Home

Promod 3.0 Released!

ArtifeX

Originally posted by $am

Hey Atifex I cant get on your server for some reason every time i try it says mismatch bajesk/promod. whats wrong

That's because you need the version of promod said at the error message to join.I also got the same message but I didn't want to auto dl so I didn't join.You'll need auto-dl.

Anyway,I'm concentrating on SP now and no time to play Promod but it looks nice.The only gripe I got about Promod 3 is the fuel gauge.I'd like something better.

• Replies 209
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Whats the deal with the new jetpack?

It say on the website or in the readme or something 'Realive you Obi-Wan Vs Jango fantasys' well not much chance of that, the jetpack is waaay to slow. i suggest you go and watch episode 2 again.The fuel runs out far to quickly aswell, did jango fly a puny few meters then fall back down again?? NO

other than thats it's great, good job :p

Originally posted by [KOC]Qui-Zan

It say on the website or in the readme or something 'Realive you Obi-Wan Vs Jango fantasys' well not much chance of that, the jetpack is waaay to slow. i suggest you go and watch episode 2 again.The fuel runs out far to quickly aswell, did jango fly a puny few meters then fall back down again?? NO

I'll handle this one, Art.

Perhaps the fuel is somewhat lacking, but that's simply for game purposes. It would be cheap to have unlimited fuel like in JediPLUS. And as for speed: play ProMod, fly around a bit. Don't do nothin, just fly. Now load up JediPLUS and turn on jetpack and fly around a bit.. I'm pretty sure they're the same speed. And besides, you can recreate a Jango VS Obi quite easily, especially with the Jango Pistol Bryar replacement and level 4.. Recreates it very well, though I've yet to try it against anybody.

I'm also concerned about the "free" forcefields that high level gadget users can obtain...

Forcefields are the single most contributing factor to lag in the game, even one forcefield can completely remove a 56ker from a game, two forcefields will remove a low level broadbander, and 3... well it will lag the game to hell and back.

Giving people free use of this item... I forsee touble.

The trouble of speed (ie people being in and out of a base before you can react), stems from poor level design more than poor gameplay design. People could move a lot faster in JK1 and ther was never a problem concerning CTF.

You might find jumping before jet very useful and fuel conserving. You can reach great hieghts yet take no damage at touch down.

I do think the jet can use some more control, like 45 degree backwards-up or sideways-up. Currently you can only rocket into the sky but travel not very far.

The forcefield hasn't become a problem yet, but that's only because no one is caring to use them yet. I've used it about twice.

My machine is one the higher end than most, although my video card is still only geforce 2. I don't know if that shield thing is mostly a graphics thing, or if it really just pulls the whole system down. Actually, i think someone got a bright idea to do it once, and it did indeed throw the entire server down.

Anyway, played the game for about two hours last night with good ping finally.

The system is balanced. My only concern is still going to remain with the force powers, since i've always been about giving force powers, especially the dark side, more offensive capability.

Push/Pull works.

dark rage works

Protect: good job

absorb: it shall never be touched, not yet at least. we'll see if normal absorb gets abusive later on. It hasn't been abusive in the past i guess, we'll see.

drain: ah, no one really has time to use this power. I'm not saying it's abusive either, just wondering if it's work the points.

lightning: ...... no good. this game, while the movement is slow compared to most games, requires extremely quick reflexes. the gunners have even deadlier guns now. saberists can kill at the flick of a wrist (pending their stupid graphics card wouldn't carry such a low framerate!!!! I'm getting a new card @#@#@). Force lightning, with decreased range, etc., is useless, except in perhaps duel mode. ffa, tffa, ctf, etc., where we're not about long battles but quick kills, or quick injury, lightning a person with guns is like asking for death. Grip. Again, asking for death. IT's not game breaking at all, just an observation. I know you can use all the force powers in situations, and grip is great at dumping people in holes, i've done it all. it's just that over time, everyone knows the general uses, and now even the jetpack toting warriors are laughing at my powers. That's alright though.

Originally posted by [KOC]Qui-Zan

Remember, while trying to stay true to the movies is a priority for me, it has to take a back seat to gameplay. Allowing the jetpack to have any more thrusting power or any more fuel would begin to imbalance the gunners vs. the jedi.

Also, count how many seconds you see a jetpack turned on at one time in the movies. The longest burst I found was when Jango dragged Obi-Wan around outside the Kamino installation, and that was still only a few seconds.

Originally posted by DeTRiTiC-iQ

I'm also concerned about the "free" forcefields that high level gadget users can obtain...

Forcefields are the single most contributing factor to lag in the game, even one forcefield can completely remove a 56ker from a game, two forcefields will remove a low level broadbander, and 3... well it will lag the game to hell and back.

The trouble of speed (ie people being in and out of a base before you can react), stems from poor level design more than poor gameplay design. People could move a lot faster in JK1 and ther was never a problem concerning CTF.

I was unaware of the lagging problem. I'll definitely stay alert for any reports of this. Detritic, would you be interested in helping to test it?

I agree big time that level design is a serious problem in jk2. It is painfully obvious that the original designers had no idea how fast their levels would be traversed by speed/ragers. The 10 second flag capping runs on ctf_bespin should really embarrass the map's designer. The force field is really my attempt to allow the players to dynamically change the flow of the level. They have to be able to until more good ctf maps become available that keep the fast travelling speed in mind.

Originally posted by Homeboy

You might find jumping before jet very useful and fuel conserving. You can reach great hieghts yet take no damage at touch down.

I do think the jet can use some more control, like 45 degree backwards-up or sideways-up. Currently you can only rocket into the sky but travel not very far.

I've actually considered this already for 3.1. Currently, you recieve a boost only directly upwards when using the pack. I will change that in 3.1 if, after testing it, I think that it won't affect the balance too much.

Originally posted by Doctor Shaft

The forcefield hasn't become a problem yet, but that's only because no one is caring to use them yet. I've used it about twice.

My machine is one the higher end than most, although my video card is still only geforce 2. I don't know if that shield thing is mostly a graphics thing, or if it really just pulls the whole system down. Actually, i think someone got a bright idea to do it once, and it did indeed throw the entire server down.

Anyway, played the game for about two hours last night with good ping finally.

The system is balanced. My only concern is still going to remain with the force powers, since i've always been about giving force powers, especially the dark side, more offensive capability.

Push/Pull works.

dark rage works

Protect: good job

absorb: it shall never be touched, not yet at least. we'll see if normal absorb gets abusive later on. It hasn't been abusive in the past i guess, we'll see.

drain: ah, no one really has time to use this power. I'm not saying it's abusive either, just wondering if it's work the points.

lightning: ...... no good. this game, while the movement is slow compared to most games, requires extremely quick reflexes. the gunners have even deadlier guns now. saberists can kill at the flick of a wrist (pending their stupid graphics card wouldn't carry such a low framerate!!!! I'm getting a new card @#@#@). Force lightning, with decreased range, etc., is useless, except in perhaps duel mode. ffa, tffa, ctf, etc., where we're not about long battles but quick kills, or quick injury, lightning a person with guns is like asking for death. Grip. Again, asking for death. IT's not game breaking at all, just an observation. I know you can use all the force powers in situations, and grip is great at dumping people in holes, i've done it all. it's just that over time, everyone knows the general uses, and now even the jetpack toting warriors are laughing at my powers. That's alright though.

A couple of things:

1. Don't underestimate Grip. I've lowered it's minimum usage cost at level 3 from 60 pts to 40 pts. That will allow you to get two quick Grips in to stun your opponent. This is really, really dangerous to a gunner. It stops his momentum completely. Play against Lazarous when he's using this. You'll find you'll get killed quite a bit. Couple this with Dark Rage and you've got a serious challenge for a gunner.

2. I did extend the range of lightning a bit. I'll have to mess with it in all the different game modes to see if it can stand a lengthening again without becoming a problem in a jedi vs. jedi duel.

It only affects framerate.. well, for me anyways, and even then it was only vs bots who were droping fields very annoyingly

I'd really like to find an expert gunner to have a 1v1 against lazarous in a few different game modes. Laz is aware of most of the Jedi techiques for fighting gunners, and I've yet to run across a gunner that has a similar level of familiarity with missle weapons.

Can anyone nominate someone that might like to go for a scheduled match? I know I can pester Laz into it, but I really need to find a gunner that's willing to learn the intricacies of Promod 3.0 to really test my theories.

I'm going to set this up somehow. Let's start looking for a gun-jockey.

Originally posted by t3rr0r

the mod itself is great, and i feel the fuel cost is just fine... but the jetpack often craps out on me (stops thrusting upwards sometimes when i oviously have fuel left).

That was because of lag packets. Commands wouldn't get through to the game so your jetpack is usually useless, which is why im sick of attempting to escape with it cuz if i'm not simply falling because the jetpack has crapped out, its cuz Lazarous is hunting me down like a dog with push/pull!!! Everybody on Artifex's server seems to have it in for me: If I so much as show my skin around in a foolish attempt to kill someone I'm dead in 5 seconds by the badgering of the vet's: Lagarous(not a typo), Blind Moridan, Rad Blackweed(not a typo), Guardian Omega, ZeroWingZero, etc.

Originally posted by t3rr0r

the mod itself is great, and i feel the fuel cost is just fine... but the jetpack often craps out on me (stops thrusting upwards sometimes when i oviously have fuel left).

If the connection to the server is bad, then the jetpack will lose some thrust, that's true. I'm going to talk to some of the developers at Raven that I've had contact with and see if I can figure out some kind of fix for this.

I have a feeling its because the server is turning on an event flag that the client relies on to predict your movement, so if you're lagging and the server packet doesn't make it to you, then you'll lose thrust for that frame. Gonna take some thought on how to work around this though.

I'm going to set this up somehow. Let's start looking for a gun-jockey.
The only gun-jockey I've ever met that might have a chance at defeating Lazarous consistently is Lazarous himself. His talents don't just end with the saber. Laz's jetpacking evasion tactics are crazy, and I've never seen anyone fight with more ruthless cunning and precision.

Most of the uber-gunners of the vanilla game haven't yet mastered the jetpack. You might find an easier matchup with Laz as a gunner against a promod Jedi, though I'm still at a loss as to who specifically could take Laz on. But I can tell you it's not me -- my mind-trick spamming lets me kill him occasionally, but he's way too clever for it most of the time.

Your right, I'm not sure there is anybody currently on the same level as Laz with the saber or guns. I'm not nearly as good as him, but I usually finish in the top one or two (unless laz is there) in scoreing at the end of the game. He'd probly still beat me 70% of the time, but as a crafty Jedi I'd love to take him on 1 vs 1 if it would help you further with balance :)

Well, maybe what we can do is set up a queue of players who want a crack at him (me included), and see who has the most success. We can rotate a new challenger into the game every 5 kills or so. We'll set it up as an FFA on ffa_ns_hideout, which is probably the most advantage-neutral map that I can think of.

I'll talk to Laz and see how he feels about being marked for death by the whole Promod community. :]

BTW people, one thing about level 4 guns: do not underestimate the power of the DEMP2 at level 4. It has truly come into its own. It is by far the deadliest weapon in large maps such as ffa_ns_streets. It's the only hitscan splash damage weapon in the game, and it does double damage to shields.

tell me the bonuses to level 4 disrupter and level 4 bryar, and I'll consider the challenge :)

All level 4 weapons have the following enhancements:

+25% damage, +25% firing rate, +25% charging rate bonus (yes, this means sniping rate is increased).

Archived