Home

Tutorial Demand?

sithlord-II

hi guys... i haven't been around in a while, busy with other things... i have recently been asked about progress on something i was workign on... I was curious about what the demand is for a tutorial on Jedi Knight 2 character modeling? of course those who can already import know their stuff... i had compiled abotu a half-complete tutorial thus far, detailing a little bit of everything on model creation, as i was makign a model along with the tutorial, and took alot of screenshots along the way. It was up to about 30 pages....

My main question is, woudl you guys like to see this thing followed through to completion? i would be willing to sit down and finish it off ASAP if i felt people really needed this...

well gotta run, take care guys

michael frost

"sithlord-ii"

Definitely add me to the list of people that would like to see this completed.

Since you're asking, that probably means that you feel like working on the tutorial :D

I hope so, anyway, because from what you said originally, you were going to try and explain all the steps ,simple and otherwise, for creating and rigging a model with the sole intentions of getting it into JK2.

Of course I don't have much time to take advantage of such knowledge these days, so don't base your decision on my desires ;)

Although I'll certainly follow the Tut at my own pace... if it's made that is.

Nice seeing you around, best of luck!

-nomad

MTFBWY

I think a new tutorial would be very helpful. Spacemonkey does a very good job wit his tutorial but there are a few aspects that are left out, which are quite frustrating to get by. The "addendum" by macD does help further, on some very important points, but there are still some things that are left out.

What I thought was left out of the current tutorials was a few very simple and basic things which make exporting a frustration.

here's an example list:

1-Tags... I understand where they need to be but am not quite sure which side of the triangle needs to touch what in order to determine the "knee" or "hip". Does the tag need to be completely invisible from the outside when looking at a smoothed view? or does it need to stick out halfway out of the mesh.

2-Tags part b and bones. While weighing the skin is covered quite well, weighing the tags seems to be left out. Thank god I ran into that obscure thread that told me which one of the many many many hand bones I needed to weigh the hand tag to, otherwise my model would be swinging the saber like the mandalores. It would be nice to know which bones certain tags need to be weighed to.

3-face and hand bones: there are many, and none are mentioned in any of the current tutorials. weighing each and every finger digit bone to the mesh is quite tough when only four weights can be assigned to a single vert. Same goes for the face. Are ALL the bones essential or can one get by with a few major ones. (for MP playing and not necessarily all the animations in SP, such as talking, pointing etc)

4-XSI exporting... now why didn't anyone tell me how frustrating this could be with parts moved all over the place and invisible polygons. Reset XForm? the stuff just goes back to where it was in the first place... will moving it/rotating it once again back into place (and correcting the deformations caused by the gizmo) after reseting the xform fix the export problems?

:D

And I'm sure there are similar problems out there that other new modelers are running into, so I'd very much like to see a tutorial by people that have created great models allready, which can help us newcomers and make the process less of a hair-pulling experience :)

best of luck and looking forward to this.

I'd like to see the tutorial completed as well... all the modeling tut's (including spacemonkey's) just lost me, as I had no experience with Max whatsoever... had no idea where things were in the program, what things did, etc.

A layman's terms tutorial with lots of pictures would be great!

Yes, I'd like to see a new tutorial. I think that it's very likely that a sequel to this game will be released someday in the future. A lot of the same knowledge could be applied to it.

I had told you that I'm working on some bits for a tutorial. As soon as I can, I want to polish up the text and send it to you.

Count me in too!

I'm going ot write a new saber hilt making tutorial to make up for the obvious faults in the current ones and epend on the modeling process itself (conventions, good practices, JK2 averages). I might even write up a tutorial about static model making and weapon making if I can figure them out and reproduce tghe results a few times.

Put me in the list!

Great idea, and Scotchy, wow, man, that's really nice. One suggestion will be, why don't you two, Scotchy and sithlord-II, work together and release the ultimate jk2 tutorial? A tutorial that address all the issue, what do you think? You guys, are going to make history, and the community will respect both of you always.

i would definitely like to see more modelling tutorials. i'm almost finished with 2 player models, but after reading spacemonkey's tutorial i'm still lost. if anybody can post links to other modelling/capping/etc tutorials here that would be nice too!

-drd1138

• 2 weeks later...

Please o please could you make a tutorial on modeling, i would love to see one available, i've been searching the web for months searching for a good, complete tutorial on how to model specifically for jedi outcast,as im sure many others searching through these forums have as well.

Thank you

Archived