Home

Buying computer: Athlon or Pentium4?

Qui-GONE Jinn

You went missing for a while, or I wasn't seeing your name in the threads too often....

It has only recently been changed, in the last month or so. But the same rides are there, the Spam Rollercoaster especially. The Tunnel of Trolls has been added recently....

It is the Official Swamp Theme Park though!!

Thank you again, guys. It's been useful reading your comments.

I ordered the machine yesterday, and it should be here in one - two weeks. It's going to be great to get a new system, instead of the old PIII 450 mhz, 128 mb ram, 16 mb banshee...;)

How long do you think my new configuration will last?

Cool - was looking for a little 3rd party advice.

Okay, first, the site I am looking at for a computer:

http://www.studentcomputers.co.uk (Im in England)

http://www.studentcomputers.co.uk/computers/new-computers.htm

Gaze in wonder and drool in awe at the Athlon Custom Extreme (my choice) and the next one (Bear in mind that this is for Uni students)

Take that, swap an 80Gb HD for a 20Gb HD, Genius Network Card, RAM to 1Gb, Speakers to Creative Labs FPS1600.

Only £966.99 w/ P&P.

I wanna do 3D MAX and mod and stuff. I figured this could handle it!

My mates here have all suddenly decided to upgrade as well!

Good? Bad? What you reckon!

from my experience and from my readings and research, Athlon is much better in performance in the long run, until you get to the XEON.

AMD, despite having a slightly lower FSB, has a shorter bus length, which in turn, means faster processing since there is less traveling, were as the p4 has the longest of the major chipset brands (INTEL, AMD, Motorola). I've been using AMD processors for the past 3 years, and despite a flaw in just one of the processors, which was related to a Power supply going bad, I've had a very enjoyable experience with the chips. Now my experience with the Pentium-brands has been just the opposite. Besides losing my processor twice in 95 and 98, the chip has either cracked over time, or just went defective. So, whenever someone asks me what processor they should go with, I tell them if they are smart, go with AMD.. if they want to spend an extra $100 or more for the same speeds that they'dbe getting with an AMD, I say p4... 100% of the time they go with AMD :D

Archived