Home

Official SWGB 2 GB.com Thread

Guest DarthMaulUK

I want a TRUE Star Wars RTS game. I have always wanted that. I think it is possible to have balanced civilizations and still have certain civilizations without mechs such as rebels. This is a Star Wars game not a Sci-Fiction RTS Game. That is why it is says Star Wars at the top of the game. Too many people think it has to have non-star wars units added to balance it. Units like air cruisers, undeloyed cannons, etc. I want a Unique Star Wars RTS Game.

• Replies 720
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I was just thinking about this! In Star Wars Galactic Battlegrounds 2 if they release one, they should add tons of audio taunts to use in the single player modes, scenarios, and campaigns. I think there is 50-100 taunts in Galactic Battlegrounds 1 and Clone Campaigns.

Corran is right, you will not find more of a Star Wars Purist than me (if you do, please introduce us).

However, having small, speedy mechs doesn't go against the movies. I always think about when the Rebel heroes arrive at Yavin 4 and they get transported around by that dude on the carge sled. If the Rebels have stuff like that to move stuff around in their bases, it makes sense that they might have a similar thing for a battle.

MM-86, please note we are not disagreeing that the Rebels can be done without Mechs. But having thought about it, it would make the Rebels fighting style more like in the movies with the two mechs i suggested. Think of Hoth, and the turrets the Rebels had. To capture that sort of feel when the Rebels are on the attack rather than defense, a mech is needed. It would be a mech that is only good at supporting troopers. If you send out these mechs without trooper support, they will get slaughtered. They would possibly be the weakest mechs in the game.

The transport is something I think is essential for the Rebels. It would have no attack, but be very fast over land.

How do you make a TRUE Star Wars RTS? Well sticking to the movie units is one way, but I think if you want an accurate depiction of how a civ fights and not just what their units look like, you need to add (as little as possible) units that emphasise their fighting style. The mechs suggested do so.

Gameplay is more important than realism, but you will be able to have a movie battle. I'm sure there will be a Battle of Hoth or Endor scenario either included with the game or on the internet within weeks. You will see movie units, you will use movie units, and most importantly, as Vostok said, you will have the spirit, feel and tactics of the civs.

Eh.. I still don't like the hijackers. With stealth, they would end up being used as scouts... but without, they wouldn't be good at hijacking... but the whole concept of hijacking is overpowered. That's why we gave it to the Ewoks. Remember? :):ewok:

I agree with Corran about the hijackers. So Chewie did it. So what? It is not a major component of the Rebellion's fighting style, but if it is included, it will become so. I didn't see heaps of guys hijacking the AT-ATs on Hoth, did you?

That is why, although mechs should be included, they should not be very powerful, in fact they should probably be the worst in the game. This way, Mechs won't become an important part of Rebel warfare, although they are there for a supporting role.

It is more important to capture the feel of the civ's warfare than just to stick to things we see in the movies. The Trade Federation obviously has an important sea-faring component, which is how they invaded Otoh Gunga. To not include this will go against their style, but to include it will need made-up units. Which would you prefer?

Note that what I'm saying does not have much to do with Gameplay>Realism. My argument is that in order to realistically capture the far more important aspect of fighting style, we need to extrapolate the realism we see in the movies. In order to do this, we need units that don't contradict the movies obviously, because to include them will go against the fighting style.

If you have Prefab Shelters in GB2, then they should have a real purpose in the game. They are suppose to add population to the civilization and house units. Why can't they actually house or garrison units in prefab shelters just like laser turrents, fortresses, and command centers? Why can't anti-air turrents garrison units as well? Wouldn't you think Anti-air turrents be manned by a biological unit or at least a droid?

I was also thinking about maybe the possiblity of garrison or storing your units in their perspective building when not in use. (e.g. Troopers in troop center, mechs in mech factory, heavy weapons in heavy weapon factory, ships in shipyard, aircraft in a hanger, etc.)

Vostok: Hooray, we agree. The bad thing is that now we have nothing to discuss. Um... let me think...... okay, I'll put up some new ideas soon.

Joe: Actually, the prefab garrisoning thing was suggested as a unique thing for the Royal Naboo. I rather like that. But you're right about the AA turrets.

However, I don't know what the point of storing people in their relevant buildings is. It seems pretty pointless to me. Why would you want to do it? And if there was a purpose (eg they can fire out, for more defensive power) wouldn't there be a better building to use for the same thing (eg garrisoning them in an actual turret or fortress)?

You can already garrisson your units in their respective building(click the building then right click on it to set the gather point inside the building). It does nothing actually. Unless you want to set a nice trap on unsuspecting enemy forces(which is really fun by the way) it has actually no use.

And you guys are right hijackers should stay with the Ewok secret civ.

While we sort of in the subject of excluding civs from having access to entire classes of units, I would like to say I disagree with not allowing Gungans any air.

Yes, the Gungans air is crap. It should be kept that way, far less effective than other civs. Much like the quality of the Rebels few mechs. However, I don't believe including a flying creature is against the character of the civ. The Aiwha we see on Kamino in Episode II was originally designed for the Gungans, but cut out of Episode I. This means there were intentions to give the Gungans air, so it isn't completely absurd for them.

Their air should be slow and weak, not all that great but is good for scouting and base defense. That doesn't go against the civ at all.

Joe, if you're going to post twice it is better to edit your previous post so it doesn't look like you're spamming. I think the garrissoning in prefabs should just be unique for Naboo.

Um ideas...:rolleyes:

out of those.. :(

wait a second! :eek: How bout troops can fire out the buildings thier in? Like you put the trooper in a prefab and they fire at passing troops. (like CC generals I belive, I hope y'all haven't said that yet.) And also the rebels should be able to pack up their bases. The republic shouldn't have that many building options, in Ep. 2 they didn't build a base they just use the SD type things.

hey Wassup guys?

hope you guys still remember me...

haven't logged on to this forum for a long long time...

I got sort of frustrated because I know SWGB 2 is really impossible, due to the poor sales of SWGB...I even quit playing SWGB cause no matter how good your computer is, SWGB system lags when you got lots of units, there are some problems with the way that this game is written...

Anywayz...

We have to think of a way to encourage the Lucas crews to make SWGB 2...hah there can be miracles

P.S I am playing C&C Generals, it's changed a lot...worth playing :D...Yeah exactly! if there is a SWGB, use C&C General's engine...(Blizzard engines suck, Microsoft Engines look weird when you put all these high tech units into the game) ...I think C&C generals' engine is probably the best for the game...

Guest DarthMaulUK
Originally posted by Arthur2

I got sort of frustrated because I know SWGB 2 is really impossible, due to the poor sales of SWGB...I even quit playing SWGB cause no matter how good your computer is, SWGB system lags when you got lots of units, there are some problems with the way that this game is written...

Erm.. actually SWGB sold very well indeed. One of reasons why the Age of Empire series was so popular was due to the system spec not being so demanding. Unless you only have a 32meg ram computer, it shouldn't really chug. Online it probably will if you have a 56k modem, but thats life.

As for SWGB2, it is in the works or something very close to it.

DMUK

1. I got DSL

2. my computer is fast enuff and more than enuff to run C&C generals, what do you think?

SWGB sold well? well depends on your scale. Comparing to popular rts? no, but comparing to other Starwars RTS, heck yeah.

I am not talking about net lag

I said "system lag"

not lagging like hell but I would call it fluent.

play AoM or C&C Generals, or Maybe War3

and you'll understand what I'm talking about

SWGB is not a very successful game, (technically speaking).

** edited by DarthMaulUK .... user given 7 day chill out ban **

owie... I hope I don't get banned.....

I have another idea for a campaign.

Maybe for the Empire, they could go a lil EU and have it during Grand Admiral Thrawn's Campaign. But seeing as how most of his battles were in space, that might not work but it would be awesome.

Hmm... I think it's gonna be hard for campaigns because I don't see what else they could do without totally making up a whole new campaign from scratch. I think SWGB2 needs to be Space and Ground or just Space combat. We have a game for the ground, we need one for the sky. Imagine. Battling with Star Destroyers and Moncals. they could even have a Death Star 2 Battle where you have to last long enough for the ground strike to disable the shield gen and lando/wedge fly in the core.

Guest DarthMaulUK

wont ban u yet phreak! hehe ;-)

What he said was bang out of order and as mentioned b4 I wont have insults like that on the boards.

I Let my lightsabre loose!!!

DMUK

Originally posted by DarthMaulUK

wont ban u yet phreak! hehe ;-)

oh that's sooo comforting :p

Besides, I never get any lag. I only lag when there's 8 people in a game and 1 or 2 of them have 56k and I doubt 56k can handle 8 players plus all the units.

Archived