Home

Controlling Indy

Now feel free to call me a moron, but please tell me why.

I just downloaded the new Indy game and I changed my controls to what I used to have for the old game - figured it'd be easy as that.

NOW. WTF?!?! How can I just get Indy to turn around without running into a wall or off a ledge? Just turn on the spot? Just TURN to face something without taking a step? :confused: :confused: :confused:

I get the camera thing, but that doesn't move Indy...that just lets me float around him.

ALSO - how can I get him to walk all the time without having to hold down the walk key?!

I've read some people talking about the controls... is this just me being stupid and not realizing something or is this totally forked up?

I also read there is a patch for the game that fixes "some control issues" - is this gonna help me out? It doesn't work for the demo and there's no WHHAhAaaaaay I'm buying the game if the controls are always gonna be this clumsy.

I appreciate that most of you will be veterans of this type of game but it's been a good while since I played one and I've never come across one with such a frustrating control setup.

Welll....... HELP! :(

Okay, it's the demo for Emperor's tomb. Sorry if I wasn't clear there - I had just spent half an hour running into walls (not literally. I mean as Indy) :rolleyes:

And I'm new to this forum and didn't think, to answer your last question :p

So is something up with me or is it really just hard to control? I really enjoyed the last game and was hoping this would be more of the same...

The controls in Emperors Tomb were a pain in the butt at first, but after a little experimenting I got the hang of them. As far as I know you can't just turn Indy, just point the camera where you wanna go and press forward, he'll go that way, also if you just barely tap it he'll turn without going too far. Also I recomend the keys where the are to begin with as they are all centered around each other, and are fairly useful that way. Hope this helps you. It really is worth the cash you gotta cough up.

I suggest keeping the default controls. You get used to it quick enough. To turn Indy without moving, hold the C key and turn to the direction you want ....when you let go of the C, he will be in that direction. I haven't seen a setting to make him walk without holding the Alt key. If movement in the game is clumsy, it is because your resolution or video details are set too high for the speed of your computer and video card.....try lowering them. I think this is a great game like the last one, although I have already had to take a quick look at a walkthrough a couple times. Maybe I am just getting old and impatient. Also, if you want to walk up to an edge without falling off, hold down the Shift key.

ps: I think this is a help forum.

Okay! Thanks guys - I'll have another go, keeping the keys at default and using your tips.

I'll probably get the hang of it in the end - it's just annoying that they aren't straightforward enough to jump in and play, though.

Maybe once I've done the demo I'll be an expert :D

yes and Vera also came up with a better way to swim

I think that the controls in general and the swimming can be improved by lowering the display resolution within the game or otherwise speeding up the computer (turning off antialiasing and anisotropic filtering will speed things up alot). I overclocked my video card and now the controls are much better. It may also help for the swimming if Controls, Mouse Speed is set to the middle setting...I had mine set at maximum before. For anyone else frustrated at starting this part, you start off by swimming to the first room to the left. Later, you get a chance to practice your swimming. I'm doing the Prague level now...it looks great.

What I had to do was buy a gamepad with a left and right thumbstick. I bought one for $18 at Wal-Mart. The left thumbstick controls Indy and the right thumbstick controls the scenery. I now can control Indy perfectly. If you push the left thumbstick up a little Indy walks and if you push it up all the way Indy runs. The PC game is like this because it was a port from the X-Box version.

Originally posted by Ham Yoyo

The PC game is like this because it was a port from the X-Box version.

Yyeah, you're right. The problem is, though, that the PC is a different platform, with different controls, and I just wish they'd properly tweak them for the platform they're porting to.

I've only played some of the demo...and right away I was battling with the controls to try and get Indy to go the way I wanted. Any game where I have to start fighting with the controls to get anywhere goes down in my estimation.

Personally, I would have preferred to control Indy with the mouse..and the camera with the cursor keys. That makes a lot more sense to me...

Anyway, if it's moddable...can someone come up with a mod to change the controls like that? I'd appreciate it....

Originally posted by Black Mamba

im still searching for those files Storm.

The Demo and the real game are so different you wouldnt belive me, the real games contrals are flawless and once you pass the first level with them your on a roll.

Thanks for still looking, mate. ;)

I actually managed to get some mouse control, though, by changing the keybinds in binds.cfg. I swapped the movement keys with the camera movement, and after some fiddling managed to get Indy to turn left, go forward and go back. I couldn't get him to go right, though, no matter what combinations I used for the X, Y and Z axis for mouse.

The other problem is that because the game is 'hit-key' oriented, the slightest mouse movement sends Indy off in a new direction. :( Unless there is some way to dampen the mouse sensitivity (I tried lowering the mouse sensitivity in-game, but it didn't work), then it's probably not going to be playable using the mouse.

What I was trying to aim for was to get Indy to move forward, left or right (but not back), and then try to get the camera control configured to the usual movement keys (just left or right would do). I was trying to get an over-the-shoulder feel for the character movement. For some reason, though, the camera control didn't work when bound to the keyboard - unless I kept it linked to the mouse X, Y and Z axis.

I experimented a little after that with the default key bindings, and actually managed better control by moving the camera to keep it centred on Indy's back, while moving Indy around with just the forward, left and right keys. It certainly takes some practice, but I might be able to manage it that way.

I don't know why...but pressing the 'back' key and having the character walk towards me does not feel natural to me, and I always have problems with it. It is very much a 'console' method of doing things, and works well on that platform, but I just can't seem to get the hang of it on the PC.

Anyway...thanks again for trying. If it can be modded (eventually) to an over-the-shoulder viewpoint (with the camera locked on to follow you), then I would probably enjoy the game a lot more. :)

Archived