Home

The trailer has confirmed my fears

Smood

Originally posted by Smood

FORGET MOVIE!!! (Although I might have liked this)

AT LEAST GIVE ME A GAME WITH REALISM. Give me a game with EXCELLENT animation, not swing a saber so damn quickly and jerkely that you cannot see it.

Listen all I know it is a game, but its attitudes like that, that hinder games from progressing to new levels. Instead, think of it as a conveyance of imagination, give it more meaning then it might even deserve, and watch games flourish and accelerate technologically.

if you hate it so much and aren't satisfied with what they are doing then do the following:

1. go to school

2. graduate elementary school

3. graduate middle school

4. graduate from high school

5. go to full sail or ITT Tech and learn programming

6. make your own engine

7. make your own game

want to know why its so fast paced? BECAUSE ITS ON THE QUAKE 3 ENGINE. get a freaking clue if you are gonna bitch about everything

• Replies 115
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Originally posted by Smood

Zodiac, In what way did they make this closer to the movie! By saying this you must have no clue what realism is. ELABORATE on your vague rebuttle.

They probably aren't making JKA closer to the movies, or they probably are. I'm actually not sure which option they're doing, I just can't judge it from what I've seen from the trailer. But what I am sure of is that I don't even care if JKA's really close to the movie or not. All I want it to be is a fun game. If more fun means getting rid of some elements that make it close to the movie, then so be it.

I think my point of view is very similar to that of Spider Al's and Emon's, so a lot of what I wanted to say has been already said. Cheers.

Lets look at the situation for a minute.

On one side, you've got Smood, a JO player who has novice to intermediate skill at most when it comes to game design.

On the other side, you have Raven, who has been developing games for over a decade, and is one of the most wanted developing companies on the market.

Raven has reasons for making the saber combat system the way they did. Probably because something true to the movies like stupid fanboys want isn't very feasable with current technology. They know what they're doing, and they have good reasons for every major aspect of development.

Smood on the other hand, has probably no experience in the field, therfore doesn't know what is possible and what. He's also making judgements about a game for which he's seen only screenshots and a short trailer. He's also spewing out lies about the first game, which just really boosts his credibility. :rolleyes:

Guest Jolts

what is everyones version of true to the movies saber combat? I hear people say but no one has defined it.

Originally posted by Emon

Lets look at the situation for a minute.

On one side, you've got Smood, a JO player who has novice to intermediate skill at most when it comes to game design.

On the other side, you have Raven, who has been developing games for over a decade, and is one of the most wanted developing companies on the market.

Experience doesn't always result in quality. There's an @$$load of games, movies, books, etc that prove that.

As for Raven as a company, they've always put out ok games. IE nothing that I've considered mindblowing. So that's what I'd expect in the future from JKA and other titles.

Basically, don't rail on Smood. He's got every right to have his own opinion on JKA.

god guys. you are pulling down the game now wait till its out will you i meen it will not stop you from buying it will it no. ...<snip>...you did that with jo saying that jo sucked and how it df2 was better. just wait till the game is out. i will be getting it no matter what you guys say. The trailer has confirmed my fears bit what fears the trailer rocks...<snip>...

From Vagabond: You are being officially warned, JEDI OUTCAST - do not call people names, and do not speak in a hostile manner toward others. State your opinion civilly, or don't state it at all. I have edited out the offending material from this post. Further transgressions may result in post deletions, or possibly banning. Thank you in advance for your cooperation, and I hope you enjoy your stay at LucasForums.

If you notice clearly at the trailer, there's quite a few bugs in it... I'm convinced they are the typical bugs of a still unfinished game since it's not normal for a game company to put a title on the stand that has the characters face facing the opponent all the time while the rest of the body spins around... that would be a serious contortionist feat if you ask me (check the part i nthe trailer where the rodian Character with green double saber slashes a weequay...see it frame by frame).

I am gonna buy the game even if it's just JO with a few more novelties. Why? Well first cuz that trailer doesnt come even close to prove me the game sucks...If my mind is set on seeing a certain movie at the local theater and a few people I know already saw it and say it sucked...I go anyway... I happened to disagree with those people on some ocasions regarding movies...the opposite has also happen...people say blairwitch project rocked...and I totally thought the movie was a waste of time...but hey that's just me.

watching the trailer i can see somethings i wished to be changed like the lightning fast gameplay... i dont exactly like sluggish games but i think that fast is exagerate... im not gonna condemn the game to burn in Hades flames for that tho... I was also hoping for a more interesting double bladed saber handling... oh well... too bad.. on the other hand dual sabers look kick@ss.

Level design seems pretty interesting if you ask me.

Now there's news about an Assault game type...thumbs up Raven.

The character custumization works fine from what I saw...nice!

Burnt out character wounds....hmmm that wampa looked like he was all rigged with xmas lights... better make the saber deal more damage before that happens. Show potential either way.

This time we are a true jedi learner... kyle was a good character but that reluctant jedi role was getting on my nerves...again thumbs up Raven.

Guyz... I'm a modder...I ahve been ever since JK1... do you want to know why im a modder? cuz im picky as hell and no game EVER was built 100% to my taste... sometimes i spend more time changing a game than actually playing it... the first thing i said when i tried JO was... "my god..this game sure needs some new models for MP... these suck!"... I am gonna buy the game... if i dont like it... i'll change it the way i can... what i can't...some other modder will do that eventually. I've been paying close attention to renegadeofphunk's movie battles mod cuz it introduced something i liked into the game.

Now you may not want to buy a game that has to be modded i nthe first place... i can surely understand that... but i think it's too rash to pass judgement on the game now...when it's not completed and you didnt try the game yourselves.

I may eventually hate the game...but i wont know until i play it.

Right now my mind is set on buying it...and hopefully....MODDING IT :)

Guest Jolts

One thing I think they could have cleaned up between the 2 games is how well grounded people are to the enviorment. Right now it is still the old JO way of looking more like your skiing on the ground playing different animations. Scrub through the dakr jedi kicking the player, and just watch the foot work. Instead of rocking back on his foot keeping it grounded and in place it slides back behind him rotating the entire body.

Its a small thing and its something most people might not think they notice, but it would help clean up some of the gameplay. Movement speed being the second thing to clean up, but if any puzzles were built taking speed of the player into account they won't think twice about tweaking that. There are lots of other ways to make gameplay fast paced w/o having to actually move at light speed.

As far as making the sabers like the movie, I think what people really mean is being able to swing the saber left to right, right to left, top to bottom w/o having to actually move. But also at the same time being able to do those same moves while moving in any direction creating total user control. It worked great in obi wan and let you pull off some cool attacks in groups or solo jedi fighting.

Originally posted by Jolts

what is everyones version of true to the movies saber combat? I hear people say but no one has defined it.

I don't know about other people, but for me movie lightsaber fighting is all about lightning quick attacks and counter attacks. Flips and jumps and super human moves. That's why I love JO. It provides that for me.

Originally posted by Solbe M'ko

It's not just the engine; this game did not take as long as JO (I think), nor did it really change anything, like JO did to JK.

What more do you want them to change? You've seen the rough list of new features and improvements. How much more is needed before it counts as a "new game"?

By the way, if you had jerky animations in JO, you've got some serious problems on your system. JO has some of the smoothest, most realistic animations I've seen in a long time. MP borks up the running sometimes, but nowhere near as bad as you make it out to be.

Originally posted by Emon

By the way, if you had jerky animations in JO, you've got some serious problems on your system. JO has some of the smoothest, most realistic animations I've seen in a long time.

This is my experience also. I have a Pentium IV and a G3 video card, and my game runs as smooth as silk. No jerkyness anywhere to be found. Except maybe my play :)

JKII's animations are very smooth, however they are also very bland, Especially the medium stance swing, what I didn't like on the trailer was when the Dual Saber was ignited that the same animation for that was used when the Jedi slashed the grate, I was quite dissapointed at that, however the game isn't completed yet so that could be subject to change.

Originally posted by Count_D00ku

however the game isn't completed yet so that could be subject to change.

Yeah, the game is still five months away, so there will be plenty of time for tweeking and improvements.

Guest Jolts

I'm not talking about jerky animations or poor animation, watch the trailer again and just focus on the kick and tell me what you notice. Load up a level in JO and spawn a reborn acrobat run around him when he does flips, or jump on on something and tell me does it stick his hand or is he alreadying floating at you before the feet are planted on the ground?

The trailer is missing frames, thats why the animation looks this way. JO mov trailer had the same problems and I was really concerned about animations but they turned out very well eventually. Anyway just look at the finishing move that Twi'lek is applying to laying Tusken. In 80 fps game animation it will look much like the spinning stab that Oi-Wan used to finish acklay at Geonosis arena. But right now you must watch it frame by frame to notice that she spins her sabers twice before stabbing. Same goes to most of animations you can see in this trailer. In fact when you learn to live with it you can see all improvements like vast open areas, rideable tauntauns, saber and weapon burns and so on.

Concerning gameplay pace, I guess it's also because of the movie capturing method. Again it was the same effect in JO trailer.

Other problem, as mentioned, are some animation bugs wchich is normal at this stage of development. Look at the beggining of the scene whit your character pushing this ugly-textured rock. You can see him standing in default skeleton position. It looks unnatural and shouldn't be there.

And remember promises about great interaction between character animation and world. It must be there, so JA should't repeat JO's errors in this matter.

Archived