Home

translate lucas games! (brazil)

dayon

Hey dudes...

im a adventure fan... and i have a idea... i like to translate the old adventure games (maniac mansion, zak mckrakken, monkey island 1, etc...) to portuguese language...

anyone can help me??

i need know how to to make this (i got c SCUMM Revisited 2.0.12.46)

i need the source code of games? where i can find this?

i like to know where i can find zak mckrakken VGA version too.. anyone have the news versions??? i can wait to play... i found a new version on net... but in germany language... anyone know where have a english version???

well.. thats all

:rolleyes:

Well.... sourcecode... not possible, but you can use a HEX editor, to translate AFAIK. I did it with a freeware gameboy ROM...not sure what it was named... But I got it from: http://kontek.net/pp/roms/gameboy/ under homemade games...

I'm not really sure that you can translate the LEC games via a HEX editor, since it took me a few months only for one ROM! It's quite time requirering.

Oh, and never ever ask for the sourcecode again....!

We haven't made those games..... That's LucasArts.

Oh, and one more thing.... NEVER ASK FOR WAREZ GAMES HERE! :mad:

LucasArt's giving out source? They won't even let us clone their functionality. hehe.

Ok, translations:

- Translation can be done with a hex-editor. First simply xor with the decrypt value ScummRev gives you (if any), then edit.

- Limitations: You have to be careful about removing control codes (they usually are set like: \0xFF \0xXX \0xXX) in the middle of messages

You cannot replace a string with a longer or smaller string, without writing code to decompile a script and alter jump offsets then recompile.

You can release the translation as a patch for a given version, so you won't have legal troubles (AFAIK).

--edit, oops, I didn't see Ender's last post before I posted this one.

Indy3 VGA is not crypted (you can read the text if you hex edit the files). But, as Ender said, your translation must be as long as the original text.

A french translation of Indy3 256 has been done, but I can't put a link to the site, because there's a link to a big oldwarez website on it.

You cannot replace a string with a longer or smaller string, without writing code to decompile a script and alter jump offsets then recompile.
Could descumm do the decompiling part of the job?

Originally posted by Zorbid

Could descumm do the decompiling part of the job?

Theoretically. We even have a very hackish SCUMM script compiler that recompiles the output from DeScumm (sometimes even sucessfully! :). But, DeScumm is not really accurate enough to go translating a large number of scripts. It's opcode tables are frequently outdated with the latest work in ScummVM, and it quite often makes a mess of things - expecially in EARLIER games, where variable references and jumps are far more vauge.

It does an acceptable job at V6/V7, most of the time, but those newer games usually have translations already anyway.

Also recompiling a script with offset changes will likely make any kind of patch large enough that it would include enough of the original game data to be a very easy target for LucasLegal.

Well, I'll hav to wait to translate Zak256 then...

BTW, could you tell me how to decrypt Zak256 in order to make the text human readable (or tell me where in the ScummVM source I can find it). I've tried to xor it with 0xFF (which works with zak and Indy EGA), but it doesn't work with Zak 256.

Zak256 is quite rare.....

But less than Indy3 FM-Towns ;)

I don't want to spread the game, only it's translation.

I feel so stupid (am I? definitely...)

I've just realised that the files were not XORed... I don't know how I missed that. Well, so long, please forget I ever posted :o.

Archived