Home

Happy Easter

Kylilin

I celebrate Easter (and celebrate, and celebrate, and celebrate --I have a very religious family), but I was at mom's house this weekend, where the internet access is . . . undependable.

And when I came back (on Monday), I was preparing for an exam last night.

BTW: this is the only Bunny I'm interested in.

powerstonecel2.jpg

Kawaii Ninja-bunny girl! ^_^

Exactly 1949 years to the day before I was born, it was the part of the Bible in which the sky turned black at mid-day while Jesus was being crucified. I think this messed me up somehow.

They say Jesus was crucified April 7, 33 at nine AM and the sky blackening over the whole land was around noon, which was when I was born on April 7, 1982. Creepy. I am the anti-christ.

Originally posted by Admiral

Anyone know the true reason why there are Easter eggs. Or why we call it Easter?

Probably has something to do with Beltane, the traditional pan-European fertility festival (Beltane was the Celtic name, of course --other cultures had other names for it, I only happen to know the Celtic one).

Traditional symbols of this time include the Corn Dolly (made up of flax from the previous year's first harvest), as well as just about anything one can find that can be made to represent life/rebirth, such as eggs, or rabbits. The corn dolly was the original "Christ-figure," even before there was a Christ named Jesus. He was the "Green Man" of the Celts, the personnification of everything that lived.

As the avatar of fertility, the Corn Dolly was ceremonially executed/buried at the onset of winter. "Beltane-time" is when the "corpse" was exhumed (to show off the buds formed from the "dead" seeds in the effigy). The body was then dismembered and the seeds were the first planting of the farming season (i.e., first planted = first harvested, to be made into a new Corn Dolly).

You'll find death/rebirth myths in almost every mythology (a personal favourite is Osiris, who was dismembered by his brother Set and stitched back together by his wife, Isis). The re-enactment of these legends is an important way of rejuvenating the Earth's Energy after the "death" of Winter, and ensuring the fruitfulness of the new year. All Easter is, essentially, is the beginning of Spring.

Possibly Jesus' crucifiction was just another of those events that Church historians shuffled around to make it fit the symbolic time of a popular pagan ceremony (like his birth being celebrated in December to displace Solstice, regardless of when it actually took place).

You were very close.

Easter is named after the Goddesse Eastre. She was so popular that when the catholic church tried to demonize her along with other pagan gods people refused to listen. You can see the end result.

Coloring of eggs was part of her festival (the church couldn't get them to stop so they changed the meaning of coloring the eggs)

So was a sunrise worship service in the spring of the year, to celebrate the re-birth of the sun, if I remember correctly.

I always wonder why Christians don't recognize Passover instead. Christ is called "The Lamb of God" for a very specific reason: he died at the exact moment everyone in Judea would have been preparing the lambs for the Passover sacrifice. The symbolic connection is no mistake. The Passover Lamb was to be sacrificed as a way for atoning for sins.

Sure, Kylilin, I celebrate Al-Qaeda Guernica, or whatever...! *(Drinks)*

I also celebrate Mary Todd Lincoln's birthday, the anniversary of the erection of the Eiffel tower, the inauguration days of every world leadership office, and Christmas--twice. *(Drinks)*

I guess I have a lot to celebrate. ;)*(Drinks)*

*(Falls down.)*

I celebrate Cupid's Day (not Valentine's day --what's a saint know about luff anyway?), Easter (in lieu of Beltane), Midsummer's Eve, Halloween, Christmas/Solstice/New Years (I would just celebrate Solstice, but everyone around me is Roman Catholic --Besides, I appreciate what Christmas means even irregardless of when it happens).

I also observe St. George's Day (April 23 --just last Wednesday) as memorial to all dragons (and others) who've suffered for the mere "crime" of being "the Other." God help the Outcasts, as the song says. Not the original intent of the day, but an important one, to me.

And Guy Fawkes' Day, because I have to appreciate someone whose only claim to fame is being a failure. ;) He's an inspiration to us all.

*ignores Jem*

Saints would know about love. The kind of unconditional love that's all about reverence, faithful trust, and just general emotional security. It's the kind of love that makes you invincible.

Cupid's Day is all about luff, that sweet, playful, warm fuzzy feeling of falling asleep in the arms of someone who is as beautiful as they think you are. It's physical without being just sexual. This is the kind of love that makes you totally vulnerable, and makes you enjoy it. :heart3:

Originally posted by Flying Beastie

*ignores Jem*

Saints would know about love. The kind of unconditional love that's all about reverence, faithful trust, and just general emotional security. It's the kind of love that makes you invincible.

Cupid's Day is all about luff, that sweet, playful, warm fuzzy feeling of falling asleep in the arms of someone who is as beautiful as they think you are. It's physical without being just sexual. This is the kind of love that makes you totally vulnerable, and makes you enjoy it. :heart3:

I understand what you mean, but you can't tell me the saints who were married didn't know about that. Why wouldn't they?

Archived