Home

Before you ask about new saber animations LOOK HERE!!!

TheWhiteRaider

Well, your info is flawed. There are actually quite a few people in this community who have this very expensive software that you speak of. The problem with making new animation for the game is that there is currently no way to import any new animation into the game.

Actually MAKING this animation isn't all that complex :)

Anakin of the aotc:tc mod has been working with James Monroe on the animation issue, he's currently stuck at the moment, that's one of the reasons I joined the mod, to help get it back on track.

I haven't gotten much of an opportunity to speak to Anakin about it yet, the website just got up, and the forums are still down. Hopefully we can get on the same page soon and begin to iron out the problems we're having

Originally posted by [sTGN]Locutus

Can you get animations to replace others? If you can can't you just replace an unimportant one? Like "jan moves hand" with "Both arms up"(like jango)

Yea... you SHOULD be able to replacee animations like that. The Jedimoves Mods basically does that, replaces the roll with a cartwheel... gives Desann Kyle's saber style... etc.

Ok, I'll explain the situation....

When Raven changed the Quake 3 engine for JK2 they did some changes. They changed the animation and model system to their propritary formats (.glm and .gla) and partly-implimented the Ghoul 2 system. So, as such, there's one animation file for each type of model (humaniod, R2 unit, etc.) and this is hardcoded into the individual models (They reference their correct animation file inside the model's .glm file.) The problem is, we don't have much access to the .gla format information or tools. It seems that the humaniod.gla is a compiled format like a source code. This means that it can't be modified without A) a tool to merge in new animations to the file OR B) the uncompiled copy of the humaniod.gla file. But we can, in fact, create entirely new animation files.

HOWEVER, there are three tricky workarounds that, IN THEORY, could work:

1. Rewrite the animation function in the code to accept more than one animation file per model.

Downside: TCK has scanned the code and claims that this isn't possible as the hard code for the animation function is inside the executible.

Upside: I think it's still possible with the level of access we have to the code. I'm going to look into myself at some point down the road.

2. Create new animation files and models that reference them. Downside: You'd have to redo ALL the animations; Stellarwinds claims that the MP code executible can't handle more than one animation file; Only new models would be able to use the new animations.

Upside: It's probably possible.

3. There's a move bone function that is callable. So if someone has the skill and time. You could write a new animation function that could run whatever format you want.

Downside: VERY hard and time consuming; The MP executible problem mentioned in 2.

Upside: It's probably possible.

People have looked into this and we ARE trying. It's a complicated problem and the solution may prove to be harder to do than it's worth. Me, I'm for 1 and 3 as it would allow you to use the current animations and the new animations at the same time. Here's hopeing. :)

As for Covex's statement, the system can handle remixes or changes of the current animations for whatever moves you want. BUT you can limited to whatever is inside the current animation file. Details are here.

Feel free to ask me any questions about it. I want new animations as much as anyone. :D

:cool: Basicaly to start on 'kung fu' stuff for the Blade Mod but also to help kick start Matrix/Anime mods.

'Easy' one: Replace the Force Push with a Punch (left hook) animation.

Tougher one: Replace the kiss with a vampire 'bite', ie one chatachter 'kisses' the other is still).

Don't even know if I should bother: When landing from a high jump/fall goes into a crouch , ie meditative crouch animation.

Other stuff would require more 'hard' coding. I'll take a look at the code, if I get lost (odds are..) I'll ask for help.

maybe you didn't understand. You can't change the animations in the animation file. All you are doing is playing the old animations in a different order. The Purple special from JediMod is actually the dance animation that played while your character jumps into the air.

For player to player interaction you might be able to change the positions that the models move in relation to each other to make it LOOK like one person is biting the other but you can't change the actual animations in the file.

:cool: Yea.. I was just talking conceptually in that case, sorry. (I was the dude who brought up replacing animations... I'm the lazy guy remember?)

It'd be more for cutscenes or scripted events, one NPC goes through the motion of 'the kiss' (ie holding the shoulders, movi... why the heck am I describing a kiss...? man I need sleep..) The other npc would be stuck with the 'I don't know' pose at the 'cost' of some other animation... say the 'typing' animations one.

You still don't understand. You don't LOSE any animations by remixing the animations. All you're doing is using the animation function to activation certain frames in the humaniod.gla file. Nothing is lost or changed when you do this. All you're doing is adding some addition animation calls to the code.

Archived