Home

The Classic Adventures Pack

Udvarnoky

• 2 weeks later...

The catch, of course, being that it's seemingly the floppy disk version - so no CD soundtrack for you...

And of course, Maniac Mansion ain't hard to get, since it was included in Day Of The Tentacle as an easter egg. Having said that, hunting down Day Of The Tentacle is fairly challenging these days.

Infact, there are a lot of classic lucasarts adventure games "out-of-print" these days :(

Personally, I prefer the floppy disk version included in the pack. I consider it the definitive versions of SOMI. Yes, it had text inventory, but I thought the music was better. Also, the version of Maniac Mansion in the pack is NOT the one in DOTT. The version in the pack is the enhanced PC version (better graphics). The easter egg in DOTT is simply the commodore 64 version.

strictly speaking, it's not an easter egg considering it tells you about it and tells you how to get at it in the DOTT manual. an easter egg is meant to be hidden and hard to find, but in DOTT, maniac mansion is clearly indicated (still have to play that :D ) and yes, it is the commodor 64 version because they couldn't fit the full graphics version on the disk along with DOTT. :D

No it isnt, its the earlier pc release of Maniac Mansion. There were two releases, one with more colours. The one with less colours as you say comes with DOTT.

Its not the commodore 64 version running through pseudo-emulation or anything like that, its a seperate port :)

Yes you will, the version included with DOTT is a pc version. Its a new interpreter, maniac.ovl > maniac.exe.

Theres also the fact that the SCUMM version is different:

C64 MM - SPUTM V1

PC MM - SPUTM V2

PC MM (Enhanced) - SPUTM V2

There was a thread about this eons ago on Mojo here

Heh, I'd have to say Amiga Monkey Island is the definative one, for my sins (i.e. owning an Amiga A600) - Still, I love the "cd-enhanced" version I have, if only for the fact that it's music is better than the version of MI2 on the same disk :)

As for Maniac Mansion - are there any substantial differences between the three versions? Actually, four now i think about it, since there was also an Amiga version, though i doubt it's THAT, because of the PC speaker music and effects. To be honest, I've never seen a version with good graphics.

I know what all the versions look like, thanks.

Anyway, back to subject. I prefer the floppy version included in the adventures pack because it has the best graphics (equal to the CD) and I feel that the music is better. And obviously, it doesn't cut out any of the jokes that the CD version did.

Archived