Home

It's Official

Danyx

From Q3P0:

LucasArts has officially announced the Release Date as June 26th. You can read about it in this press release.

On behalf of the team, we are very grateful for the extra time both LucasArts and Sony Online Entertainment gave us (we were supposed to release on April 15th, if not before). Both companies showed a great deal of dedication to the project by changing the release date.

I’m going to be preemptive here and answer some potential questions.

quote:

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Why did you wait so long to tell us, especially when the retailers were quoting it?

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

First off, retailers have been quoting dates for as long as the product has been in development. Recently they’ve been converging on the true date because of discussions with the LucasArts sales team. I was not allowed to give you a date because we did not want to go through the pains of April 15th again. The North American release date was set at June 26th a little while back. However, if we got to the point where we felt we couldn’t release it due to new server stability issues or other unforeseen problems, the date would have changed again. This leads to the next question:

quote:

That’s 9 days from now. Do you think the game is ready?

I think it meets our bar, which as you know is stable, fun and competitive. The servers are fairly stable (we have some more fixes that we are confident we can get done in the next week). Despite pet issues, the majority of beta testers seem to be having a lot of fun playing the game. This last update fixed a ton of things; it also broke some things, but as you can see Holocron is getting those looked at immediately. Our feature list for release is extremely competitive with any MMO on the market. Sure there are some MMOs that might beat us out in one or two categories, but we’ve got far greater breadth of game play than most of them. Additionally we have an aggressive schedule for adding content after release (a full team).

quote:

So no open beta, huh?

There never was plans for an open beta. To help mitigate server load on day one of launch, we are limiting how many units go out into the retail channel. It would have done us no good if we let everybody who wanted in in during beta. Additionally, we have been having proper tests of galaxies under load. The only thing more people does is add more galaxies during beta.

quote:

Is the NDA lifted?

It will be within the next couple days. We just need to get our legal notices changed on the EULA on our Launchpad. We also want to give you a little time to absorb this news before letting you loose. We are going to keep the Beta forums closed because we are still using them to get information, but when we give the word, you’ll be able to share your stories and screenshots (though not early screenshots from beta, check the NDA).

quote:

Many of us said you should hold back the release, why didn’t you listen?

We did listen to you. We brought up your concerns in many meetings. In the end, the release date meets our three chief priorities listed above. We’re going to keep cracking away at this game after we launch to address other issues that you have and of course to get to work on things like player cities, vehicles, etc..

quote:

Nope, I’m not buying it. This game has potential, but it isn’t there yet in my opinion.

We understand your feelings and hope that you will join us at launch and continue to help give us feedback on the Test Center or we hope that you’ll come back to the product when you feel it does meets your bar.

quote:

I’m going to warn everyone not to buy it.

We still love you anyway. We really appreciate your help and your opinions throughout beta, and of course we realize that this game isn't for everyone. As much as possible the development team tried to treat everyone with respect and appreciation. I hope you can find it in you heart to return that favor.

quote:

I don’t care what those guys above say, I love it and will buy it!

Great! Spread the word… after we lift the NDA.

Ok, I’m sure I didn’t hit all of the questions. Go ahead. As always, please be adhere to community policies when posting.

-Kevin O'Hara

Community Relations Manager

wooooooooooooo!!!

Can't believe i was starting to doubt.

Now all i have to do is wait two weeks til i get back off holiday to play it. :( . Oh well, you guys best have some great stories when i get on, because as soon as i get back, boom! i'm gonna be learning stuff you did weeks before. Hope you guys can give us a hand when i get on. :D

LUCASARTS ANNOUNCES STAR WARS GALAXIESÔ: AN EMPIRE DIVIDEDÔ WILL RELEASE JUNE 26, 2003

Long Awaited Massively Multiplayer Online Star WarsÒ Game To Offer Four Subscription Plan Options

SAN RAFAEL, Calif. and SAN DIEGO – June 16, 2003 – LucasArts and Sony Online Entertainment Inc. today announced Star Wars Galaxies: An Empire Divided, the highly anticipated initial installment of the first Star Wars massively multiplayer online (MMO) game series, will release June 26, 2003. The Star Wars Galaxies: An Empire Divided online fan community now exceeds more than 500,000 registered members.

At launch Star Wars Galaxies: An Empire Divided will offer four subscription plan options: Month-to-month - $14.99; three months - $14.00 per month; six months - $13.00 per month; and 12 months - $12.00 per month. By subscribing to any of the latter three plans, players can expect savings of up to 20 percent over the month-to-month rate. Star Wars Galaxies: An Empire Divided has a suggested retail price of $49.95, and includes a 30-day subscription to the game. A special collector’s edition, which includes a book of game-related art, in-game wearables, pewter figurine, lapel pin and patch, and a signed manual, will be available for a suggested retail price of $79.95

A friend posted this on another forum. I'm not sure where he got it...

Archived