Home

Recruiting for Project.

Nilrem

Hi, I'm currently recruiting, 2D/3D artists (2D for now, will need some 3D artists however) for a remake of Monkey Island 1 (The Secret of Monkey Island). To find out more reply here or email me at jammysa@hotmail.com or merlin@accessroot.com

The game is not illegal to recreate, as long as it is not sold, or distrubeted, it is merely a learning process for others.

IF the files are decided to be released LEC will be consulted first and permission will be inquired to release any files through Lucas Files

P.S. Can a moderator please delete my thread in the offtopic that is about this, I posted it in the wrong section, my apologies.

Do you have anybody commited to this project?

It's a bad idea really, it'd be hard to top the backgrounds and music of the original game without some exceptional artists and a lot of effort, and even then there's still a hell of a tedious task in recreating all the dialogue, making it work nicely etc.

Also, there is no way that LucasArts would possibly let you distribute this, they are still selling the first two of the series and have not yet released them to the public. Although hopefully, in the near future, the cold, black, and minute heart of Mr Lucas may pump some blood to his brain and he may order Jeffrey to let the commoners play the games that are too old to warrant purchasing anymore, and too difficult to find.

It may be better to focus on creating a unique adventure, I'm sure there'd be a lot more interest in that, and there are already large communities and websites dedicated to the practice.

MI 1 & 2 has a feel to it which 3D cannot re-create. it has a realism about it which would need a hell of a lot of 3D power to make it work (in which case you'll need to sell it to cover production costs which LEC (wrong) will not allow you to do). But even so, you'll need to do something about the 3D of the charcters as EFMI was not anything like the MI feel of MI1 and 2 which is what most people love.

I've wanted to recreate Mi for a long time now, I just figured people would be more likely to be attracted to the project if I announced it as 3D, if more people would like it to be in 2D then so be it.

Lucasforusm is generally the home of most MI fans and most fans liked teh game in 2D. if you asked someone who is not a fan, they may be more interested because they do not know the magic of the 2D art in the first ones.

Neil, kindly shut up. It would NOT a huge amount of 3D power to get a 3D monkey island up and running, I have some code somewhere for use with the original Quake 3 that looks EXACTLY like the 2D version, but in 3D (it's kind of spooky what a good job they did, actually).

This was about three years ago and it ran perfectly smoothly on my PIII 500Mhz.

And what's with all the negativity?? If you don't like it, don't play it! Why on earth are trying to stop someone from doing something new??

Good luck, Nilrem! I, for one, would be interested in seeing the final results!

~ John

Dont be so rude to Neil, "whats with all the negativity?"

People feel that its a bad idea because it'd be very hard to do well and for the simple fact that its extremely likely to get shut down, I agree with them.

Yeah, saying 'kindly' was nice, but kinda got shot down by the whole 'shut up' comment, I dunno, it kinda just put a sour note on the rest of it.

Basically, if I'm wrong, please kindly tell me in a rational way, I don't claim to be an expert so it's not as if I'm gonna fall to pieces when you tell me I'm wrong.

Sorry for saying all this about 3D and all, I'm just giving my opinion. By all means, make this game, it'll be an acheivement to add to a list and people may or may not like it, goes with all art. But with all art come praise and critisism. Just a note. I'll 'shut up' now, shall I?

Hey guys, simmer down yeah?

I didn't mean to create such hostility and friction, I welcome all feedback on my ideas, thankyou for the good luck, I'm sure I'll need it; but still, thanks Neil for your thoughts as well.

On a sidenote, I can code the game (or a prequel to the game), while it will still be a challenge, that's a given, I know I can do it.

The thing that I cannot do, well, cannot do well is the artwork, characters, models, animations/sprites etc.

I guess the best way for me to get people recruited is to code a lot of the engine and show it to them with crappy graphics and see if they would want to have their artwork/graphics there instead.

I think what I am going to do is to remake quite a fair bit of SoMI with not so good graphics, then keep the game engine code and then start work on a prequel if I can get some artists, and some good story developers/boarders.

Might be some time before this is done, so if you would like to jump on board the band wagon now then please get in touch.

jammysa@hotmail.com

or

merlin@accessroot.com

Originally posted by InfinitySquared

I agree with Thunder, kindly shut the **** up. He's trying to test his skills and you keep throwing crap at him about how he can't or shouldn't.

Honestly, you try to be nice but...:rolleyes:

Listen, Nilrem, if you want, I can work on a few backgrounds for you if you want. Contact me on MSN messenger neil_joshi@hotmail.com and I'll send some stuff over. I can also do characters, although not as well. I'd give you a link to a site with my work on, but with mojo down, it's quite impossible, so never mind.

I'm simply doing this because I enjoy doing artwork on the computer.

Originally posted by Neil Joshi

MI 1 & 2 has a feel to it which 3D cannot re-create. it has a realism about it which would need a hell of a lot of 3D power to make it work (in which case you'll need to sell it to cover production costs which LEC (wrong) will not allow you to do). But even so, you'll need to do something about the 3D of the characters as EFMI was not anything like the MI feel of MI1 and 2 which is what most people love.

That's a fact you have to be concerned about. The 3D characters in EFMI were cool .. but it didnt hit my ssa like those in MI 1, 2 (and CoMI). .. I've just played 1, 2 and CoMI in a row and i must say i dont want it to be any other way! But, Nilrem, why dont you comeup with Monkey Island 1.5?? Tell the story BETWEEN MI1 and 2 .. what happened to Guybrush and Elaines love? Why are they divided? Etc.

I would suggest for any MI Game developer NOT to do it in 3D 3rd-person or I-person style.. 3D is ok, but since Tombraider Turok Quake (and lots more) hit screens some years (somemanymanymanyyears) ago it is nowadays just boring to get every game with optics like this.

Why dont try to do it with point'n'click-interface? Try to establish graphics like in Monkey 1 to 3 by using a 3D engine.. this will cause lots of work but it hits for sure..

needless to say sound is the second most important point on which developers of EFMI made biiiiiig mistakes. The mistake was to cut sounds almost complete off :oP

Thankyou, I have taken all of what you have said into consideration.

Sorry for the late reply(?) I haven't been here for a while because I've been in talks with an independant company who have asked me to go and work with them on their own game project, if I accept/get the job then this will have to be post-poned or worked on lightly.

Archived