Home

Woooweee snowboarding rules.

Reborn Outcast

Snowboarding is so fun. I went today to a huge mountain. Hit some monster jumps. :D

Anyone else here snowboard or ski? Lemme tell ya, if you havn't GO TRY IT. It's so much fun.

And for those ski experts, there are 2 types of downhill skiing right? Parallel and Talimark(sp?) skiing right cause my friend says that the Talimark(sp?) kind is only for cross-country.

Tried snowboarding once. End result: Upside down in a tree

Skiing. I'm an amatuer but all I ever hit is pro and extreme runs and I haven't ever been injured or even wiped out on one. :D

P.S. Skiing tales, one of my friends is insane. He went to a black diamond run, sat down on his skis, and went down. He sat down, meanwhile I was coming down, catching air and just about killing myself.

I'm a pretty proficient skiier so I can say that skiing owns. I usually hit black diamond runs, but a lot of blues are double blacks are good too. I stay away from jumps, though. I usually get bad results. I once went into a tree well (I was rather young), hoping to get air from the edge. My skiis stuck in the side and I was thrown from the bindings to land head-first a few feet away.

Thank God for helmets :D

I snowboard whenever I get the chance. I love it. I'm getting pretty good at it, starting to hit the jumps. Fun fun.

I hate skiing. Tried it a few times, kept tangling myself up in stuff. I stuck with snowboarding, it's a lot simpler. No tangling skis or poles.

To each their own, I guess.

Originally posted by Reborn Outcast

You live in Hawaii? Sweet!!! I've always wanted to go there lol.

And everyone else who hasn't snowboarded, DO IT!!! (Even you Obi. :D ) It's really fun.

Yes i live in Hawaii.....gotta love them hula dancers ;)

been qualified for nearly 7 years now. It's really cool although it gets a bit cold of the coast of Wales, try going somewhere hot in winter you have fun and get to be warm for a week or two.:)

snowboarding looks and sound fun, but I cold and hot easily (don't ask) so it would probably not suit my homeostasis.:(

Originally posted by Reborn Outcast

And for those ski experts, there are 2 types of downhill skiing right? Parallel and Talimark(sp?) skiing right cause my friend says that the Talimark(sp?) kind is only for cross-country.

Alpine not parallel. Anyways Talimarks arent true cross country skiis. Theyre meant for downhill but their bindings are like cross country skiis; detaching at the heal. Talimarking is kind of a dying art. Few people ever do it. Those who are really good at it are incredible to watch cause its so hard to do. A newer kind of ski that does both is the mountaineering ski. Its back bindings can attach and detach so you can either alpine or talimark and they can have special skins attached to the bottoms for cross country. Although the back bindings arent as sturdy as real alpine skiis. My dad started using mountaineering skiis recently and he loves em. But for me I prefer the alpines. Next time I go to the slopes I will try snowboarding.

It's spelled Telemark. I should know, since Telemark is a "fylke" here (the country's split up in 19 "fylker", kind of provinces, just so you know) and it is there Telemark skiing comes from.

There are two types of skiing:

Alpine, or downhill, is the kind that is most common. Generally recreational, it is the all-around style that is also rather easy to learn.

Telemark, or cross-country, is quite a bit less common. The skis are different (not sure how) and the bindings lack a locking rear. It is only rarely seen on your recreational slopes, as telemarkers are usually on specified telemarking trails.

Stego says:

< SNOWBOARDIN 0WNZ >
------------------ 
\                             .       .
\                           / `.   .' " 
 \                  .---.  <    > <    >  .---.
  \                 |    \  \ - ~ ~ - /  /    |
        _____          ..-~             ~-..-~
       |     |   \~~~\.'                    `./~~~/
      ---------   \__/                        \__/
     .'  O    \     /               /       \  " 
    (_____,    `._.'               |         }  \/~~~/
     `----.          /       }     |        /    \__/
           `-.      |       /      |       /      `. ,~~|
               ~-.__|      /_ - ~ ^|      /- _      `..-'   
                    |     /        |     /     ~-.     `-. _  _  _
                    |_____|        |_____|         ~ - . _ _ _ _ _>

Originally posted by Wes Marrakesh

The skis are different (not sure how) and the bindings lack a locking rear.

That, plus they clip in at the front differently than downhill, and the boots are far more flexible. They're not hard plastic, they're like regular boots but the front juts out a little so that it can be locked into place.

Archived