Home

system running SWG,what would make it better?

chanman338

Was thinking of building a new machine with xp2600 or xp2700 and overclocking it. Radeon 9700 pro overclocked w/ zalman hp80A vga heatsink, and 1024mb of pc2700 or pc3200 DDR ram. If I were to choose one of the three, what would help me get the more performance out of running SWG: more than 1024mb of ram, better video card, or faster processor? Thank you!

Eerrr, with that kind of stats, I'm pretty sure you can run the game like you use a hot knife to cut butter either way. :D

Oh, and:

[align=center]Welcome to the

SWGalaxies.Net Forums!!![/align] :)

I'm Jan Gaarni, XO of the Official Welcomming Committee and Moderator of this place.

The 2 other Moderators here are Wraith 8 and Darth_Sidious.

Be sure to check out the Read This First thread at the top of this forum, as it contains some guidelines on how to behave, if you haven't all ready. :)

Most here are friendly and the aggression level is far from what you will find in the Official SWG Boards, so I'm sure you will like it here.

Please feel free to stay as long as you want. :)

And have some chocolate covered gnorts. :D Complementary Juztyn, the Admin of these boards and SWGalaxies.Net. :p

!ATTENTION! These are chocolate gnorts, not real gnorts! :D

Also be sure to check out the SWGalaxies.Net site which is connected to these forums. :)

We hope you enjoy your stay here on the SWGalaxies.Net Forums. :)

It would help if I knew what the other stats would be if you didn't get the premium choice. The 9700 can be swapped out for a 9500 and that will cut that in half right there. The processor is looking about right, and I'd suggest more than 512MB of RAM.

MY PC:

1.5GHz P4

640MB RDRAM PC800

Radeon 9500 PRO 128MB (Modded into 9700)

It doesn't matter how nasty your PC is, you are not going to be able to turn the graphics all the way up.

What kind of connection are you running? Cable or better runs best, but if your PC is good enough 56k will cut it.

My cpu:

1800+ Thoroughbred 1.5mhz

512 DDR PC 2700 RAM

Gf4 Ti4200 64mb DDR

I ran the game farely well, never really had any problems at all running the game. I know a buddy of mine who purchased at GeForce FX and was having some major problems, but I think it was because he didn't install the latest drivers.

since u are building a new one and are going for the amd xp 2600 and up series...

i suggest u get a p4 2.4ghz or faster with an 800mhz front side bus.

the athlon bus is only 333mhz at most (u can overclock it more...but u would need vapochill or other extreme cooling solution)

my friend has overclocked his ahtlon xp 2700 to a 533mhz bus.

he uses vapochill, so he doesnt have any problems with heat and oc damage.

but the 800mhz fsb gives u a BIGGER bottleneck to work within.

as for ram...anything over 512mb is great, your load times will decrease drastically. i say just get 512 at first, then later get another 512 when u get more money.

as per the video card...

9600 = baby 9800

9500 = baby 9700

i say go with the 9600, because u can easily overclock the .13 micron process with great success.

but if u have the money...i say go for the $500 dollar 9800 pro (256mb edition)

i myself have the radeon 9700 pro (not overclocked, but i put some cool aluminum heatsinks on it...just for looks) and 768mb of pc 3200 ram, running with an athlon xp 2200 (1.8ghz) cpu.

i can take all of the new games...i just want to get ready for half life 2...so maybe i'll go 800mhz fsb in the future...(too bad that wasnt available when i made this computer)

mmmm...I need a new sound card...got a really crapped out one on this rig...well I'd like one anyway...but since I'm going to be grabbing a new alienware by the end of the year I'll just wait and only upgrade if I have to. This rig runs BF1942 without any hiccups at pretty high settings so I shouldn't have to worry TOO much...although processor speed has me somewhat worried (Pent 4 1.5 GHz). Hopefully the 1 Gig of RAM and Rad 9500 (128MB) will keep me above the waterline of eye candy though.

Dang I can't wait for this game...6 more days! :o

I just put this system together today and i'm really interested in seeing how it handles SWG...

p4 2.8ghz with 800mhz FSB

Radeon 9700 pro

512mb pc3200 RAM (in dual ddr configuration)

Audigy 2 sound card

And the new monitor (19" NEC FP912sb) and speakers (Cambridge Megaworks THX 550) should get here next week. Woohoo!! :D

Originally posted by Devlyyn Sarr

I just put this system together today and i'm really interested in seeing how it handles SWG...

p4 2.8ghz with 800mhz FSB

Radeon 9700 pro

512mb pc3200 RAM (in dual ddr configuration)

Audigy 2 sound card

And the new monitor (19" NEC FP912sb) and speakers (Cambridge Megaworks THX 550) should get here next week. Woohoo!! :D

If you have any problems, then we're all screwed...

damn devlyyn those THX speakers are gonna tear up your neighborhood. LOL

so loud

audigy 2 is such a great soundcard.

not too much of an upgrade from the audigy...but what are u gonna do.

well my audigy doesnt play well in my computer so i took it out and am running on ONBOARD sound.....LOL

at least it supports 6.1 speakers.

What I need is a sound card with enough memory to run SWG and teamspeak. Any suggestions? I have a SoundMAX Digital card, but I can't find any specs on it. I have no clue when it comes to sound guys. Any suggestions on something cheap. Any beta testers using this?

BTW, fergie, if your PC has any problems, well...that just wouldn't make sense, because I run it fine with almost the same setup and a little less RAM. I'm assuming we're both running either RDRAM or DDR of course.

Well, when it comes to sound, I'm going with what I concider the best, and at the moment that is the THX approved (only one in the world) Creative Labs Sound Blaster Audigy 2 card.

For speakers I bought the matching Creative Labs Inspire 6.1 6700 speakerset.

The soundcard wasn't all that expensive either in my opinion, only about 186$, or 160€ (with the current currency xchange) back in January.

Have no idea how much it costs now, but I can't imagine it costing any more than that 6 months later. :D

And fergie, the beauty with a good, powerfull AGP based grafics card with a good amount of memory on it, is that most of the geometrical calculations will be done by the card itself, leaving your CPU to deal with such things as AI and other easy tasks, cause quite frankly it isn't built to do those number crunching in the first place. ;)

I'd say get the Rad 9500pro, dont go for the 9600, it's suprisingly slower than the 9500. Weird eh? Wait until the new AMD 64 clawhammers come out to see a price drop on the old 32 Athlons, save yourself some money (if you're willing to wait). If your thinking of overclocking your CPU get the new Epox 8RDA+ board, bloody stunning. Then bang 2x 256 PC3200's in there.

Archived