thripweed

which sequence of games is best?, give reasons why or add your own  

16 members have voted

1. 1. which sequence of games is best?, give reasons why or add your own

• monkey island
    • discworld
    • broken sword
    • simon the sorcerer

well, mi is by far the best as it is the funniest. i'm not sure where STS would come in (i'm still trying to complete STS3D) but i would have to put it at the bottom ebcause i generally don't like simons attitude towards life and other people and although i haven't completed 3D, it sucks so far.

discworld is cool although i haven't been able to find discworld (the first one) but i played the others and have been told that they're better. plus the unique gameplay of Noir is pretty cool and had a god storyline with perfect Pterry humour. and then theres broken sword whilst not really being that humerouse they are still two great games. also i'm sure it has some kind of origins from the original mi games.

all in all, pretty good games all of them (eric idel was superb in discworld 2 although i think a few too many Python referances, what am i saying, you can never have enough python referances.) except maybe Simon the sorcerer.

hmm, why have you forgotten space quest?

I wouldn't know about Simon 1. It dosen't work. I've posted this about three times, now... But I really want to play the game! I've installed it fine, but when I try to run it on DOS (it dosen't pop up atomatticly), I get a message saying: CDR101 NOT YET READY READING DRIVE D. I guess it could be that I don't have enough space on my Ddrive, but how do I make more room? I've tryed uninstalling games, but it dosen't work! HELP!

Sorry for going off topic.

• 2 weeks later...

While MI has great sentimental value for me (when I was little my motivation behind learning to read was so I could play SoMI on the Amiga) StS will always be my favourite 2D PnC games. S3D was a huge disapointment, though. So many games are ruined when they step up to 3D (Lemmings, for example).

:: Off-Topic ::

Sam, are you running an older version of StS or are you running one of the recent re-releases with the Windows port?

:: End of Off-Topic ::

MI was my favourite. It combined everything so perfectly; memorable music, excellent graphics (for it's time!), wonderful characters, good humour and the puzzles were just right.

Second is Discworld... I never completed any of them but I enjoyed them.... The conversations went on too long and you could get stuck so that you had to restart but I really loved them anyway... only the second one didn't run on my PC...

Third is Broken Sword. The games have a unique atmosphere and a lot of work was put into them, but they were too serious for my liking and for games that took themselves quite seriously, the plots weren't that hot.

Lastly is Simon the Sorcerer... it was too slow moving and the conversations, assuming themselves to be hilarious, dragged on pointlessly until you were smacking the mouse buttons to skip them in frustration. The music really pissed me off too.

My least favourite game ever that's on that list was a game called Enchantia. It was so linear, that it wasn't even funny. It was an old game that was supposed to demonstrate the power of CD rom... it sucked so much butt that it smelled of poop. I cannot describe to you, as MI fans, how linear it was. Literally, you moved five steps until you came across another puzzle, whereby you had to solve that puzzle before moving another five steps and solving another. It was more like a Platform Game trying to be an adventure game.

Also I think the Maniac Mansion series (MM1 and DOTT) were among the best games ever.

Archived