Home

warcraft3 or swgb

bill r

• Replies 165
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guest DarthMaulUK

SWGB is a far all round better game....graphics.. ohwell, we cant have everything.

Oh and by the way bill... create a thread like you did flaming someone and i WILL ban you from here... clear? thank you

DMUK

Sith, clickfest is hardly some word that I made up, so stop acting like it is. If an RTS has no econ and no strategy and is a boring piece of crap then it is a clickfest. If you like those kind of games so much then go play WC3 and try to pass the learning campaign in only one month, so you can beat your SWGB learning campaign time.

I am sorry to say this on a GB forum, but....

WARCRAFT ALL THE TIME WARCRAFT RULES BIG TIME!

Better graphics, better gameplay (after my opinion), much larger

difference from race to race, though still great balance, there is mages and cool heroes in Warcraft, and very important: 15643 TIMES BETTER STORY!!!

• 2 weeks later...

WC3 was kind of boring for me. I did play it a week though. Took me 1 1/2 days to beat the campains (way to easy on hardest level). The multiplayer game is more interesting in difficulty. There just wasn't to much different content in the game, stating from the point of view of different attack and defend routines. It pretty much becomes the same ol same ol really fast. Don't get me wrong though eventhough the campains were way to easy, the story line was good and was fun to play.

I thought Warcraft III was a really good game. Its graphics were great- just because your computer can't handle them doesn't mean they're bad. The storyline was very good, traditional of Blizzard, and the cinematics were awesome.

Gameplay was a bit limited, with the tech and unit tree being very small. The game was designed to focus far more on battle and far less on economy, base building, and micromanagement of your workers.

Some say this is bad. For me, it was OK. Every single RTS game these days seems to require huge amounts of work on your economy before you can even consider battle.

The single player campaigns had interesting and varied gameplay backed up by nice graphics, sound and cinematics.

The concept of hero exp and items was well done, and as I've said in the "Ideas for SW:GB 2," I think it would work even better in the SW universe.

There were some really good comedic touches, primarily with the unit responses. They really brought it alive in a way that GB doesn't.

You must admit, the storylines of the GB campaigns weren't exactly top-rate. Many of the missions were practically AoE missions with a new (Star Wars) look. And I'm not just talking about the learning campaign, which was only bearable because the Star Wars factor made it fun.

The Scenario Editor for WC3 was easy and quick to use, and triggers and the like were easily set, rather like the StarCraft editor. AoE's editor is getting rather outdated.

The multiplayer (or Custom Game, or whatever) was what let WC3 down. Back to the typical base-build-army-kill-enemies 'strategies,' which aren't really strategies because they're so basic. Not to say it's too easy or anything, just that it's been done so many times. The heroes made it a lot better though.

GB definitely wins hands down in the 'custom game' arena. Varied strategies and a wide range of units, coupled with the fact that it's Star Wars, makes it a whole lot of fun.

Now that I've finished the WC3 campaigns, I barely ever play online or just play a normal Custom Game, while I do often come back to play GB's Custom Games.

I guess that's really the deciding factor. GB has a large replay value, while WC does not. But still, the single player game plays a large part, so I'd have to declare it a tie.

LA could learn a lot from WC3 and many other upcoming RTS games. Move to a new engine and put more work into the campaigns and GB has it hands-down.

• 2 weeks later...

I liked them both, each for different reasons. The one rub against WC3 is the limited viewable area. I mean really. Surely blizzard could make a game that can handle higher resolutions. It's hard at times dealing with strategy when you cant see all the units fighting. However, SWGB has the same sort issue when the long ranged units get involved. Even so, they are still fun to play...

Well.... sith, I don't know what makes you think that.

It's not about hitting the "create" button faster. It's about fielding different armies, different strategies, use of special abilities eg. spells, countering those spells, etc. etc.

Economy is about hitting the "build" button faster, if that's the way you want to put it. Producing more workers, sending those workers off to get resources, putting buildings down in a certain pattern (if that counts as an interesting part of the game), etc. Defensive structures and the like is far more of a "battle" part than an "economy" part, so don't try to bring those up.

AoM sounds pretty good, but that's not what the debate is about. What kind of balance, in your opinion, does GB have?

This is LUCAS FORUMS. Don't ask stupid thing like :'WC3 or SWGB?' It is OBVIOUS that everybody (or almost) here will prefer SWGB...

But because I like defend my ideas I will tell you my opinion...

WarCraft III is much better than SWGB... And I have played both games since they are out so I know what I'm talking about.

Why?

Simple :

Graphics : Tell me that SWGB's graphics are better then WC3's and I'll kill you. WC3 wins here.

Gameplay : WC3 is far more strategic. Why? You can't get hundreds of units and you actually have to MICROMANAGE. The four races in WC3 are completly different. The 8 civs in SWGB are... well... not SO different. WC3 wins here.

Story : I would say they are both equal here. WC3's story isn't that great, since the most fun part is multiplayer on BATTLE.NET (not some crappy thing like 'The Zone'. On the other side, SWGB's story would have been better if it was the movie's story. That's a tie.

Replay Value : Once you have finished the campaigns, SWGB gets more boring... You can still play on the zone, but it gets repetitive... WC3's campaign is more a training; it'll get you ready for b.net. WC3 wins here.

Sound : I have to say here that SWGB wins. LucasArts' sounds are really great.

Final score : WC3 : 3 SWGB : 1 1 tie

Even if I play almost only play WC3, I still SOMETIMES play SWGB...

But don't forget that we are comparing here a new game (WC3) and a game that was based on some old game (SWGB almost = AoE).

So, my final opinion is :

WHY DID LUCASARTS MADE SWGB BASED ON AGE OF EMPIRES???

Cmon guys, just imagine what it would have been if based on something like SC... or better yet, WC3!

*Sorry if I hurted your feelings in this small review*

Archived