Home

Question about "Uber" Characters

Harkano

First up howdy guys. Decided to register and hang around here rather than official boards.

Quick(ish) question -

From what I've read on your and official FAQs any changes of attributes (health etc) will result in deficits elsewhere. My only real on line RPG experience is with MUDs like the Discworld MUD. In this there are characters who have like 100,000 HP as they advance their skill called other.health. Now my character advanced this a lot to get a couple of thousand from the starting health of a hundred or so.

Now from what I understand in SWG the 3 years old Jedi Master with ultra skills in everything could have the same HP as my new character yeh? Also with only a few months character development my character could be equal with the Uber master and able to defeat him in combat since their is a low upper limit of skills. Can someone confirm or completedly debunk this?

Also on another note. If I advance a bit of one skill and then realise its completedly worthless I can remove the skill points with very little penalty.

Damn I can ramble.

Anyways - appreciate an answer

Lata,

Harkano:atat: :atat:

Now from what I understand in SWG the 3 years old Jedi Master with ultra skills in everything could have the same HP as my new character yeh?

Yes, the Jedi will pretty much have the same health, if he has not changed it. If he changes it, he will have to subtract points from the Mind and/or Strenght pools.

Also with only a few months character development my character could be equal with the Uber master and able to defeat him in combat since their is a low upper limit of skills.

The Jedi will have their own skill trees. They are ment to be uber. However, it's is also much much much much much more difficult for them to advance towards Jedi Knight status, not to mention Jedi Master status.

Also on another note. If I advance a bit of one skill and then realise its completedly worthless I can remove the skill points with very little penalty.

Yes, and no. There are no penalties for removing skill points from a skill other than loosing the ability to preform that skill. You can at any time learn yourself this skill again if you choose to, but it will not magically be known to you again just because you have learned it before. :)

Alternativelly, you can learn a set of other skills of your choice instead.

So it really depends if you think this is a large or small penalty. ;)

I see it as a small penalty which takes time.

And lastly:

[align=center]Welcome to the

SWGalaxies.Net Forums!!![/align] :)

I'm Jan Gaarni, XO of the Official Welcomming Committee and Moderator of this place.

The 2 other Moderators here are Wraith 8 and Darth_Sidious.

Be sure to check out the Read This First thread at the top of this forum, as it contains some guidelines on how to behave, if you haven't all ready. :)

Most here are friendly and the aggression level is far from what you will find in the Official SWG Boards, so I'm sure you will like it here.

Please feel free to stay as long as you want. :)

And have some chocolate covered gnorts. :D Complementary Juztyn, the Admin of these boards and SWGalaxies.Net. :p

Also be sure to check out the SWGalaxies.Net site which is connected to these forums. :)

We hope you enjoy your stay here on the SWGalaxies.Net Forums. :)

Thanks for the welcomes guys.

About my question though.

I wasn't referring specifically to Jedi when talking about a long term character being able to whoop a newish character.

As another example my brawler character should be able to match another brawler character who has been around a lot longer since there is a physical limit to the skills we can both learn.

Also as another question.

Force Sensitive character slots - are they like randomly lottery-esque allocated or must a character complete a really hard/time consuming/rare quest? As far as I understand it the FSCS is only available on the same server as the character who gained it yeh?

And regarding perma-death for Jedi if the Jedi dies X times and his character is lots does the user lose their FSCS or just the specific appearance, skills items of their "WannabeJedi" FSC?

Sorry for all the questions but after seeing the E3 footage of SWG I've started getting really excited about it. Expecially since I have just recently got boradband and now that school is over forever I have all sorts of game time until Uni starts.

One last thing - if the FSCS is awarded by a quest is the quest going to be unique for every character? There could be all sorts of problems if the quest is similar or there are only a dozen or so variations. Imagine if the quest was like you get approached by a crazy force sensitive at a certain time in your characters development - like that Vima something who does the fortune telling in one of the EU books. Everyone would know to help out the crazy lady when she approachs you asking for alms.

Anyways

Lata,

Harkano

EDIT: Btw guys sorry for mentioning and asking about Jedi. Seems theres a bit much of that looking at older posts and people are getting quite annoyed about it. But i think I've made some valid speculation.

Well, hello Harkano. For your second post...

Yes, your advanced brawler will propably whoop a beginner brawler's ass without any problem. Not because he has better stats, but because has better skills. However, he will take about as much punishment to kill, just as in real life; just because a hardened captain has trained in the army for twenty year doesn't mean he can take more bullets in the head than a lowly recruit. This is where it deviates from most fantasy games *coughD&D, EQcough*, where an experienced warrior can get repeatedly hit in the head with an axe and laugh it off. So the battle system un SWG is more realistic.

It is not known how to unlock the FS slot. Yes, it will take time. And the devs have said "eventually people will find out how to gain the FS slot, but until then, we want them guessing". Think of it as a very rare quest that noone will know about until someone finds out. Don't expect to meet a jedi in the game the first four months, though.

It is impossible to make unique quests for 100 000 players. However, there might be variations to the quest, so that you won't know exactly what you need to do to unlock it.

EDIT: oh, I missed some parts. Yes, the FC slot is only available on the server where you gained it. And no, dying permadeath doesn't remove the FC slot, it 'merely' remove the character, letting you try again. I mean, having permadeath remove that FC slot that you worked half a year for would be just slightly too sadistic to be healthy, now wouldn't it? ;)

Thanks setsuko -

I thought that would be what the combat system would be like. Unlike in the games you mentioned where a character has thousands of heath points and can take absurd damage while a bite from a womp-rat can kill a newbie. A lot more realistic and fun.

But wouldnt the skill system mean that in your example the hardened captain who has been training for 10 years be beaten by the snappy young private who has been training for 2 years since both have reached the limit of what is humanely (or rodianely or wookieanely) possible by having level 100, master rating, elite competency or whatever in hand-to-hand

Lata

Harkano

P.s Dr. Zaius

Can I play the piano anymore?

:D

Originally posted by Harkano

But wouldnt the skill system mean that in your example the hardened captain who has been training for 10 years be beaten by the snappy young private who has been training for 2 years since both have reached the limit of what is humanely (or rodianely or wookieanely) possible by having level 100, master rating, elite competency or whatever in hand-to-hand

That's where player skills comes into play: someone who has been around longer knows which skills to use when, how to use the different skills to the maximum advantage, and how to put the smackdown on you for real. Consider fighting games, like Tekken, Virtua Fighter or Soul Calibur: two players playing the same character has access to exactly the same skills. However, there is a huuuuge difference between a good player and a novice player: the good player will almost always win, even if they have accesss to the same skills (yes, in SWG, you use special skills all the time, like aimed shots, manouvers, etc. They all have advantages and disadvantages, making combat more than just sitting there and clicking 'the attack button' and wait while your avatar chops away with a sword).

EDIT: however, what it do make possible, however, is for the new recruit to kill the hardened veteran, if the hardened veteran plays badly. I mean, there's no way a lvl 5 Fighter can kill a lvl 42 Fighter in EQ. It is just not possible. However, if you always live with the threat of being killed if you play badly, you have to actually think during combat. Something that I truly applaud. Playing wisely should be better rewarded than having played for a looong time, IMO.

This is my 1st post. But I want to let you all know I have been reading for months..... The moderators as well as regulars are sooo helpful it is amazing. I just wanted to give you all props. Thanks, you have answered so many questions I have had, and I have never "had" to post a question....You rock. When newbies arrive, (I am looking @ myself...) You accomodate and remain patient with most. thanks again.

No problem, after all, it's how the interaction of the regulars and the newcomers works that really sets the overall quality of a board. When it is out of sync, eventually all activity will deteriorate. Oh, and other than that, new members brings new thoughts to the table, without them, the boards would turn stale indeed! Ah, the regulars and the newcomers, the symbiosis of the message boards. Makes it look like a movie on one of those nature channels, doesn't it? ;)

Oh, and for all of you not welcomed yet: welcome. Have a cookie. They're in the second jar to the left above the stove. Don't make the same mistake as Wombat did, and eat from the first jar, and you'll be fine.

I'm tired of the jerks of DAoC who say, "I'm level 30, and you're 27 you stoopid n00b."

Don't worry, you'll see this in this game to. ;)

"I'm a Master Brawler, you're just a Initiate Brawler, you stoopid n00b!"

Don't try that here though. ;)

Archived