Home

The end of time?

Well, folx, a numerologically interesting event happened last night at 2:01 am. On May 5, 2003 at that time, the time (digitally) looked like this:

05-04-03 02:01:00

5-4-3-2-1-0 :dozey: Countdown. The end of time; a digital coincidence that will never happen again. Since it was such an interesting event, I set my watch alarm to remind me when the time came...I didn't want to miss the end.

Well, at 2:01 I was listening to the radio and drinking coffee. :mad: There was nothing special about that point in time! It was a random moment just like every other that has preceded it. The digital valuations that mankind has imposed upon the causal flow of events in our universe is entirely arbitrary, and agrees only with itself. In the real world, however, the numbers by which we would call every second mean nothing when compared to what really happens. Life continues, ignorant of the clock.

I want my money back. ;)

Originally posted by Zoom Rabbit

Well, folx, a numerologically interesting event happened last night at 2:01 am. On May 5, 2003 at that time, the time (digitally) looked like this:

05-04-03 02:01:00

5-4-3-2-1-0 :dozey: Countdown. The end of time; a digital coincidence that will never happen again.

You silly rabbit, of course it will happen again. In 100 years. And in 200 years. And in 300 years. Etc.

Tell you what. If any of you are still alive in a hundred years, an assassin rabbit will sneak into the nursing home and bite your IV tubes just to make sure you don't live to see the countdown again...

Is time relative or absolute? I'll try an experiment, *(Lights up a phat doobie)* Hmmm. :dozey: Time does indeed seem to have slowed down. Not quite enough, though.

*(Hops into the cockpit of an A-wing and thunders off straight up into the atmosphere, pushing C--as in the value C in E=MC2--as soon as he hits vacuum.)*

Well, my yes. That does slow time significantly. :) I started writing this post four hours ago by your time, but for me it's only been a few minutes. I've missed my teevee shows altogether...

What can we learn from this? Either don't mess with time dilation, or don't fly when you're stoned. Not sure which it is.

I don't have any way to get a picture of it and post it, but imagine one disgusting blob of metal with some IC packages scattered throughout. Sockets are burned and melted, everything is crooked, it's just terrible. Now, I actually didn't have much to do with the soldering - it was mainly the two other guys in my lab group. In fact, I don't think I actually did any of the soldering on that project. But it's not their fault either. Problem one was that the soldering irons we had were way underpowered for the job at hand. I think they actually had to steal one of the good ones from one of the good labs to finish the job. Secondly - the thing that really made it a mess - was that several of the resistors we were given were the wrong parts. So we had to get the already-soldered resistors out and put the new ones in. And then it turned out the NEW ones were wrong, so we had to pull THOSE out and do it again. The board was looking pretty bad at that point.

But the amazing thing is that it actually works. I was able to program it and get the expected results. The only thing is that I think interrupt 3 doesn't work, but we never use that anyway. It would be pretty easy to fix that up should we ever need it, though - just get a little light gauge wire in there and get the electrical connection solid again.

It's not pretty, but it works. That, my dear friends, is the story of my life.

your soldering could never have been as bad as my electronics project I did 3 years ago.

Firstly we had to draw the circuit onto the board using permenant ink. This was then left in an acid bath for a few hours, and hopefully enough of the metal remained where the pen was for it to carry an electric current. So with my circuit "etched" onto the board I proceded to solder on the different components. I got most of them on in one shot, however they haddn't got the right drill bits in at the time so I had to drill holes that were slightly too big, to make up for this I had to use masses of solder. Then I had to solder on wires cause the board didn't connect up correctly. By the time I had finished it was a miricle it worked. :)

Archived