consideration of any available theory. Though, when you honestly consider how verifiable the most accepted of 'facts' are, you begin to understand that we all better keep an open mind, else one day our pens will fall up and we will die of shock rather than adapting.

Which is not to say that I don't agree with your thoughts on this helmet, I see that as the same thing, from a different angle.

As for death, who really knows what it is, or what it can be? The most you can do is live life to the fullest. If it ends totally after that--great, you've done all you can! If it doesn't end after that, great! You've had a lot of fun, and are now ready to have more (unless you don't believe in Jesus...or Shiva...or Allah...or the Holy Savior Frank Smith... then you'll burn in hell!!). Lyger, in a rather brusqe manner, hit the nail on the head--live life the best you can (though to do that, you will have to consider your past, and plan your future, to an extent). In any case, missing those who are gone will always be a part of life, be it through death or any other means.

Archived