Home

Aye, best not to prolong a tiresome death!

Mr.Burger

To Whom it May Concern:

Why drag out a tiresome death such as the one that Monkey Island is suffering?

LucasArts is butchering the series now. I say they let it rest in peace. I loved this series with all of my soul, but I hate to see it get humiliated and altered so, as it is by the company that owns it now.

Unless Ron Gilbert decides to get off his fat (but lovable) behind and buy back the rights to Guybrush and crew, I would be disappointed to see them puke out yet another pile of Monkey Island excrement's excrement.

:(

This was a rather graphic post... but it came from the heart.

Let Monkey Island be over. Let the legacy live eternally in honor, not in embarassment!

Much love,

Burgerboy

:)

I agree with all of my heart. I'm sure to get massacred for this, but I have a tendency to think the last 2 Monkey Islands weren't up to scratch. After saying this, I would like to reply that they need not put it out right now, and sacrifice quality. With a nudge from many thousands of people on this subject, perhaps Sir. Ronald will buy back these rights and give Guybrush a glorious ending. Ideas for MI5 need not be discussed here, them being discussed elsewhere, but I would like to say that IF they had to put out another MI some time soon, to steer from the poor quality ideas, match the new ideas up with a seldom heard of game..."The Secret of Monkey Island."

To say this quick and easy, if MI5 keeps on the path of the last 2 games, I would be greatly dissapointed. If there is no other way around, putting it out quick and getting this over with would be the path I wish they would take.

Though, if they really want to go ahead and make 6 more brilliant games, please PLEASE do so.

To assume that Gilbert buying back the rights and making a new MI would make things better is just wishful thinking. Gilbert wasnt the only person responsible for mi1+2, Schafer and Grossman were too. You cant attribute all the jokes, dialogue, characters or even plot to Gilbert so any new MI made by him wouldnt be like MI1 or 2 and would probably be worse than them. Who knows if it was Gilbert or just some playtester who said 'lets make the monkey head key an ear-bud?' The point is Gilbert can (and does) get too much credit and certainly isnt the 'saviour' that some people paint him as.

Ok, Yes, I'll have to say you've got the truth there. Quite obviously, Ron Gilbert could have not come up with all of those jokes. There is one thing missing in the plan though: whoever thought up the brilliant jokes and plot to MI1 and MI2 is quite obviously gone(likely), or is greatly lacking in ideas recently. I would say that, if maintaining the crew that they have used to make the last 2 games, I would not like them to make us wait for years before tossing out another adventure-less, poor humored(compared to SOMI and LCR) game. Give it to us now, and lets close up the series(if we have to) and not draw out it's death.

Originally posted by Neil Joshi

At least let them redeem themselves with mi5, and if they can't do that, then bugger em all, but if they're gonna die, let em go out with a bang.

I agree. But what'd appeal more to me than a sequel is a spin-off. I'm tired of the same old story. I think the MI universe could use some fresh characters. maybe it's just me.

Originally posted by ErnilPherianath

With a nudge from many thousands of people on this subject, perhaps Sir. Ronald will buy back these rights and give Guybrush a glorious ending. Ideas for MI5 need not be discussed here, them being discussed elsewhere, but I would like to say that IF they had to put out another MI some time soon, to steer from the poor quality ideas, match the new ideas up with a seldom heard of game..."The Secret of Monkey Island."

To say this quick and easy, if MI5 keeps on the path of the last 2 games, I would be greatly dissapointed. If there is no other way around, putting it out quick and getting this over with would be the path I wish they would take.

I agree with you, man. I mean i actualy would WANT the bad graphics of the first two games if they made it! And without voices! Its just not the same anymore. I just wanna play what i had hoped monkey island 3 and 4 to be.:(

Originally posted by Mr.Burger

To Whom it May Concern:

Why drag out a tiresome death such as the one that Monkey Island is suffering?

LucasArts is butchering the series now. I say they let it rest in peace. I loved this series with all of my soul, but I hate to see it get humiliated and altered so, as it is by the company that owns it now.

Unless Ron Gilbert decides to get off his fat (but lovable) behind and buy back the rights to Guybrush and crew, I would be disappointed to see them puke out yet another pile of Monkey Island excrement's excrement.

:(

This was a rather graphic post... but it came from the heart.

Let Monkey Island be over. Let the legacy live eternally in honor, not in embarassment!

Much love,

Burgerboy

:)

You registered to a Monkey Island Forum just to say that we should kill the series now. A new game will be made, I want a new game to be made, the last 4 games were all good, the storyline is fine, I see no problem :)

Bring on Monkey Island 5!

To whom it may concern:

Ernil - Hey, I like what you have to say so far. You posted respectfully, which I appreciate, and you also had a lot to say that made me want to rethink what I said.

To the guy who posted right after him and said Ron was getting too much credit... Ron could not have possibly come up with EVERY single joke in the game, but he did come up with many of them as he mentions in his numerous interviews that can be found at various sites around the internet. He left the company, as did a few others who worked on the original two, and I noticed. The third and fourth games are not bad at all (still much better than many games I've ever played) but they use many over-exercised jokes and I found myself sometimes unmotivated in the games to complete the things I was asked to accomplish, much unlike my experience with the first two games.

As for mymipage, who quoted my whole post and said I signed on just to say "KILL MONKEY ISLAND NOW"... you're pretty close to right... but not a hundred percent there. Also I found you sounding a little disprespectful, and I'll get back to that.

But let me agree with the guy who said "Let it end in a bang" and change what I said about not doing making the fifth at all. I now believe that, if LucasArts really thinks they have a fine piece of gaming on the drawing board, they ought to go right ahead and toss it out. If it is not up to par with the others (and I believe I've noticed a decreasing "up to par-ness" as the series has trudged onward since Ron's exit from LucasArts) then they will probably release it anyway because the ratio of people who want it out to the people who don't (i.e. Everyone on this site versus me and maybe a handful of others) and also it'd probably get in a good few bucks now that the series is pretty well-known.

And as for mymipage again, who quoted my post, I LOVE Monkey Island (I grew up with it. It's like a brother to me.) and when I say "let Monkey Island die" I, in absolutely no fricking manner, mean it offensively. Appreciate my opinion, don't bash it. Respond responsibly, too. Just because I'm new to these forums doesn't have anything to do with how much respect my opinion deserves or doesn't deserve and nor does it have anything to do with how much I know about this series.

This post, like the first, came from the the heart. The rather aggrivated responses to your posts ought to be understandable to you fellow forum-members, as my view has been pretty bashed thus far. You don't honor mine responsibly I won't honor yours.

Much love,

Burgerboy

Originally posted by Mr.Burger

To whom it may concern:

As for whoever quoted my whole post and said I signed on just to say "KILL MONKEY ISLAND NOW"... you're pretty close to right... but not a hundred percent there. Also I found you sounding a little disprespectful. I LOVE Monkey Island (I grew up with it. It's like a brother to me.) and when I say "let Monkey Island die" I, in absolutely no fricking manner, mean it offensively. Appreciate my opinion, don't bash it. Respond responsibly, too. Just because I'm new to these forums doesn't have anything to do with how much respect my opinion deserves or doesn't deserve and nor does it have anything to do with how much I know about this series.

This post, like the first, came from the the heart. The rather aggrivated responses to your posts ought to be understandable to you fellow forum-members, as my view has been pretty bashed thus far. You don't honor mine responsibly I won't honor yours.

Much love,

Burgerboy

Whoever = mymipage and I'm not being disprespectful to you and I don't dispute how much you know about the series. I'm just saying - the last four games were good, the fifth will be too and I'm also trying to make the point that if Ron Gilbert made MI5 it wouldn't solve anything and just because Ron isn't going to make it doesn't mean that it is going to be a failure and the whole series should die.

Yes, of course we all think that the last four games were good. In my opinion, though, the last two games were not as high of quality as the first two. To see where this post comes from, you must share; or at least recognise this opinion. I think that saying that MI5 would be no better if Ron Gilbert and MI1/2 crew were around would be like saying that they really havent contributed much to the games they made. And in my great opinion, the games have gone downhill since he left. From making that opinion, I think that it COULD and WOULD make a great difference if he aided MI5. To say he wouldn't at all would be taking into consideration nothing that I have stated. That is not the topic we are on, though. Also, MI4 was considerabley worse (yet still, I must add, a great game) than MI3 (my opinion), so, as Mr.Burger stated, Gilbert not even considered, I wish MI5 would just come out now, and inevitabley not live up to my expectations.

ps. personally, ill have to agree with you on one point. I dont think that Gilbert could solve the problem that MI4 has created for the game. It changed so much that I had taken to heart, and twisted it around so brutally, that it seems unchangeable.

Although I guess I can't argue anything more than it is only my opinion, as one person might still find "Why did the Chicken cross the road?" funny and I may not it is their opinion and not my duty or my right to change it although I can express my view.

The joke "Why did the chicken cross the road?" is no longer funny because:

1. It has been so often used just for its idea that it is less than funny; it is almost aggrivating.

2. The joke itself is somewhat clever; whoever wrote it must have been very witty. This doesn't mean it should be done over and over and over. I've seen stand up that is much funnier than this joke. Why is it a classic while HILARIOUS comedians get no eternal recognition or reuse of their jokes?

3. I'm done dissing this joke. It's not even necessary.

Why did I just explain my opinion on that joke? It goes to show that some jokes just aren't as funny as other jokes and also there are many jokes that shouldn't be done anymore because of their overuse. While I find myself laughing at some of the situations that occur on the TV show F*R*I*E*N*D*S it's the one-liners that Chandler pops out or the stupid things that happen to Rachel that hit the hardest. I find that Monkey Island 1 and 2 used many of these out-of-nowhere jokes that fit in with the theme of the game but were still completely novel (and obviously histerical - such as the classic rubber chicken with the pulley in the middle or any of the one-liner-insults in Insult Sword Fighting.) When Monkey Island 2 made a few funny references to Monkey Island 1 it was hilarious. When Monkey Island 3 did it it was not as hilarious for the obvious reason that the joke had been done. In Monkey Island 4 I didn't even find myself laughing very often. Sure the Lucre Island play on our current society (Planet Threepwood, Starbuccaneers, etc.) was funny but we've seen it before, folks. It's not laugh-out-loud humor anymore, which is what I really got out of the first two Monkey Islands.

Now that there are huge teams in charge of everything in Monkey Island, including script, you don't see just one or two people tossing in most of the comedy (like Ron Gilbert who put in many jokes and gave Monkey Island its original and recognizable sense of humor) and instead you have many people inputting jokes. This makes for a game with less character than its predecessors.

You guys say "All four games were good." What a jaw-dropper. This kind of argument makes me want to give up altogether and walk away feeling like I just argued with myself (which isn't supposed to be what happens). Instead of taking huge quotes of mine and saying "nope that's not right" try producing your own arguments! Make me think, don't just tell me what I said was incorrect or mean. I beg of you. I love to debate and learn, and in my spare time I like long walks in the park, the color green, and the smell of blueberry muffins and french toast.

Another post from the heart.

Much love,

Burgerboy

Well, firstly, i had played Secret of Monkey Island™ on the Amiga 500, not long after it's release, and have only recently seen LeChuck's Revenge in a bargain bin, and have not yet played either of the second 2 sequels, so i am not an authority on how good/bad or similar/different they are to the orignal and the second. I can well see how the loss of several of the original team who developed the first 2 in the series could effect the style of the following 2, i will no doubt see for myself soon, as i will get them at the first opportunity.

I also believe that if, and i am sure they will, the production team responsible for making the 5th (if it is indeed being made) will be reading these posts, and taking into consideration what their prospective buyers feel about the path the 3rd and 4th episodes took, and will try to make the game as enjoyable for us all as is possible. I am also sure that Ron Gilbert had his reasons for parting company with Lucas Arts, as did the other members who worked on the 1st and 2nd stories, and we must respect those decisions.

What i cannot understand though is the need for confrontational arguements over what i have seen as civilised debates. Certainly as the reasoning behind them seems a little shady to me, not being one who feels the need to post an entire message to make my point, i will simply raise the issues i have seen with points made, they are as follows :

1) Mr. Burger - I hardly see that in any way mymipage was disrespectful in his 1st response to your thread, he was merely showing the point that you had only recently joined the Message Board, and starting a thread entiltled "Aye, best not to prolong a tiresome death!" And having read your post, i can see where you are coming from, for you the Monkey Island Series may have gone downhill for you, but for someone asked for posts honored, you seemed to do a pretty ood job of taking every difference of your opinion as an insult, rather then what it was, someone elses opinion. (ps - i am not slating you, just as you suggested, trying to make you think - pps - aslo, do remember, these are just games, not a sibling - ppps - that was just a joke, just trying to lighten the mood a little :p

2) mymipage - I aso agree with your point about Ron Gilbert coming back would not solve anything, but again, i fear you may not have understood the point being made, that in Mr. Burger's eyes, the loss of the creative input of several of the original team has drastically changed the direction/style of the game for some people, and that if some of them were to return, it would bring some of the spark that the added to it back, which is why some Monkey Island™ enthusiasts would very much like to see them return. Aslo, why do you need to repost/quote someone elses post, especially where there is no need for it, it just creates more reading for people, when it serves no purpose, why not simply highlight the point you wish to contest/add too? ps - again, this is not a personal attack on you, just trying to save others and myself further unneccessary reading.

I have to say, i am quite taken back by the overwhelming support for this game, i never thought it would provoke this much addmiration and emotion form so many people, it is one of the most unique games i have ever played, and i hope my children enjoy it as much as i did, as i feel it has a timeless humor about it. Oh and as for Mr. Burgers comment about the re-used jokes, personally i was upset that there was not a good ol' cuss down sword fight in the second chapter, and if there is one in the 3rd, it will make the game better for me, i will no doubt repost my feelings about the 3rd and 4th shortly:D

Finally, i don't know, why did the chicken cross the road? I have never heard that one before?

Having just re-read my own post, i have realised it it sort of confrontational, this was not my intention, i was merely trying to get the discussion back onto the tracks of Monkey Island rather then everyone just arguing eachothers opinions, which is pretty much what i did, and for that, i appolgise. Also, after moaning about message length, mine was quite big, ooh, that sounded a little rude (if it were meant that way, it would have been a lie, i mean QUITE big is such an understatement:D )

Hopefully my odd sense of humor has brought a chuckle to some of your hearts, failing that, a slight grin would suffice.

Mr. Burger, you like to debate eh? Well i am the Master Debator, so bring it on, it'll get messy though! :p:ewok::jawa

Archived