Home

Official SWGB 2 GB.com Thread

Guest DarthMaulUK

Guest DarthMaulUK

Garry mentioned that he is currently working on a related SWGB project. What's your views and thoughts on this? Put them all here.

LA told me that any project Garry is working on is way,way off currently, so don't expect anything too soon.

DMUK

• Replies 720
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hopefully it is the sequel to the original with new features, buildings, strutures, additional units like Imperial Officers, Rebel Snowtroopers, etc. Hopefully they will add V-wings, E-wings, and buildable B-wings and Tie Advanced Fighters. Hopefully they will add a new space combat mode with better better graphics. As long as it comes out before Episode III. I will be satisfied. Maybe they could add more Star Wars Locales to the single player mode like Corusacant, Kamino, Bespin, Tipoca City, CLoud City, and Mos Eisley. I still prefer 2-d RTS over 3-D because I don't want to have to buy a new computer just to be able to play it.

Originally posted by lukeiamyourdad

My guess is an update maybe not SWGB 2.

I don't think it's gonna be a second x-pac because as all of us know, in terms of marketing ony us will buy it.

How would you differentiate an update from an expansion?

I forgot to mention! Garry has a new baby soooooooo don't expect of him to work a lot on this ''project''

Not neccessarily. A lot of jobs require you work ridiculous amounts of hours. I'd think working for George Lucas would fall into that category.

Garry doesn't work on the patches. If there wasd a patch they would need to change maybe three things at most. That's like a weeks work lol.

Definatly wont be a new Expac.

SWGB 2 me thinks. Definatly a new SW RTS game anyway.

ES started work on the AOM engine the week AOK was realeased that's like 6 years. The new movie is in 3 years. Unless they have been making there own engine over last few years. They will definatly want to release it in or around time for ep3.

I can't wait now hehe :D

If it does come out I would say use the RoN engine. Here's why:

- Zooming in on the battle like EE and AoM

- More than 50 techs

- More potential for more civs

- The Conquer the World feature can be easily converted to Conquer the Galaxy, maybe including different scenarios like Rebels vs. Empire or the Clone Wars

- 32 rare resources, only found in one place on each map. Can be converted to specific SW resources like Naboo Plasma and Spice

- Never depleting resources

- "Smart" villagers

- Borders

- "Special" units with different abilities like Generals, Spies and Scouts

- Flanking

- Terrain effects

Guest DarthMaulUK

Thanks for the url.

If SWGB 2 was based on this, it would be taking a step back. Looks to me like a cross between AOE & Civilisations.

If LA could create their own game engine, the scope for what they could do would certainly make SWGB 2 a much better SW RTS. Remember, its a Star Wars RTS. Its time to move on and create something that can handle proper space battles like in Rebellion/Supremacy and decent ground battles like Episode V and II

DMUK

Agreed DMUK.

But remember, LucasArts doesn't have to start a new Engine from scratch. Jedi Outcast was based on some other FPS engine but they at least modified it enough so it was Star Warsy. With SWGB they mostly just put replacement art in. They could have done a lot more to alter the engine.

If SWGB2 uses the RON engine, they had better change it drastically. At the moment doesn't RON have a lot of ages to progress through? SWGB would need to cut down on basically all the pre-WWII ages, and if the rest of the game wasn't changed tremendously SWGB2 would be like a scaled-down, inferior version of RON. Definitely not what I want.

And I agree with Sithmasters comment about how good RON will be.

Originally posted by Admiral Vostok

Agreed DMUK.

But remember, LucasArts doesn't have to start a new Engine from scratch. Jedi Outcast was based on some other FPS engine but they at least modified it enough so it was Star Warsy. With SWGB they mostly just put replacement art in. They could have done a lot more to alter the engine.

Did you ever play AoK, SWGB was modded so much, saying just art is silly.

How would RoN be bad for SWGB2?

Although it would have to be modified, it already has many new innovations for an RTS game, and also adds the epic scope needed in a star wars game.

In almost every respect, RoN is superior to ANY RTS, and as such, along with its innovations, epic scope, inbuilt armour and aircraft, would make it the perfect base for SWGB2.

Originally posted by lukeiamyourdad

SWGB was mainly AoK with SW units. Except for mechs and air.

If someone who worked on SWGB read that they would be insulted. It's completly false. LA changed the engine and game so much. Go and play Age of Kings for a few weeks and you will find it so hard compared to playings SWGB.

In AoK the food is the same every game, 6 sheep, 6 deer and two boars. Every AoK start is the same preety much. SWGB has random food, different every map. In AoK you build a carbon centre and the workers stand there doing nothing. In SWGB workers are clever and mine resources etc. AoK = unbalanced to the extreme every patch made it more unbalanced. SWGB = very well balanced. SWGB counter units work. New things such as queing farms helps alot, idle ville button and ildle military button. In AoK at a decent level people only ever fighted in Fuedal (T2) in SWGB you can win the game in any TL. There are just so many differences, i personally found AOK un playable after 2 1/2 years of it once i started playing SWGB.

Archived