Home

Character Relative vs. Camera Relative

Skinkie

I got the game over the weekend and at first had some problems with the controls cause everything is camera relative (you push up, he goes to the top of the screen, you push left he runs to the left) instead of charater relative (you push up he goes forward, you push left, he turns to the left) However after some time I have begun to adjust to this, still, I think it would have been nice of them to let me choose which to use..... Discuss this amongst yourselves, it might be fun......

Yeah, I think the whole control/camera thing in this game (and in Lucasarts games in general?) is a bit lousy really. You learn to work with it in order to play the game but it can feel 'counter-intuitive' like you suggest. Near corners, it is not very good and if you get into a scrap with more than one bad guy you can sometimes move in a direction you don't wish to.

Why it has to be 3rd person, I've no idea. I'm not convinced Indy's face resembles H Ford's either and I'm more interested in playing the game than looking at Indy's face. Most games that I've played recently tend to use the W,S, A & D keys pretty much the same way with A& D as sidestep/strafe left rather than turn left. I still enjoy Lucasarts releases but I think they are coming up short in production quality these days relative to other game releases. IGI2, Mafia and MOHAA were the games I played prior to this and they are 'slicker' I think. I think they were a few people who weren't happy with Jedi Outcast's 'clumsy' movement either and that was first person.

The camera controls on the new Indy game are way clumsy by most standards. (The SW: Bounty Hunter game has all the same problems, so it must be a Lucasarts thing and not the fault of the individual game studios that do the actual work on the games.) There should be an option to lock down the view if nothing else.

Playing it on a PC I've found that re-mapping the controls to a 2-stick gamepad helped a lot though. The left stick is for movement, the right stick is for camera angle, and the right-lower sholder button is for the first person/ re-center view control,.. which is the button I really seem to use the most on this game.

well i found that the controls sucked on the PC version but the Xbox demo i tryed was so easy to control, just not as easy when fighting the planes, i found that they messed up the controls by not making him be able to strafe or turn the mouse as his head, i also didnt like how fast he punchs the other guys get 5 hits on you between your punchs, but the game was fun, they shouldve made this game like JO that had great controls

After having played it for awhile I've got most of the controls pretty much mastered, theonly thing that still gives me trouble is swimming, it bothers me that i can't turn around underwater without doing these huge circles, and the camera really has problems sticking to him while I'm under.

• 3 weeks later...

I have to agree with a lot of the sentiment already voiced. The movement scheme for ET is fine for the console platform...but they should relaly have looked more carefully at control schemes that PC players are used to when porting it.

I'm playing the PC demo at the moment, and the controls are unnecessarily awkward. I play games like Jedi Outcast, Heretic 2, Heavy Metal FAKK2 and Mafia, and in all cases you control where the character looks with the mouse, and move the character with WSAD, usually with A and D as strafe controls, rather than turn. All of those games work extremely well as a result, with intuitive movement control. It's a pretty major oversight, IMHO.

As I stated in the Strategy forum, I've tried reconfiguring the key binds, but although I largely got Indy to move (turn) with the mouse (instead of the keys), I couldn't resolve the camera tracking problem (I was trying to get the camera to turn at the same time that Indy turns). And it's the camera tracking that is largely the problem.

If they would just release a patch to lock the camera behind Indy, and include a back-step rather than a turn-around, and allow you to strafe left and right, it would be a far more enjoyable experience, IMHO. :)

As it is...you really need a gamepad to play it, because that's the way it's been set up. :(

Archived