Home

Promod 3.0 Released!

ArtifeX

**Update**

Download from jediknightii.net

**Update**

That's right, after 3 long months of development, Promod 3.0 is ready for public release. I have uploaded the file to both fileshack.com and jediknightii.net, and am going to upload it to other locations soon. I'll post the links here as they become available.

I want to thank ZeroWingZero, Blind Moradin, Lazarous, Toonces, Fatalstrike, Syfo-Dyas, Narbes and his clan, and everyone else who helped out with this release. Their help in testing and creating content for this release helped me immeasurably.

What's new in 3.0? Too much to remember. Here's the quick and dirty version:

1. First Class-based mod for Jedi Outcast - You can dynamically alter your skillset to include Force Powers or Gunnery skills, or create a hybrid of both. Only be aware that the high level skills are reserved for Jedi and Gunnery purists.

2. All new Jetpack! - Fans of Tribes 2 will welcome the jetpack that is available to Gunners with level 4 Gadget skills. It comes complete with dual-thruster effects and a fuel gauge to limit its use.

3. Class Enhanced Duel Gametype - Now you can live your Obi-Wan vs. Jango fantasy in a Duel match. Gunners will spawn with any weapon they have a level 4 skill for and one clip of ammo, regardless of whether the weapon is available in the current map.

4. Enhanced Level 4 Weapons - All weapons become more powerful in the hands of a Gunner with level 4 skills. Damage, firing rate and charge-up rate are all markedly increased.

5. Expanded support for the Combat Strength Crosshair(CSC) - A Jedi's ability to reflect projectiles is now based upon the CSC. The worse your aim is relative to the shot, the longer it will take you to recover from the block, which will leave holes in your defense for other bolts to bypass your defenses.

6. Enhanced CTF and Team FFA Experience - special attention was payed to the balancing of the classes in CTF and Team FFA gametypes. Thanks to all the highly skilled CTF clan members that helped out with this testing.

There's plenty more new stuff in this release. The amount of code written for 3.0 has multiplied by a factor of ten over the Beta 2 version. I'll be making a large news update to the Promod site that will contain an exhaustive list of everything I can still remember, so if you're interested in more detail, look there. You can also expect a strategy guide for 3.0 to be available soon.

I'll try to keep updating this post as the download links come online.

• Replies 209
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Artifex, I must once again thank you from the bottom of my heart for maintaining your vigilence in bringing jedi outcast, and perhaps what even jedi knight, where it should have always gone towards.

It's like with Mysteries of the Sith -- they had some good ideas going on with the class system, but they really just didn't take it to that place it needed to go.

Then in JO, they had the force power assignement for lightsaber styles, but then they forgot that they were allowing everyone to be expert marksman with expensive and advanced gunnery for free.

They gave us spectacular moves, but a damage system and hit detection system that wasn't straight.

You tackled the root of the problem, maintained the core of the game, and then added a little flavor to it.

And all this when my brother has a better machine to play too. I forsee him and I getting some double team action going on. Two flying bounty hunters!?!?!? W00t.

Thanks again Artifex. Without promod, I probably would have considered JO a bad purchase. I wasn't even interested in the single player game, barely played it (sorry fans of single player, but after years of nothing but single player, including all the earlier dark force titles, you can imagine how unexciting another single player adventure sounded), and when multiplayered turned out to be lackluster for me, I was bummed. But now, after some patience, I can have fun again. Hopefully there are servers closer to me now though, Penn State isn't exactly the best place to get internet service from sometimes.

well doctor shaft i can't agree with you that i think that JO wouldn't have been a good purschase, even withough promod i love dueling, ANYWAY... i have to say that promod makes jedi vs merc one million times better. its fun to be a gunner and its fun to be a saberer. i want to play a huge ctf game, jedi vs mercs hehe

anyhow good job

- Lightsaber styles now are effected by the new Stance Trumping System, which allows each stance a bonus to offense and defense depending on which style your opponent is using. Blue stance trumps Yellow, Yellow trumps Red, and Red trumps Blue. This bonus is +5 to both your offense and defense. Conversely, a trumped style receives a -5 offense and -5 defense penalty. Anticipate your opponent's choice of stance!

*scratches head* I thought the Trump system would be the *OTHER* way around...

For the jet pak, I'd really love to use the "jump" key for that. Like jump when on the ground and jet when in the air. Much more efficient this way. Also the jet is very vulnerable to lag. I had some 200+ ping and couldn't fly anywhere sometimes.

Thanks to everyone who's complimented the mod here. I'm glad you're enjoying it!

There was a bit of a problem this morning, as my server was mistakenly opened to the public without the gamedirectory being updated to Promod3.0 rather than promodbeta3. This could cause problems for people later. If you're one of the admins running out of the promodbeta3 directory, then download the jediknightii.net file and use it instead, and update your gamedirectory to be Promod3.0! I don't think there's any difference in versions, but the in-game browser is only designed to find Promod3.0 directories.

I can see what you've tried to achieve, but from a gunners perspective you haven't pulled it off to my liking.

This isn't really a class-based mod, since all it does is expand the skill usage to incorporate guns and gadgets as well. A class-base mod is generaly interpreted to have pre-defined classes, if you'd gone that way i've a feeling that this may have actually been well balanced, as it stands, its not.

well lets see, there's no point being a hybrid because if you choose a force power you need as high a level as possible in it, this stops you using higher than level 1 guns + gadgets.

If you're a gunner and you have the jetpack, then you can't have maxed out force absorb, so in other words you are completely defenseless if you actually decide to use the jetpack. If you want any weaponry of any use you automatically forfeit any useful force powers. The only way for a gunner to be safe is to have an Ysalimari, which as I recall, not many CTF maps actually feature.

If you're a saberist then you can max out your chosen force powers the same as before, the only difference is you can't use weapons, so in other words there are no changes for the saberists amongst you. Sabers + Force easily beats Guns + No-Force, there's no contest.

As for the 10-second timer on /kill that's bloody rediculous. What's the damn point? I may as well just shoot myself in the feet or throw myself off a ledge and be done with it. What's worse is that it doesn't keep you up to date with how long until the suicide actually happens.

This mod feels like it caters yet again to the whiners that made 1.03 and 1.04 happen. I'm a Gunner but I use the Saber A LOT for the agility moves, now its impossible for a Gunner to use the evasive capabilities of a saberist, making flag-carriers sitting ducks effectively. The Jet-Pack speed is so slow that any half-decent gunner can shoot you out of the air.

Archived