Home

Tip against gunners?

RedHerring

The only tactic I've heard of against gunners is pull to pull their weapons away or push back their missle/repeater sec fire/thermal dets.

However, this doesn't work too well, after playing for an hour with level 3 pull i've only pulled away 1 weapon away. Should I aim harder?

What are some other tricks to help against gun whores?

It's more of a risk, but pull works best at close range. Jump around to get close, or jump on their head and pull just before you land when you're close. Most good gunners will use absorb though, so it's often usless.

If they're using any gun you can defend against with the sabre don't bother pulling, get close and kill them with the deflections.

If they're using explosive stuff, anticipate their fire and push it back at them and run. Try and get some distance and then shoot them back. You're not going to win every time sabre vs gun.

Yeah, what he said. :)

Another thing is that if they are using a gun that can hurt them or explosives, you can try getting close. It makes pushing thermals away harder, but if they hurt you they hurt themselves. Another thing is to get close and pull their gun, and while they are changing just saber through. Or, you can run away and snipe them.

Don't skimp on the points your put into Sight either...

At Lvl3 sight you automatically dodge sniper shots when you are standing still. I remember one game I played where me and an opponent with the Disruptor were standing in the same room. Each time he shot my character dodged the blast instead of catching it with the saber...

We both just stood where we were while he shot, and called others in to look...No matter how fast he shot my character ducked, and weaved and bobbed and never got hit. When he started aiming lower than my waist, that was when I started blocking shots instead of dodging them.

So that's a way to deal with snipers...

Missiles, just push them back.

Alt-fire on the repeater, the same (although the rate of fire on that is so extreme you can never push them ALL back).

I guess the best suggestion is to use Speed to close the distance as fast as you can. NO gunner can stand up to a saberist nose to nose.

Thanks for the tips, i was hoping someone had a cure-all tactic but guess not. Oh well.

I think I'll try experimenting with my force combos.

Right now i have (for jedi master)

3 jump

3 push

1 pull

1/0 speed

1 sight

3 absorb

3 heal

blah blah

Maybe I should use more defensive powers or use them more defensively.

im an elite gunner and i think the best way to combat gunning depends on the gun your opponent has. against anyone with a laser or reflectable, not flechette or repeater just block it. with lv 3 defense you'll hurt them much more than them to u. if they have a flechette, ur usually dead if its a good gunner. but if you are close to them. use force push. usually this way, you'll damage them alot and many times you can die with them. if they are just starting as newbs you can time there shots and push right before they shoot so there shots will always hit them right after they shoot. but the best way to win for me is to run when i have sabz and load up and get a gun while avoiding the enemies. don't let them get a gun in the first place. time your items with a stop watch and come back as they spawn. you'll own them that way if you control the best items. so the best way against the flechette and rep. is to use one of those weapons. the repeater is deadly for air battle since all you have to do is fire a shot when they land., since they can't push shots back without firing. either they choose to push or shoot. which usually dogding and shooting is the best choise. for a gunning level like dstar, almost always have seeing toggled. another way to win is that some ppl get carried away when gunning and since they are in first person. u can drop them over an edge before they know whats going on.

BSB_KyNeS

Originally posted by tempest8008

I guess the best suggestion is to use Speed to close the distance as fast as you can. NO gunner can stand up to a saberist nose to nose.

thats one of the things elite gunners want ppl to do. first if they have speed its easier to force push them back. and with flechettte its easy to hit them once while they are coming. if they have absorvb and speed they probably can't follow you into the air so just jump up and fire a shot in the air down at them. second, if in a hallway, a gunner can just move past the moving saberist though this is risky and a good saberist can kill when one is moving

ummm

yes BSB is elite but doesnt realize there is a timer in the engine.

u dont need a stopwatch big guy

cg_drawtimer 1

oh but now i bet thats a hack

err, there are saber only servers morons so play on those unless u are actually trying to fight gunners(why???)

should i mention the above is the reason why this game is competitivly dead? (hint: gj raven w/patching)

if u really must play with a gunner timing items is effective, large shield is every 20 secs, and play the map smart, ok im done giving saber advice

• 3 weeks later...

Well, I'm not entirely sure, but I guess the best advice would be to combat guns with guns. Try to always grab a flechette or a repeater with enough ammo before you go off combating, so you can switch to one of these if someone's trying to nail you down from the distance. While it is possible to camp one weapon on a map, controlling two or three is problematic because they respawn way too fast (not Quake II for you). Thus you should usually be able to get at least one good gun yourself should you need to combat a gunner (unless it's a tourney/ctf/teamplay). Absorb...

ctf games orthe best games for guns and stuff, a good saberist tip: use mind trick, a good gunner tip: hide in dark places and use disrupter, or stand in high place and use repeater

I've beating plenty of people in ctf by bombing them with the imperial repeater, and sniping them with disrupter when they get the flag

Mind trick is the way to go

best way to kill a Gunner is suprise him. because if you go toe to toe with a good gunner you will lose.

I find much pleasure defeating pure saberists with my guns. Also i like the fact they have a duel mentality and don't run away until one of us is dead.

It allways makes me laugh with the saber people start complaing about people with guns. There are plenty of Saber only servers for you, compared to Saber/guns server or guns only

Archived