Home

For those with hardware issues

toolfan

What kind of internet connection do you have? No one ever says what internet they have...If you have a slow internet then... no matter how fast your computer is Galaxies will be slow. DSL or something that fast is needed. I'm not sure whice one is RAM, but 256RAm will be very slow. I know i had that before. When I got 512RAM Galaxies was running smoothly all the time. I'm not sure with video cards because i don't know what mine is.

So for all people getting Galaxies you need:

- fast internet (don't have that... then your screwed)

- 512RAM (if you go in large cities all the time.)

-2Gigabytes of memory

-I'm not sure about video cards

-1.7GHz will work for prosessor

You need all of these don't get 1Gigabyte of RAM and have a slow internet. Remember this is an ONLINE game.

• Replies 130
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
Originally posted by -=ReApEr=-

I would suggest Geforces for anyone looking to get new cards, and you can't go wrong with the 128mb range. :D

I have a GeForce4 Ti4600 and really happy with it..

But to get a bit more out of it i recomend OC!

-Anyway, i would say to all you looking for new

cards, go for ATI! anything above 9700!

and if you have the money buy the 9800XT!

then you wont need to upgrade for many years!

remember that OC may be the easy way out of lag!

need any help send me a mail, i do OC of CPU, GPU, RAM..

good gaming, and good preformance! may the

force of hardware be with you! :jawa

Originally posted by silversvt26

I have an ATI RADEON 9600 xt for 1 month and have had no problem at all running SWG? Maby I am the exception but I have had no problem "knock on wood".

sorry forgot, the 9600XT is good as well, but

dont buy the other 9600 - remember that you

should buy one of the XT cards!

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Hello there...

Well what a game in starwars history this is. How could anyone pas sup the chance to actually live out there fanatsy life in a starwars universe...Not I by jove.

Having said this, I have brought a second hand starwars galaxies, sold by a poor player with a PC that doesn't match SWG's requirements. The pric BTW was 14.95 from amazon.co.uk.

This brings me to my first question...

This is second hand, he claims to have not played long, does this mean i have lost out on the chance of free trail? I guess this game has a product key of some sort? If I am wrong please let me know wont you.

Next question...

Heres the predictable question, the old "will the game run on my old piece of junk", kessil run times high or not. (devote starwars fan joke).

I am currently running...

amd athlon 1.2 (poor I know btu the amd is a gaming chip which goes well with the radeon family might I add due to the 3D now option!)

Radeon 9800 pro 128 mem (saphire atlantis, I very fine card if I say so myself)..with latest 4.2 catalist drivers.

512DDR..could be SDR ram.

I have the via 4 in 1 chip set (latest drivers).

and around 55 gigs worth of space (two hard drives a 40 and a 16 ((16 slave)) ).

I have a 52 read cd drive.

a soundblaster live 5.1 platinum card (old now but runs good).

And a bloody big fan blowing cool air into the side of my open tower drive (better for air circulation)..open as in one side off..um facing the fan oif course.

With all this I have memory boost which I use to rid my pc of all unused background processes I get my syetm resources to around 95 % system free, knowing full well not to start up internet browser before a game playing session (you know as soon as you go on the net (browsing etc) you should reboot before playing, as the memory you loose won;t be given back even after you shut your browser back down!!!.).

And i'm running on win98 with an NTL 1meg broadband connection.

So my dear fellows, what say tee on my chances preytell, of a smooth run for this 'ere game?

Last question...can you be a mosture farmer, or any type of farmer for that matter,

I have a bezare fantasy of earning my way as a farmer by day, bountyhunter by night for quite a time, untill I open a rather large night club,

filled to the brim with twi lek lap dancers and the like, quality high level musicians, and high level chef's (now they seem to have made that profession interesing)...

I was thinking of building the club perhaps on tatooine, and calling it stillenacht (silent night for the non german speaking)...this is where my player name comes from, Styler Naku...

Anyway if I can do this let me know, if your interested in joining a bounty hunter biker..sorry swoop gang (stillenacht gang...using that name again)..let me know, or even if you fancy plaing a gig in my club, or a cheff looking for work. Let me know

LAst question...(i'll be gone soon promise)..can you get a one shot kill (*headshot) with some sort of sniper rifle being a marksman. A shame if you can't. Even starwars has it's sniper weapons (the nightstinger for example), shame if there not in the game. I fancy doing a few hitman esqe jobs in the star wars world (a bit like that bountyhunter shape changer working for jango in clone wars 2..seen the cartoon network episodes by the way, there rather gooD!!!).

Well Let me know if you can. and who you know is selling the weapon that may fit the bill ( on the ebay like starwars trade thingyma bob).

Well I'll stop my rant now, all this and I havent even got the game yet.

I'll be using the name Styler Naku on the european server (farstar I think it's called) so say hello if you see me won't you hmm.

:D Styler Naku out:fett:

Guest DarthMaulUK
Originally posted by Styler Naku

This brings me to my first question...

This is second hand, he claims to have not played long, does this mean i have lost out on the chance of free trail? I guess this game has a product key of some sort? If I am wrong please let me know wont you.

If he hasnt played it - then you should still have the free trial.

Next question...

I am currently running...

amd athlon 1.2 (poor I know btu the amd is a gaming chip which goes well with the radeon family might I add due to the 3D now option!)

Radeon 9800 pro 128 mem (saphire atlantis, I very fine card if I say so myself)..with latest 4.2 catalist drivers.

512DDR..could be SDR ram.

I have the via 4 in 1 chip set (latest drivers).

and around 55 gigs worth of space (two hard drives a 40 and a 16 ((16 slave)) ).

I have a 52 read cd drive.

a soundblaster live 5.1 platinum card (old now but runs good).

And a bloody big fan blowing cool air into the side of my open tower drive (better for air circulation)..open as in one side off..um facing the fan oif course.

With all this I have memory boost which I use to rid my pc of all unused background processes I get my syetm resources to around 95 % system free, knowing full well not to start up internet browser before a game playing session (you know as soon as you go on the net (browsing etc) you should reboot before playing, as the memory you loose won;t be given back even after you shut your browser back down!!!.).

Nothing wrong with AMDs - superb chips and ATi has taken the lead in card sales over Nvidia. Saying the game will run fine is a hit and miss affair. I had nothing but grief with mine and after testing the game on a dozen PCs, I found it to run best on the lowest spec PC! The game will lag, frame rates will drop and it will chug in places - nothing you can do about that.

Just make sure everything in the background is turned off (ie screensavers, anti virus etc) to help as the game does demand alot of resources. Also, you can scale your graphic options in game. Galaxies has a good interface, so doing this isnt hard.

DMUK

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...
Guest DarthMaulUK

Both Nvidia and ATi have launched latest driver updates. Please check their websites for your relevant update

http://www.nvidia.com

http://www.ati.com

Always remove the old drivers first before installing the new ones. (Most of you might have these new drivers as they have been out a month or 2)

DMUK

I have a computer with:

- 256mb DDR Ram

- Intel Pentium 4 processor, 2.0GHz

- A real crappy 32mb ATI Rage 128 Pro Ultra

I'm not sure if Star Wars Galaxies will actually work with my computer, I did get a new video card (a 128mb Radeon 9200), but God damn Dell put a crappy AGP outlet in my computer, and I couldn't install my new video card. Would SWG work on my computer, if not, what video could I get with an AGP of 4x?

Guest DarthMaulUK

I dont think that the ATi Pro supports Hardware Transform and Lighting. Its a requirement on the game.

Wait until you can fully upgrade, or download the free trial to see if it will run

DMUK

• 2 weeks later...
Having said this, I have brought a second hand starwars galaxies, sold by a poor player with a PC that doesn't match SWG's requirements. The pric BTW was 14.95 from amazon.co.uk.

Um, if he has used it, and logged on and opened an account with that serial number, you cant play that version of SWG unless he has given you his SOE details. Has he?

Also, i think the Gfx card prices have changed loads, but ive just found quite a few extremely cheap ones, try here:

Overclockers UK - Gfx card section

That will take you to some Gfx cards.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi there. I've had the game for a couple of days, but it runs terribly on my PC. I have a p4 2.4, 256mb ram, and a GeForce FX5200 128mb. The game is unplayably choppy right from the off. I can't even walk across a section of town without huge pauses in the action.

I know I'm only on the required ram amount, but surely it can't make the game so bad? I have tried turning off every high detail option and it basically has no effect, and I have the latest drivers installed.

I'm really puzzled, and I'm worried that I just won't be able to play the game.

Guest DarthMaulUK

Having 256 ram is a major problem. Especially when you add in the Lag effect of Galaxies.

I have 1.1gig ram and my computer slows to a crawl when in Coronet for example. Lag has become really bad of late. Im on a European server to make it less laggy, but there seems to be more than on the US servers and i connect from the UK!

Ram is pretty cheap currently and it might be worth asking Santa Claus for an early gift ;-)

DMUK

Guest DarthMaulUK

Indeed.

Windows XP uses alot of RAM just running. So your system is reduced alot already. Also, how many icons do you have open where the clock is on your PC? (bottom right)

For everyone open, its a running program - again taking away from your overall RAM.

DMUK

• 2 weeks later...

hi i've order SWg and i was wondering what kinda lag i'm gonna get. I'm on dial-up(ug high speed ain't available here) and internet speed test put my connection between 41-44kb/sec.

computer specs:

2.5 AMD

256 RAM

Radeon 9600XT Video Card

a decent mother board

i plan on putting the graphics down and being a scout away from lager cities, what do you think it will be like?

from reading other post my computer looks like its gonn abe fine but the dial-up is my real hang up...

Guest DarthMaulUK

You will experience lag. You cant keep out of cities forever as you need to sell resources you pick up and buy stuff.

Player cities seem to have the highest lag for no reason with frame rates dropping to 1fps (frame per second)

DMUK

what kinda lag do you suspect, totally brutal....

and whats a good east coast server, that seems to be less laggy than others. and would starting on a planet like talus(which is not as populated help my lag a little?)

Guest DarthMaulUK

It really wont make much of a difference. Galaxies is plagued by lag throughout. From simple loading objects to exiting a building whilst the door opens causes lag.

Even running can cause the frame rate to drop. And it has gotten alot worse lately.

If you live in the USA try and use a server thats closer to you, to help alittle - but you will hardly notice the difference. If you live in the UK, any European server is ok, as they are based in Holland

DMUK

• 2 weeks later...

Archived