Home

How In The World Do You.......

skiner

i maid a hall for my map (i am a first time mapper)i maid a room that works with light and the whole bit and i wanted to add a hall so i can conect rooms so i did but....... HOW DO YOU CLIP WALLS i tryed and tryed over and over agian (when i say clip walls i mean remove part of a wall so i can get to the other room/hall) can any 1 help oh i have gtk-radient as a editing program

Clipping is very simple.

1)First make your brush

2)Click on the thing that looks like 3 points with lines connecting them at the top of radiant. (your brush has to be selected)

3)All you need to do is lay down 2 points inside your brush and you make a straight line.

4)To confirm it hold shift and hit enter. This will now cut your brush into two pieces.

5)Thats It!

CSG Subtract isn't necessarily bad. In that case, since everything is at right angles and you're only subtracting one brush from one brush, there's nothing wrong with that approach. Essentially, it just automatically clips the walls. HOWEVER, if you do a CSG Subtract where funky angles and/or lots of brushes intersecting lots of other brushes are involved, then yes, it can be bad. I've actually come to use CSG Subtract quite a bit, for "clips" that are in irregular shapes. You just have to be careful to clean up your fragments afterwards. CSG Subtract won't harm frame rates by itself, but if you create TONS of little brushes, then that will lower FPS.

Originally posted by dvader28

bbbbbbbbbbbbbbaaaadddd CSG. BBBBAAAAAADDDDD.

Originally posted by 000nate

dvader is right. Csg Subtract causes z-fighting problems to occur. Read rich diesals tutorials for once! And trust me he's almost definetly a lot better jk2 mapper than any one here!

Look, each mapper has his or her own preferences and mapping style. No one style is "BETTER" than another because of the tools used. My style is not RichDiesal's style, though I did go through his entire tutorial system. I use CSG Subtract, in certain, limited, circumstances, to achieve certain specific effects. It is okay to use, as long as you are careful not to create too many fragments (you can always merge fragments together again using CSG Merge). It isn't CSG Subtract in and of itself that makes FPS fall, it's having too many small brushes with textures displaying in unneeded places. It's not CSG Subtract that's bad, it's poor use of it that causes problems. There won't be any Z-fighting if it's used properly. I'm not saying that you should use it for EVERYTHING when a simple clip or two would work, but sometimes subtracting can be good.

Originally posted by 000nate

lol- I'm going to say that your WRONG just so I can make you mad!-Dvader I'm glad I got this chance and stop putting down my posts and replys!

000nate, dvader28, will you two just knock it off? We don't need any reply-wars going on, if you two would just stop trying to out-newbie each other and cut the flames and be helpful, I think the atmosphere around here would be much improved.

With the console command screenshot. :D

OK, it's not that easy. I'm not sure it is needed with the below commands but you might have to be in cheats enabled mode, so start your map with the devmap <mapname> console command.

You should bind the command to a key with "bind F12 screenshot". F12 is good enough but you can use what you want of course. It is enought to make this only once, the setting will remain in the future.

Now enter "cg_draw2d 0" into the console then close it. As you can see all the hud and crosshair disappeared.

Change your weapon to the lightsabre, turn it off, and press P or whatever you configured to switching between 1st person and 3rd person. As you can see nothing is in the way to take a screenshot.

If you want you can enter "noclip" into the console (this time I am sure you have to be in cheats enabled mode) to let yourself fly in the map wherever you want.

Use F12 (or your earlier choice) to take screenshots.

After finishing, you can enable the drawing of hud and others with the "cg_draw2d 1" command.

This is for normal screenshots. If you want to make one of them into levelshot to make it show up on the map selection page and during the loading sequence, then you have to resize one of them as you would do with textures. You'll get better results if your levelshot is 1024x1024 or 2048x2048. When resizing, let the picture to look distorted. It will look good ingame.

Finally this picture has to have the same name as your bsp file's like: mapname.jpg or mapname.tga, and has to be in the "levelshots" directory in your pk3.

Archived