Home

Woo Hoo, an Upgrade (sort of)

Well, I manged to grab some upgraded stuff for my PC for real cheap. All for the price of $30, I was able to grab a MSI MS-6330 Motherboard (Turbo Limited Edition), with a Athlon 1.4 Ghz TBird with a stock heatsink installed on it, and a Geforce2 MX 32 MB graphics card.

Nothing big but its a nice up from my old stuff. I had a P3 450 with a 16 mb TNT2. The price is what I liked best. ;) Just thought I would share.

Sort ya. Ha Ha. Nahhh. Around here we have a web service which host a message board for my university. The Wolf Web. There is a classified section were people sell and auction stuff off. So I got lucky and bid on some guys old hardware and pesto, instant upgrade. Not bad huh.

I know its not a top of the line sys, but it will help out compared to what I have trendously for a small price. Plus I will finally get to play Generals. Think I will grab a copy after I do the upgrade. :D

WOW!!!:eek:

That's incredible. I know guys who would LOVE to get those kind of deals!(me included:D )

WOW!!!:eek:

Let me know how it runs. I have a friend who has about the same system. He has an Athlon XP 1900+ w/ a GeForce2 MX. It's not the best graphics card you can get, but it pumps out some good graphics for the price...especially for that price.

Hey did I mention...WOW!!!:eek:

I recently built myself a new computer, but if I could have gotten a deal like that I would've built 2 computers.

Here are the specs on my new system that is on it's way to me right now :)

CASE: Tuber X-Dreamer Med Case 350W w/ See-Thru Windows & Sound Actived Neon Light

Casecolor: BLACK

CDRW: (BLACK) CD-RW 52X24X52

CPU: AMD Athlon™ XP 2500+ Processor [barton 512K L2 CACHE]

FAN: AMD CERTIFIED CPU FAN & HEATSINK + 3 EXTRA CASE FANS

FLOPPY: [bLACK]1.44 MB FLOPPY DRIVE

HDD: 40GB 5400 RPM ATA 100 HARD DRIVE (I have a 120 gig, 7200 rpm drive I'm gonna stick in to make up for this)

IEEE_CARD: NONE

KEYBOARD: BLACK PS2 INTERNET KEYBOARD

MEMORY: 1024 MB PC3200 400MHz DDR MEMORY (REQUIRES KT400 MB)

MODEM: PCI 56K V.90 FAX MODEM W/ VOICE

MOTHERBOARD: MSI K7N2 Delta-L 800 FSB nForce2 DDR400 AGP 8X w/ Audio,USB2,LAN

MOUSE: BLACK PS2 INTERNET MOUSE w/ WHEEL

NETWORK: PCI 32 BIT 10/100 NETWORK CARD

SERVICE: 3-Year STANDARD WARRANTY PLUS ONE-YEAR ONSITE SERVICE

SOUND: AC97 3D WAVE ON-BOARD SOUND CARD

SPEAKERS: 480WATT SUBWOOFER STEREO SPEAKERS [sK-102-102]

VIDEO: nVidia GeForce-FX 5200 128MB DDR W/ TV OUT & DVI

I'll probably also tweak a little from there :)

Good stuff Homer...good stuff.:eek:

Deffinatly worth starting a nieghborhood cult to worship it...mmmhmmm...

I'm in one of those cults...currently we are worshiping a hot new Alienware that a friend of mine just bought. We are starting to run out of little animals to sacrifice so we're thinking about using small children. Does anybody out there know if that works just as well? or not?

jk about the cult BTW ;)

Mmmm...I love these threads, so I can brag....:-p

(Some of this stuff, I dont know what it means...so here we go:

CPU Type: Intel Pentium 4HT, 3049 MHz (5.75 x 530)

Motherboard: Intel Maryville 2 D850EMV2 (5 PCI, 1 AGP, 4 RIMM, Audio)

Motherboard Chipset: Intel Tehama i850E

System Memory: 512 MB (RDRAM)

BIOS Type: AMI (09/19/02)

Video Card: RADEON 9700 PRO (128 MB)

3D Accelerator: ATI R300

Monitor: Gateway FPD1830

Sound Card: SoundBlaster Audigy

HD: Maxtor (200 GB, 7200 RPM, Ultra-ATA/133)

Optical Drive HL-DT-ST CD-RW (48x/24x/48x CD-RW)

Optical Drive HL-DT-ST DVDRAM

*Wonders if I have a good chipset and motherboard*

Originally posted by Darth_Rommel

*outmaxes acrylic guitar*

Radeon 9800 Pro. :cool:

...too bad you've bested me in most-- scratch that-- ALL other categories.

Lol! What can I say...except...I'm special!!!!! 9800...wow! How much did you spend on that thing?

Heh heh, I'm happy with my 64 MB GeForce2 MX/MMX 400 w/TV-OUT. As long as it can run my games, I'm fine. I'm just trying to get a better processor higher than 2.0 Ghz...including a new hard drive...and a memory chip (256+ prefrebly) that would run on a 233 Mhz Mother Board or something like it. Maybe eBay may have something cause I'm NOT spending $700+ just to upgrade my PC.

Current Specs:

17" E771a Monitor

Intel Pentium4 2.0 Ghz Processor

256 RDRAM(Or something like it)

40 GB Hard Drive (That's all I Know about it)

64 MB GeForce MX/MMX 400 w/TV-OUT

16x DVD-ROM

32x/12x/32 CD-RW

Harman/Kardon Dual Speakers

ACPI Uniprocessor PC (No clue what that means, but it sounds good):D

Wait...*looks at previous threads*gee...wish I have a job. *bangs head* Just 5 more months, just 5 more months, just 5 more months...

yeah...that's my problem too...well besides WinMe (don't worry tho...XP is just a week away from being bought). P4 1.5 Ghz. Got it right when the P4s came out so it wasn't the newer versions out there right now...but it's got everything else in creation. 1GB Ram, Radeon 8500, etc. Its processor just isn't great...apparently the 1.3s were suposed to have specs close to an 800Mhz P3 when they first came out...not great...so I don't know what the 1.5 runs at...but it deffinatly isn't close to a 3Ghz machine.

But I'm good...pretty sure I'll get a computer before going to college next year...and it WILL be an Alienware...been drooling over those things for years...

Originally posted by AcrylicGuitar

Anyone else care to comment on my computer specs? ;)

You were wondering about your mobo and chipset...Yes, you do have a good mobo and chipset. The i850E is a nice chipset with plenty of features. Personally, I'm an AMD guy all the way. I figure, why do I need slightly more powerful computer, for a MUCH higher price???

My specs...

Proc: Athlon XP 2000+

MoBo: ASUS A7N8X Deluxe

RAM: 512MB DDR266 RAM (hopefully DDR333 running at Dual Channel Speed soon!)

Hard Drive: 40GB Maxtor 7200RPM and 30 GB Maxtor 7200RPM

Video Card: PNY GeForce4 4200 64MB w/ 8X AGP

Sound: Onboard Soundstorm sound (almost Audigy 2 quality...it's the best onboard sound by far)

CD-RW: Phillips 8x4x32 (I REALLY need a new CD-RW)

FINALLY......

Well, I had to grab a new case to fit my new hardware upgrades. My old case was specific to my old mother board. All the connector pins were all ribboned together into one and could only fit in one way. So I went out and grabed a nice super mini tower. Very nice case. Its soo small, but holds even more than my old full tower. :eek:

Anyways, I was able to get a nice quiet seagate 40 GB HDD from work, so I thought that since I was upgrading hardware, and will not be using a lot of old programs since I am finished with school, that I will just slap this puppy in and do a fresh clean boot. Well, I did not know it, but the board has been over clocked and it was making my memory very very very unstable, hence I could not install the OS.

Finally, last night, I managed to slow down the clock ratio to a normal speed and got the base OS installed. Now I have long weekend of installing progs ahead of me after I get off work. (And I need to do some major cleaning too).

As far as specs go, this is what I will be running now.....

MSI 6330 K7T Turbo (Limited Edition) MoBo

Athlon 1.4 Ghz (266 Mhz) TBird

768 MB SDRAM PC133

32 MB Geforce 2 MX 400

40 GB Seagate HDD ATA 100 (NTFS) - Primary

100 GB Western Digital HDD ATA 100 (NTFS) - Slave

10, 13.5, & 20 GB HDD (NTFS) Linked through USB (1.1)

3.5 Disk Drive

250 MB ZIP Drive

Plextor 40x12x40 CDRW

Matsu****a 4x DVD ROM

Onboard Sound (DirectSound AC'97 Audio)

SoundBlaster Live! 5.1 Platinum

Not a bad little machine. Like I said, its nothing to go crazy over, but it will last me for a few more years. Plus the upgraded parts were so cheap, it was an offer that I could not refuse.

Originally posted by NL_Ackbar

geforce 2 mx .........:confused:

but for the price it does not matter

Yeah, nothing to get excited over, but it was better than my TNT 2 16 MB. Plus $30 for the card, mobo, and chip was something that I could not say no to.

Archived