Home

Game frustration!!!

edlib

Reading through Ike's topic, as well as my own current experiences with the current level of the new Indiana Jones game ('Von Beck's Revenge' level) I am hopelessly stuck on gave me the idea for a new thread.

What do you do when you are stuck on a level of a game that seems too hard for you to get past? How do you deal with the inevitable frustration this causes? I'm sure it's something we have all dealt with at one time or another.

I personally seem to give each level about 20 tries (or at least a couple of hours of play-time, whichever comes first) before I get into "OK, this is really starting to piss me off!" mode. At that point I usually get into really focusing on beating it and getting past. All the fun has usually left it by now, and I'm just driven on succeeding at all costs. This usually lasts another 10 to 20 or so attempts. More than that and I either have to get up and walk away, and shut it off for the day, or I end up starting to yell and curse and start hitting things each time I die. Keeping at it usually doesn't help, and often only makes things worse. Sometimes I have to play another game that I know I can win just to get my mind back into some kind of focus.

If I really try to push it I sometimes get so angry that I put the game on the shelf and never touch it again. I've got a couple of games like this. Kinda stupid, but it happens.

It depends on the game however... with an adventure game like Grim Fandango I don't get nearly as frustrated with because I know that no matter what I do there's a solution, and I don't have to go all the way back to the beginning of the level each time I screw up. JKII had a in-game save, so I always knew I could pick up exactly where I left off, so I didn't mind that game as much either, even if I had to repeat the same part a lot of times.

I don't like to use cheat codes or walkthroughs, but sometimes I have to, just so I don't end up hating myself for totally giving up on a game.

Right now I've been playing the Emperor's Tomb game, and up to this point it's been a lot of fun and going really great. But I hit this level a couple of days ago and can't seem to get past it. I've must have restarted it 300 times or more since I hit it, and I can't seem to make any progress. There's no in-game save, so once you mess-up it's back to the top and you have to repeat all your carefully executed moves all over again. The more I play it, the worse I seem to get, making stupid mistakes and getting killed earlier and earlier each time. And if it were a level that really added a lot to the game I might not mind as much either... but it basically involves running away from a tank and making a series of jumps over pits in your way. No puzzles to be solved,.. no major storyline enhancement,.. just hit the buttons in the right sequence at the right time. And if you're half a millisecond off... well it's back to the top again. :rolleyes:

I know it's just a game, and it doesn't really matter and that I shouldn't get so upset, but sometimes I can't help it.

So,.. what's the most frustrated you ever got with a game, and what are your personal strategies for avoiding or dealing with it?

in xwa, i will try a level maybe up to 10 times in a row before i shut the game down. when i pick it up later, i am usually successful. If it is a situation where i don't know what to do, i will look up a walkthrough. if it is something where i just keep dying, i will keep trying or use cheats if applicable. For example, i still can't jump on the hovercraft in the artus mine level of JKII, so i turn off clipping or beef up my jumping.

but for example, a game like a Mario game on nintendo, you just have to keep trying. I played Mario 64 for dozens of hours and kept trying certain levels over and over until i got what i needed. some days i have the patience to keep trying. others, i get really pissed off and i have to walk away for a bit.

Originally posted by Ikhnaton

For example, i still can't jump on the hovercraft in the artus mine level of JKII, so i turn off clipping or beef up my jumping.

Don't jump.

Just climb up on top of that archway over where the skiffs get powered up (after you kill the connector, so you don't get nuked), then just drop down when the skiff's under you.

And crouch to avoid the low ceiling on the way out.

Well, when i am am fustrated with a game, i like to yell many explicit words at it and then threaten to throw it out the window, or use it for target practice...

After i calm down, however, i walk away and find my chi, and avoid the console or comp like an ex-girlfriend for a couple hours. Usually when i become focused, i find that the problem was my stupidity and the answer was right in front of my nose.

i also swear at games...like in clone wars tonight...mad at those 4 tanks on geonosis after you're done protecting those cannons..gawd i dunno how to get past it....i'm playing on jedi master difficulty, so that's probably it..=/

http://www.gamefaqs.com has some decent free guides that you should check out if you get stuck.

I've just recently rediscovered how much fun the Dreamcast can be. I got back into SoulCalibur and Dead or Alive 2. It took me a little while, but I eventually got back the knack for countering and blocking in DOA2, which is essential to succeeding in the game. I just can't seem to be able to beat the game with this one character, Leon. He's a big bruiser type character and really very slow with only moderate power compared to other characters like him, such as Bass and Gen Fu. It annoys me greatly. Helena's third costume makes me quite happy though. :D

I got Enter the Matrix today and it pisses me off to know end, AS I CAN'T FIGURE OUT HTE FIRST DAMN LEVEL GAH I HATE YOU ALL.

Luckily, I got Vice City yesterday. GUESS WHICH I HAVE FUN PLAY AND WHICH GIVES ME A HEADACHE? Hint: the one in the 80s does not give me a headache

You go in a post office. I GET LOST IN THE ****ING POST OFFICE.

Seriously, I watched the opening cutscene and then can't figure out where I'm supposed to go.

If that is unclear, here it is in timeline form:

T +0 Cutscene

T +1 minute or so Cutscene ends

T +1 min 15 seconds Ghost enters the post office

T +2 WHERE IS THE DAMN ELEVATOR?

hahaha it's like right there....played some of that game yesterday. you following the compass arrow thing that it gives you, or are you not that far? that game is awesome, though my friend was having difficulties when there were a bunch of neverending policemen trying to kill him, dunno if he ever got past them. :D

mmm there is no elevator, use doors?

Archived