Home

The Dixie Chicks

*puts on flame retardent suit and grabs megaphone*

Ok listen up. I personally do not like the Dixie Chicks, I don't like they're music. However I do respect that they are grammy award winning artists who have fans who adore them. What I do not respect is the fact that at least once a day CNN makes it publicly aware that one of the singers in that group made a comment that they were embarassed by they're president for starting a war. Now all of the sudden radio stations will not play they're music, and other Country singers are calling them names and bashing them senseless using the same press as a tool. Alot of these stations are the same stations that find no problem playing songs about sex, drugs, and violence. Now all of the sudden, an anit-Bush, or Anti war statement becomes Taboo. The fact that stations will not play they're music is in fact also "Anti-American", and "Anti- Constitutional". Actor Martin Sheen who ironically plays the President on "West Wing", also activily protests the war. Do we ever here his arguments? No, they just show his face and talk about his arrest record. The same thing happened to the Beatles in 1966, where frontman John Lennon made a statement that in some states they were seen as being more popular then Jesus, which for all sakes and purposes was almost true, and they had the record sales to show for it. But then they were booed off the stage, and they're records were burned in the bible belt. What a bunch of garbage.

I am not pro- war. War is never the answer. I do not believe that anyone is really pro-war. I do however feel that war was inevitable but maybe a bit premature. More disscussions and persuasion for other countries to get involved would have been better. In fact, had more countries got involved, I do believe the war would be over by now, and we would be seeing a regime change now, instead of watching tanks roll inot Bahgdad on CNN. As a former Veteran of the United States Navy, I will and always shall be, pro military. I am for the troops. I happen to know that as a service member, you never question your commander in chief, weather he is right or wrong. You swear and oath to "do your duty, and defend your country, regardless of the paramaters of the situation in question. However it is these troops that are doing they're duty to defend our rights in the United States, our freedom. Including our freedom of speech. For radio stations and TV stations alike to ban, or refuse to play songs from artists for making anti-war, or anti Bush statements denys us that freedom, that our troops are willing to die to defend. Poeple who know me, realize that I always respect everyone's thoughts and opinions, as long as they do it in a civil matter, and use evidence to support they're beliefs. No don't get me wrong, when streets are shut down to protest a war, the protesters are in the wrong. When an angry mob of people cross the line in front of the White House, they are also wrong. When anyone uses any act of violence or vandalism to protest a war and promote peace, they are hypocrites. However, when the Dixie Chicks get banned from radio stations for something they said in a press conference, that is both Anti-American and absurd.

Also, do you think every troop that is fighting in Iraq is pro-war or pro Bush? I personally believe that maybe most of them are, but I do know that once you belong to the United States Military, you are governed by a different set of rules. You cannot actively demonstrate anything anti-American without a big fat Article 15, wich referes to Administrative Punishment. You become property of the military, which is why you will never hear Soldiers on CNN protesting Bush, or the War In Iraq.

So my final words on this, are Soldiers are duing they duty to defend our freedom, which like it or not includes "Freedom Of Speech", and "Freedom Of Press". As far as I am concerned, I respect the Dixies Chicks' rights as both Artists, and Americans. I will never purchase they're music or see them in concert, but I will defend they're rights as Americans to say what they feel, and protest the stations that lash out against them. People will never learn to respect each other's opinions, so therefore people will never grow up. You have the right to believe what you will, and say what you want.......but not in public?

Message to CNN: Get off the Dixie Chicks for crying out loud! :mad:

Originally posted by Clefo

I agree 100% totally with what you said, how ironic that we're trying to overthrow a dictator who doesn't allow dissent, when it seems to happen here nowadays.

Thanks you so much for agreeing with me. I expect alot of backlash for this, which I am sure I will get at some point, but I also do not want this to come of as just some mindless rant.;)

I've said this before, I'll say it again: The main reason why people are against the war in Iraq is that Bush and his party are so dang arrogant!

For example, by just dismissing the views of the people in Europe who knows far more about war than Americans do (my homeland lost 5000 soldiers, =300 000 Americans dying, put to scale by population), and he dismisses them as "old Europe".

France speaks its mind, and Bush calls them cowardly. Heck, just speaking up against USA, I believe, is to be considered brave in these days.

Dixie Chicks.. well, you basically summed it up for me.

T-Shirts saying "give peace a chance"/"peace on Earth": Who cares if they made them themselves? That doesn't make them illegal. And as for the excuse that they were a security disturbance: In a country where people are allowed to carry handguns around in public, I wouldn't fuzz too much over two simple T-shirts (that's like speaking up for nudity, and then slamming this girl for forgetting to pull her zip up).

One word: McCarthyism

You are right in that assumption Eets, however I posted this in the Off Topic Discussion area here, because there were many, and I mean MANY serious minded discussions here in the not so distant past, upon which I myslelf recomended that they be moved, a notion that was quickly dismissed, since I was told by Boba Rhett that the "Galactic Senate HERE, was used for something else". I posted it there also because I enjoy the opinions of the Geebee.com members alot more. So, now that I KNOW, do what you gotta do.

poor girls... aparently the comment was made while overseas in europe somewhere and was pretty much said as to get over with the european people who would hear it. not thinking it would cause such waves back home.

they dont deserve to be hung by the media for having an opinion.

There's a certain irony to the fact that in the build up to the war I witnessed lots of pundits saying that nobody really cares what certain actors and musicians think about foreign policy. That they are uninformed and don't understand the compex issues involved and the public shouldn't pay heed to thier views on the matter.

Now we have a country singer make a single offhand remark to an audience overseas and it becomes a type of firestorm.

I have a co-worker who listens to the country station in Boston and they play as much Dixie Chicks as ever.

What I don't understand is why people suddenly stop liking thier music because of it. If you liked it before, what changed? Certainly the music is EXACTLY the same. Do the artists who's work you enjoy have to have the same political views as you do? And if you find that that artist has different views, or behaves in a way you don't approve of does that taint the work?

I personally don't see why it should.

The music you liked yesterday hasn't changed at all. Only your perception of the person who created it has.

Archived