Home

Kengo

Originally posted by Kengo

Err...yeh. Many of them hold degrees in being bad guys, and one or two have post-grads in things like 'evil laughter' and 'giving away their secret plans'. A few even have suspicious moustaches and metal claws for hands and stuff. One of the bad guys actually lectures at Bad Guy Tech, PA.

Isn't Bad Guy Tech associated with CGNU (Crazy Go-Nuts University)? ;)

Actually, the main guy is behind a desk and not seen, and the Imperial subcommander makes a few brief appearances. The real confrontations are going to be left till part 3, which is unfortunate as it may never get completed!

Reminds me of the villain in Inspector Gadget that you never see... you just see his hand (err, claw... whatever) petting his cat.

• Replies 197
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Originally posted by Eldritch

Isn't Bad Guy Tech associated with CGNU (Crazy Go-Nuts University)? ;)

Damn straight man! :D

Originally posted by Eldritch

Reminds me of the villain in Inspector Gadget that you never see... you just see his hand (err, claw... whatever) petting his cat.

Hey man, I said not to reveal plot elements! Great, now it will be no surprise when you find out the badguy is The Claw. And the bit at the end where he goes...

"I'll get you yet Katarn!"

Won't even be a surprise.

A lot more scripting has been done, almost all the cutscenes are done to a first build, improvements will be needed for some later I'm sure. Next on the to do list are editing the voice files I do have, getting the custom objectives done, getting the subtitles for the cutscenes done, then a lot of NPC placement (most of the levels have only very basic placement). This will be followed by looking at adding in a few new NPCs (Imperial Commando anyone? :)), altering the weapons some (DL-44 Heavy Blaster Pistol anyone? :D). Then I should be ready to begin some early stages of testing for this baby, I know a lot of optomisation is going to be required. So all in all, beta testing within 2 weeks perhaps.

Carlist Drynalt

Republic Assault Commando, First Landing Team 7

Race: Human

Home Planet: Alderaan

Carlist was a young child when Alderaan was destroyed; his grandparents had taken him on a trip off-World when the planet was fatefully obliterated by the Death Star. He was raised in hiding by his Grandparents on Ord Mantell. As soon as he was old enough he joined the Republic Army. There he showed extreme bravery and determination, but doubts were always present about his self control, his nickname as a Cadet was ‘Angry’. He joined the Assault Corps, wanting to be on the front line of the war against the Remnant. He has already won several medals for bravery and quickly became eligible for service in one of the elite First Landing teams. Doubts about his ability to control his hate for the Remnant are still present, the line between heroism and revenge on his part isn’t clear.

Yes, I almost agree with Thomas. Angry is not nearly as nice a name as Wrath would be.

"Hey, Wrath, it's really disgusting how your mouth starts foaming every time you see Imperials!"

"Aye, and his eyes turn all red!"

"A wookie would run away from him, afraid of getting rabies."

Originally posted by lassev

Yes, I almost agree with Thomas. Angry is not nearly as nice a name as Wrath would be.

I appreciate the input guys, Wrath does sound good, but its a nickname designed to make fun out of how angry he always is, not to sound cool! If you have never had an unfortunate nickname, then you wouldn't understand as well :)

The custom objectives are now done. Does anyone know of a really good translator program so I can get the objectives and subtitles into French and German? I've used some where it comes out very strange through the translator, does anyone know of one where it comes out at least accurate enough that it isn't complete gibberish? :)

To continue the background info, here is some on the RN-115, the new weapon the Republic troops will be using in this mission.

RN-115 Assault Blaster Rifle

The result of a New Republic funded joint project between New Republic military officials and an unknown Armament Corporation. The project was intended to create a powerful assault weapon for elite New Republic units. Based upon similar lines to the destructive DC-15 Blaster Rifle used by Clonetroopers during the clone war, using a similar plasma technology, the RN-115 has recently left the prototype stages and a few have been produced and distributed to select Republic troops. The weapon is lighter than the DC-15, and has an increased clip size. Although the standard fire doesn’t pack the same punch as the DC-15, a secondary fire concussion explosion round much like those fired by an Imperial Heavy Repeater is very effective at close range.

More info on this to come. Just working on modding the SP content some more, the guns, sounds etc.

Hmm... Are you serious, Wedge? :D

But yes, maybe I can provide some help if Kengo send me the texts. The problem is that I had to review this map and if I help too much I will be no able to do it. :D

Oh, Kengo, if you decide to send me the texts I can maybe get some extra help to make the french translation too.

Wow Leslie, I didn't know you spoke German, your talents appear near limitless :D That would be a massive help man, and I don't think helping with the subtitles would be contravening reviewing rules. Maybe the easiest thing to do would be I finish the subtitles (I'm about 2/3 of the way through today), then send them to you and you translate whatever parts you were able in the same files, save me some time putting them in later :)

You know, if you put weapons briefings in the final release somehow, don't include the part about the repeater. The RN is great, but you wouldn't want to tell the players with no knowledge of editing that you really just modified the shots a bit. If they think you created it from scratch, (modify it enough and give it no relation to the repeater) they'll enjoy the experience more.

Originally posted by Kengo

Wow Leslie, I didn't know you spoke German, your talents appear near limitless :D That would be a massive help man, and I don't think helping with the subtitles would be contravening reviewing rules. Maybe the easiest thing to do would be I finish the subtitles (I'm about 2/3 of the way through today), then send them to you and you translate whatever parts you were able in the same files, save me some time putting them in later :)

Evader thinks I'm an A.I. so don't be surprised I'm a big talent. If he is right I have all the knowledge of the Internet. :)

Anyways, yes, it's OK.

I dont know if this is already a plan of yours (since i ran out of reading-power [yes, that's a word... from now on] when i got halfway through page 3...

But for a more team-immersed fealing of the level, maybe you should make some scripted sequences (not cutscenes, as they give a fealing of being taken away from the action), for instance one where there's like a hallway, or something like that (maybe an open area with some cannons) and you cant get past that due to a cannon or such, and then two or three members of the team (assumming they're still alive, else there would have to be an alternative) volunteer to go out and give you cover fire (like on Omaha Beach in MOH when you reach the sniper house)

It's just an idea (a general concept, for you to build more onto), but i think such stuff would add to a teamplay feeling!

Good ideas there Tito. I've tried to include some scipted bits (particulary at that start) which give you a feeling of squad combat. Later on I've tried to split the squad up into smaller parts because fighting with like 6 NPCs is a bit of a pain to design for. I'd have liked to have done more character traits, like making certain caracters excel in certain areas - I can do this a little but not much as they all need to be good in the squad to be much use.

So, update: The work on this project certainly hasn't slowed down, I've spent hours and hours of late working on getting the scripting good enough for a closed Beta Test, which I hope can start tommorow, but we'll have to see...

So, another character Bio. I hear Wedge has been having withdrawal symptons since I stoped posting these.

Harido Yulnari

Republic Assault Commando, First Landing Team 7

Race: Rodian

Home Planet: Rodia

Although a skilled hunter, his main interest lay in exploration. His travels led him to despise the Empire, and eventually he carried out a series of attacks against them. After the fall of the Empire he planned to go back to his exploration, but much to his surprise he was offered a military role as an Assault Commando by the Republic. He was more surprised to find himself accepting. A crack shot, swift and agile, he is at home in most environments and is a vital, if quiet part of the team. Despite his lonesome nature, has become a friend with Aldranicus, who also belongs to a largely mistrusted race and faces a great deal of prejudice.

The map is now in beta testing, I have enough testers already. There are definately a lot of things to be sorted out, it is likely to be a fairly long beta phase, although I don't expect I'll need a second beta phase I may just change my mind on that later on. I should have a few action shots from various parts of the map tommorow. I have the DL-44 Blaster Pistol into the game now, and kind permission from the author to use it. :)

One of my favourite characters for the squad...

Cp. Tal Reton

Republic Assault Commando Corporal, First Landing Team 7

Race: Human

Home Planet: Corellia

Tal originally planed on being an architect, but the Galactic Civil War led him to join the Rebellion. After the war, he was encouraged to join the Republic Commando Corps, being given the rank of Corporal. His relaxed attitude and fondness of speaking his mind wouldn’t go down well with higher ranking officers in some other units, but Reton and Deltak share in a conspiratorial Corellians are always right pact.

Thanks very much man :) I must commend the top class beta testing of Clu, Lassev and Lord Glorfindel so far, their highly detailed reports have picked out a lot of things to improve already, I began work on the beta yesterday. The final release date is hard to guage, will probabaly vary between 1 and 4 weeks depending on outside resources and how much I find to improve. I'll try to get some screenshots of ingame play on tonight.

Archived