Home

Faithfulness to the original

ewok mercenary

Originally posted by Katarn07

I like it the way they are doing it. Same architecture, same puzzles, there is talk of a few new enemies, same old guns, and even the music is the same (redone though). I like it.

That's not all strictly true.

On the whole, the architecture from the original game will remain the same. However, on almost every level there will be additional architecture. In some instances we will have to alter architecture aswell - look at the latest Anoat screens, or the Nar Shadaa ones.

As many puzzles as possible we be kept, however, some of the really dated ones will be changed eg. the Arc Hammer conveyor belt puzzle.

ewok mercenary, you should really check out the FAQ on the website:

How faithfull to the original Dark Forces will you remain?

Our intent is to recreate the experience of Dark Forces as faithfully as possible. Depending upon how much support we get from Raven Software, that may not be possible. If Raven does not release a Software Development Kit (SDK) that gives us complete freedom in the game's source code, then we will only be able to change a limited number of aspects. Even with a SDK, there will be somethings that don't feel right compared to the original. The gravity may not be perfect, the jump may not feel the same, the scale may seem a little strange, and so on. In other words, we will do our best to recreate the game, but there will always be little things that people will find that won't be exact...such is the nature of conversions.

http://darkforces.jediknightii.net/main/modules.php?name=FAQ

Originally posted by ImmolatedYoda

exactly like the original.

I disagree. I think the illogical stuff and linear level design should be changed in the mod. If you really want to play the original DF, you should play it. I see no real point in remaking it exactly like DF.

Originally posted by Emon

I disagree. I think the illogical stuff and linear level design should be changed in the mod. If you really want to play the original DF, you should play it. I see no real point in remaking it exactly like DF.

I tend to agree with you, there. Although many of DF's levels were well done at the time...it can still be improved. I've just recently played through the whole game, and I've already posted some suggestions about what could be changed to make it a bit better. There is certainly the opportunity to add things that may not have a great impact on the gameplay, but can revitalise some areas...

Thats what I usually tend to think as well. Level design has changed so much since DF that although it was great then, now it needs some changing to bring it up to the standard that it deserves.

Don't expect brand new wlevels, dude. Just some new areas if the author wishes to add them. For the most part, architecture will be faithful to the original. I could care less. I had fun playing a mod for MotS called Rebel Agent, which, although at first looks nothing like it, is the 1st level of DF. You start far, far away from the normal shaft you do in DF, and must complete a few more objectives. I had fun, anyhow. Except the gun's bug... Worht getting, by the way. It's over at Massassi probably.

I think the level where you can expect to see the most change will be Coruscant.

As we now know, from two movies, what it really looks like - so I imagine we'll strip away everything and just leave the basic wireframe design in place, then build a proper Coruscant around that.

Also, when you fight Boba in that level, we have had the benefit of seeing Jango fight, so his behaviour and style of fighthing will be very similar to Jango's.

the MOD will be as faithful as we can make it be while keeping it within the confines of Jedi Outcast's functionality.

We aren't aiming to make a total conversion where every last detail is recreated. That's why the menus aren't identical, the credits are at the end, the HUD will look a little different and so on.

We are doing our best while working within the contraints of the host game to recreate the "experience" of Dark Forces. Some things from the original weren't too good or well designed - we aren't going to recreate bad design - we'll fix em up, or update them, or make them work with the JO engine.

For example in the original secret base level, the red key elevator that goes from one floor to the next had to be "actioned" by the player to go up or down. In our version, the elevator goes up as soon as you step on it. This is just the way the engine works and we aren't going to redesign func_plats just to make it more like the original, that would be silly.

so that's the basic idea, i hope that answers your questions.

Archived