Home

New Computer!!!

Acrylic

I was gonna buy a new beasty, but have decided to just try and upgrade my current one.

Over here in Britain, they pull the same stunt with over pricing. I figure, I will do a little now (Beef the RAM up and a new 4x the space Hard Disk), then wait to but something awesome when I ACTUALLY have money. And I will build it (I have NO idea, ut my mates from Uni said they'd help me out.)

Always said I would build my second computer - its good to do. And as you then know your own computerinside out, you ALSO save money because you don't have to ring Tiny technical support because they've used some unknown muthafukin make from Siberia! (TWO YEARS it tok to get my computer how i want it - WORKING! Bloody Tiny sale...)

Originally posted by Tyrion

Geeze,what did you not get??? That's overkill..:p

Also,you could've made the same computer customly.(abliet,you'd have to look at internet instructions while your doing it..),but it's actually fairly easy(Help my dad when he upgrades mine or his(another good part with a custom one is that you can upgrade it usually without fear)),the wires seem alot more work than it really is,and installing the sound and video card's a sinch,once you know where to install and if it's compatible with your motherboard).

And your dad can fund you,which is the greatest part.:p

Yea. Well, I'll study building computers and stuff, So, then I'll be able to brag to ya'll that I can build a computer! :p

I'd say cut out the DVD burner unless you're into piracy.

I kinda am in a way...I dunno. I'm gonna hook up our digital camcorder and put all the movies from the little tapes on to a DVD disk so I can play it like that instead of from the cam.

I kinda am in a way...I dunno. I'm gonna hook up our digital camcorder and put all the movies from the little tapes on to a DVD disk so I can play it like that instead of from the cam. [/b]

Just burn them as a VCD with a normal CD Burner. Chances are if you have a decently new DVD player, that'll suit your needs fine.

Originally posted by AcrylicGuitar

Yea. Well, I'll study building computers and stuff, So, then I'll be able to brag to ya'll that I can build a computer! :p

I kinda am in a way...I dunno. I'm gonna hook up our digital camcorder and put all the movies from the little tapes on to a DVD disk so I can play it like that instead of from the cam.

You should have opted for one of these then:

http://mirror.ati.com/products/pc/aiw9700pro/index.html

It has all the power of the 9700, plus a TV tuner and DV editing.

Originally posted by AcrylicGuitar

Well, I guess it turns out that the comp will either come on Tuesday or Wednesday. So, thats good, I thought it was gonna come on Thursday. So, I'm cheered up now!!!! YEA!

Are you setting it up yourself? I have no clue what to do when installing hardware. I'm going to get a friend to install my video card when I order it, free of charge too :D.

I'm talking about monitors and crud like that. It is so basic, it baffles me. :confused: I have no clue where to plug in joysticks, cameras, etc.

It took me a good 2 hours to set up my old PC 5 yrs ago. About an hour last year with my new one. Hopefully, when I get my new one, I can do it in 15 minutes! :D

Originally posted by Katarn07

I'm talking about monitors and crud like that. It is so basic, it baffles me. :confused: I have no clue where to plug in joysticks, cameras, etc.

It took me a good 2 hours to set up my old PC 5 yrs ago. About an hour last year with my new one. Hopefully, when I get my new one, I can do it in 15 minutes! :D

You could...we spent so much money on add-ons and stuff like that, like Firewires, it wasnt worth it.

At first, 5 years ago, it took us to set up this computer, about a few hours. We had a Windows 3.1 before that. That was pretty simple, but I was just 3 then. So, lol. this new comp prolly wont take too long to set up. I hope......

Originally posted by Katarn07

Are you setting it up yourself? I have no clue what to do when installing hardware. I'm going to get a friend to install my video card when I order it, free of charge too :D.

What's there to know? Just plug them in to something that fits! (Seriously, I first set up my computer 4 years ago (I was 10) and just started pluging cords into sockets that fit. Not that hard...)

Originally posted by Mic_1012

Yeah, I know how it feels to get a new computer. Well, I hope you have fun with it when it comes!

I will :)

But, bad news (God, you can never trust the guys at Gateway)

The TOWER (With all the stuff inside, duh) Will be coming on Wednesday and the moniter and printer will be coming on Friday or Monday! AGH! I'm so arfing pissed!

So just hook it up to the monitor that you already have until the other one comes in.

Also, let me just reiterate to anyone reading, that's an outrageous price for a high end pc. I can build two beasts for that price (minus the dvd-ram, I don't see any use for those besides piracy right now). And last, if you were gonna spend that much, why didn't you wait a little longer for a GeForce FX card?

Anyhoo, that is an awesome box. And it'll run high end games for a while if you keep it up to date and tweaked (always get newest drivers and visit a quality tech site for some good tweaks).

Nice rig, you will enjoy it. Like everyone says, its really pricey. Look into building PCs. It will save you a ton in the long run, its fun, easy, and you will have a better knowledge of your system (which will really help with trouble shooting, upgrading, etc)

I have been looking at getting a DVD rw+ but I am waiting for both the price to come down and the technology to improve.

Archived