Home

Let's get rid of hp regenerating force powers!(?)

Luc Solar

Hp regeneration force should be  

33 members have voted

1. 1. Hp regeneration force should be

• excluded from JA altogether
    • available for light side only but not usable in mid-battle
    • available to darkies as well, but it should not be as effective as the light side power "heal-wise"
    • left the way they are in JO

I like the idea of passive force powers, but I see that there can be a lot of downsides... But it would be really great if the difference between dark and light side became more clear.

Darksiders would have other abilities and disadvantages than the Lightsiders. Right now only a set of forcepowers seperates a Jedi from a Sith...

• Replies 94
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Darksiders would have other abilities and disadvantages than the Lightsiders. Right now only a set of forcepowers seperates a Jedi from a Sith...
According to movie canon Hertog, the only thing that separates a Jedi and a Sith is how they use their powers, and in what spirit. Jedi can use choking powers, Sith can cloud the minds of others. There's no division in powers. Think MOTS.

How I want it:

Heal:

as some said, you crouch & meditate. Health gradually increases until a certain hp is regained, depending on the level of the force. I think it should be at least 2x as much as it is i 1.04. (in duels you will almost never be able to use this, so if you manage to use it then it better be worth it). It can't be to slow though, it should be pretty fast, but it would leave you open for hits for maybe 5 seconds. Which is forever in JK2. All other force powers are turned off if you use heal (protect, absorb).

Drain:

You can only walk while using it and you can't block anything. The wideness of the drain is about 50% less than JK2, making aiming actually necessary. When you use drain you can't abort it until 2 seconds passed by. The healing you do is the same rate as in JK2 except for one thing; When you start to drain someone the drain goes slow but slowly speeds up, after locking on to the other guy for maybe like 1,5 seconds the drainrate is 100%. the lvl2 version should not be infinit ranged, if you want to drain you must stay near your opponent.

So; light siders needs to get a distance between the opponents to heal, and the darksiders needs to stay close to be able to heal (and use a little bit more aiming skill).

Healing will be much harder and the opponent can beat you up really hard if you try it.

Originally posted by Spider AL

According to movie canon Hertog, the only thing that separates a Jedi and a Sith is how they use their powers, and in what spirit. Jedi can use choking powers, Sith can cloud the minds of others. There's no division in powers. Think MOTS.

**** the movies ;) No seriously, it's for gameplay's sake. I just like to see more differences between the light and the dark side.

And if both Jedi and Sith can use the same powers, JO was wrong too in MP, since you can't use absorb and grip at the same time :rolleyes:

And if both Jedi and Sith can use the same powers, JO was wrong too in MP, since you can't use absorb and grip at the same time
That's right. Hence: Think MOTS. ;)

No seriously, it's for gameplay's sake. I just like to see more differences between the light and the dark side.
Why? The more differences, the harder to match the two sides. And nowhere, including the canon, does it say that there should be many obvious differences. Hence my previous post.

I think MOTS was the ideal, personally. The best gameplay came from everyone having the same access to the same powers.

Frankly all these "passive" force powers would only turn the game into a massive ballroom dance. People circling each other for hours...

So it would be just like now. Might as well just call it a mod and have done with it :) And Al, are you using the movies to support your point? Has the world gone topsy-tervy? :D I do agree with you though. I always thought MOTS had handled force powers the best. I'd be thrilled if JA went that way. Mero has some good ideas too.

Originally posted by Solbe M'ko

I'm actually kind of disappointed that LEC didn't market this as a stand alone expansion, because it really isn't JKIII.

LEC isn't marketing it as JKIII...

And Al, are you using the movies to support your point? Has the world gone topsy-tervy? :D
Hey, if it works, use it. :p

Seriously, nah. I was just under the impression that he'd gotten the idea that Jedi and Sith should be separate, from the same place most people do, the secondary canon. So I decided to point out that the primary canon agrees with the opposite.

So it would be just like now.
This is sadly true... Fortunately, it isn't currently the best way to win, even though people do it. The danger is that passive powers would make running away, the best way to win. Thus, I'd have to do it. :( I don't like running.

Hey, if it works, use it. :p

Seriously, nah. I was just under the impression that he'd gotten the idea that Jedi and Sith should be separate, from the same place most people do, the secondary canon. So I decided to point out that the primary canon agrees with the opposite.

I certainly wouldn't argue that :)

This is sadly true... Fortunately, it isn't currently the best way to win...

True enough.

I certainly wouldn't argue that
Oh it absolutely does. I mean, there is only one power that a Sith uses in the Original Trilogy that you don't see a Jedi use as well. This suggests that both sides have access to roughly the same abilities. This then surely means that it's one's mindset and intent that defines whether one is a Lightsider or a Darksider, not the powers that you use to facilitate your intentions.

Yolk, there was no light or dark division in MotS. Merely a range of powers inspired by canon and JK respectively, which each player could choose a selection from.

It was leet.

Originally posted by Rumor:

ok kids a little history lesson:

MOTS = Masters of the Sith, the expansion pack for Dark Forces 2

thus it is a GAME not a movie.

"kids"? ;) Mysteries mate, mysteries. Not masters. And it may have been marketed as an expansion pack, but since it ran using an updated engine and did not use any JK resources, it was technically and to all intents and purposes, a standalone game. The only hard link it had to JK was that it checked the JK CD1, in order to tell whether you owned the game. Rather pointlessly, one thought, as that measure was easily circumvented.

Are you sure it wasn't a movie btw? I thought it was a movie. :nut:

Oh it absolutely does. I mean, there is only one power that a Sith uses in the Original Trilogy that you don't see a Jedi use as well. This suggests that both sides have access to roughly the same abilities. This then surely means that it's one's mindset and intent that defines whether one is a Lightsider or a Darksider, not the powers that you use to facilitate your intentions.

I was agreeing with you :) From this post, I get the impression you thought I wasn't. Maybe I'm just reading it wrong. :D

I second the MOTS system in which there are not force side exclusive powers. I do remember the game, I played it alot and I must say that it led to great fun since the range of possible enemies and force related strategies would difer immenselly.

Although it poses another question... right now thinking of JO, the force pwoers is what defines the force side... if the MOTS system was applyed how would you tell a light side from a dark side, or is there even a need for such a distinction?

Yolk, there was no light or dark division in MotS. Merely a range of powers inspired by canon and JK respectively, which each player could choose a selection from.

It was leet.

"kids"? ;) Mysteries mate, mysteries. Not masters. And it may have been marketed as an expansion pack, but since it ran using an updated engine and did not use any JK resources, it was technically and to all intents and purposes, a standalone game. The only hard link it had to JK was that it checked the JK CD1, in order to tell whether you owned the game. Rather pointlessly, one thought, as that measure was easily circumvented.

Are you sure it wasn't a movie btw? I thought it was a movie. :nut:

crap i wrote masters? feh i meant mysteries. oh well u kno what i meant lol...

yes spider al, you are a kid :p

MOTS had a class system:

*Jedi

*Soldier

*Bounty-Hunter

*Scout

I think this was all there was.

The Force powers were separated in tiered groups from the so called neutral force powers to the more powerfull defensive/offensive powers such as protect and destruction.

There were force allocation points much like JO but unlike it theywere not more expensive the higher the power..there was another kind of limitation: there were limits to the number of force power in each tier... the first tier had about 6 powers (Push, Pull, Seeing, etc) and you could chose up to 4 of the powers, the 2nd, 3rd, 4th and 5th(?) tier had 4 or powers to chose from each but you could only select 2 of them in each tier.

There was an un tiered hability called defense that costed twice the force points. The Bounty hunters had alot fo defense automatically which didnt allow them to choose any force powers... the rest besides the Jedi also had defense. A jedi could also pick defense which made them more resistant to damage but they had to sacrifice alot of force in return. Since each point allocated into defense closed access to a force tier from top down.

Well that pretty much describes the force system in MOTS.

If anything is unclear I'll be happy to clarify. :cool:

Originally posted by Prime:

I was agreeing with you :) From this post, I get the impression you thought I wasn't. Maybe I'm just reading it wrong. :D

Ahh yes, I think you missed a "with" out somewhere in your previous post. "I wouldn't argue that" can be construed as being opposite to "I wouldn't argue with that. TSK TSK! :p

Still, gave me an opportunity to jump right back on my soapbox and start yammering, so cheers mate! :D

Originally posted by BloodRiot:

if the MOTS system was applyed how would you tell a light side from a dark side, or is there even a need for such a distinction?

I don't think there is a need... After all, any player who wants to win an online game ends up using a standard set of powers, whatever side of the force those powers happen to be on. And for RPGers, the movie canon states that Sith and Jedi have access to the same abilities, so hey, everyone's happy with the MotS system. :)

Originally posted by Rumor:

yes spider al, you are a kid :p

It's a pleasant rarity to be called a kid at my age, I have to accost the elderly at knifepoint to illicit such a compliment usually. Many thanks.

Originally posted by HertogJan:

But it won't be there, since they said they were going to seperate light and dark side even more than in JO... And I haven't played MotS, so I don't know how it worked out online

They've said that about MP as well as SP? That's a damn shame. Still, never mind, we can mod it.

Question: when you have acces to all forcepowers, wouldn't they be exploited??

I can imagine absorb+lightning or something being overused, although the limited supply of mana would deal with lots of problems... I like the idea, gotta play MotS sometime soon :)

how can people think that the sith need a healing power aswell as the light?? if that is so then the light side needs lightning??? coz darkside healing?! :confused: someone doesn't know their starwars!!! :evanpiel: lol

the heal is a light side power only because of its tendency to do good. :D

the dark side get an absolutely ridiculas power.... and yes folks thats drain...... *shakes head*

I can imagine absorb+lightning or something being overused, although the limited supply of mana would deal with lots of problems...
As you say Hert, the mana consumption seemed to even everything out. One couldn't use too many powers simultaneously with a normal mana pool. It worked fairly well...

As you say Hert, the mana consumption seemed to even everything out. One couldn't use too many powers simultaneously with a normal mana pool. It worked fairly well...

OK :) Oh and if you want to abbreviate my name, I think 'HJ' would work best... Or maybe Hertog, but 'Hert' by itself means something totally different than my nickname...

BTW my nickname = Hertog Jan = Count/Duke Jan

Jan is a comman MALE name in the Netherlands ;)

Archived