Home

Underground, none Lucasarts approved Monkey Island Sequel...

Imagine if we could produce a 'new' MI3, continueing from the original MI1 and MI2...  

28 members have voted

1. 1. Imagine if we could produce a 'new' MI3, continueing from the original MI1 and MI2...

• This would be the best thing since sliced Kipper!
    • MI3 was better
    • MI4 was better
    • MI3 and MI4 were better

I realise that there has been a lot of Monkey Island related fan games which mostly were poor quality Klik and Play offerings, and were promptly crushed by the mighty Lucasarts....but....

.....how would you lot feel about a sequel, picking up from MI1 and MI2, in the same style, using mostly ripped graphics, programmed to a reasonable enough standard so that it would 'feel' pretty darn close to the original games.....an underground sequel, passed to fellow enthusiasts to simply enjoy, without profit or fame.

A lot of us yearn for a continuation of the first two games, respect to MI3 and MI4, but it would have been nice to see what would have happened had Lucasarts gradually upgraded the series with a nip here and a tuck there, rather than the radical change that was MI3.....

...living in the past....maybe.....the present is just too damn scary....<from the comfort of my padded cell>:)

I think that I'd rather Ron Gilbert get the rights to it and make his own version along with Tim Schafer and co.

But all you basically asking is would we like an MI3 where the graphics are basically similar to MI1 and 2 and my answer is yes.

Hi, I'm Michael. I'm new here.

Originally posted by RoyTordesLegend

.....how would you lot feel about a sequel, picking up from MI1 and MI2, in the same style, using mostly ripped graphics, programmed to a reasonable enough standard so that it would 'feel' pretty darn close to the original games.....an underground sequel, passed to fellow enthusiasts to simply enjoy, without profit or fame.

The programming aspect put aside - the great thing about MI besides the excellent artwork and music (wich you could reuse to some extent) have always been the dialogs and the story. Anyone can draw like Matt Groening, but that doesn't make anyones work as funny as his. The story is by far the hardest part.

So what we would get would be a maybe well coded, authentic looking MI fangame, wich would be cool, but the dialogs would probably feel as if some guys were trying to be funny rather than actually be funny.

But hey, if somebody decided to make one I would even donate a little bit.

Michael

PS: Anyone may be able to draw like Matt Groening but not like Steve Purcell. So unless you'd write a story that takes place at the same locations as MI1 or MI2 you'd be screwed without a really good artist who'd be able to imitate Steve Purcell's style.

Yeah, this thread was mostly a bit of daydreaming from me.

I'm already tried my hand at making an adventure, and found it to be heavy going - like you say the dialogue has to be funny, without trying too hard. MI4 feels as though its trying to hard to me like MI1 humour wise, and any fan made sequel would no doubt have the same problem.

I just frequently day dream about continueing on from MI2 in the old style.....sigh!

Originally posted by RayJones

.. MI 3 has already been made.. it is named CMI and its cool .. so.

ug sequel ok but .. not as MI3.

Well, what I mean is that, to me, MI 3 & 4 have never really felt like "real" Monkey Island games. I don't mind them, but they always felt like unofficial official sequels, if you know what on earth I mean.

hey c'mon .. CMI is worth to call it a real MIG. .. it has the storyplot .. it kind of shows wath is going on with big whoop after gubrush escaped from it after he got cursed there by LeChuck .. and finally you end up there again and get cursed again (lil child agian!) .. it's some sort of solution for the MI 2 mystique! .. so.

The story is perfect and fits to the MI-universe, the riddles are MI style! Graphics has changed.. but i would say they are well done and lovely. + smoooooooooth animated. (like butter in the sunshine.)

i agree with you EMI was in some ways no real MIG.

• 3 weeks later...
Originally posted by dayz

Hi, I'm Michael. I'm new here.

The programming aspect put aside - the great thing about MI besides the excellent artwork and music (wich you could reuse to some extent)

Up until Lucas Arts shuts you down, they're very hard on people using their work for your own personal use and even worse for having it distributed on the internet, free or not.

Why can't people be happy with what they've got? You wanted a sequel to MI2 but Ron had already left, so what were you expecting, LA came up with the best game they could without Ron and Tim and so on, it's a good game, live with it.

CMI is not any good at all. Everytime I think about bad and sucking things in this world, I think of CMI! Baaah, Gilbert should make the real tripler. I can't take anymore bad guesses and explinations from LucasArts, like the secret is Big Whoop, and Herman is Elaines grandfarther, I mean... this sh*t just sucks!

and seriously... Kipper isn't very good!

Now you can't really be sure that if Ron Made it, it would be any better than CMI, remember, he left it pretty closed at the end of MI2 despite his plans for a third game.

And as an MI game it doesn't quite measure up to 'Monkey island' standars, but then again, you can't measure everything up to those standards. As an adventure game it was bloody brilliant and not too many people could have done better.

Originally posted by FireCam (Jonas)

I've never heard anything that stupid in my entire life!

And this, folks, is what we call a flame! :D

No, seriously, I must disagree with you here. You CAN'T be sure it would be better. It might, and it might not. Personally, I don't think it would be BETTER, I just think a MI3 done by Ron Gilbert would appeal more to certain people, like you. As for me? I really don't know. I liked CMI and EMI just fine as they were.

My point? Different people have different preferences, and if they are not the same as yours, it doesn't mean they're stupid.

Naa thats just what we call idiocy and narrow-mindedness.

Show me some evidence that Ron has the entire game mapped out on paper somewhere and that his contribution to the first 2 games massively outweighed those of Tim and Dave to the point where their contributions were insignificant, then you might have some validity.

People need to distinguish between 'Ron' and 'the original MI1/2 team' when having this recurring arguement. If you think MI3 as done by MI1/2 team would be better than CMI then I can live with that. But if you think Ron's MI3 would be somehow superior then thats just foolish. Gilbert says he has a secret idea for his MI3, but how complete is it? Is it a complete plot, split into parts, or is it merely a general plot outline of the beginning, middle and end? I tend to think the latter. So if Gilbert did go and make his MI3 it would be with other people writing the jokes, doing the art, planning the plot.....just like CMI.

The only valid 'nostalgic fan MI3' would be one done by the MI1/2 team, Ron's MI3 just wouldnt cut it.

Right... So Ron probably dosen't have the whole story in his head, but does that matter at all? The game would be cool no matter what! I'm sure he would figure something cool out... How can you think he wouldn't!?!

Besides... he already has a few ideas!

Imagine Woody Allen making the 3rd Star Wars-, and 4th Indiana Jones movie instead of George Lucas... now would that suck? Or would it just suck?!?!!!!

Seeing that what I consider to be the best Star Wars movie (Empire Strikes Back) was neither written nor directed by George Lucas (he only wrote the story), it kinda goes to prove that theory wrong. Ron Gilbert's track-record outside of Monkey Island is so-so, and there are certainly no guarantees his MI3 would be great without the original team. Or it could be the best ever. Either way we'll never know.

Archived