Home

For those with hardware issues

toolfan

Thanks for the info toolfan, pretty handy, but im still coming up with crashing problems even though my hardware and drivers are all up to date.

Here's my spec if anybody can help me out with where ive gone wrong:

Cpu Vendor: AuthenticAMD (Sempron) 2600+

Cpu Speed: 1607 Mhz

Physical Memory Size: 1023 MB DDR

Video Description: NVIDIA GeForce FX 5200

Video Driver Version: 93.71

Video Memory Size: 246 MB DDR

Vertex Shader Version: 2.0

Pixel Shader Version: 2.0

DirectX Version: 9.0c

Operating System: Windows XP Service Pack 1

The graphics card and mobo chipsets are watercooled and the GPU never goes over 36'C even when flat out playing MOH on full graphics settings. The DDR chips have their own ramsinks on both the GPU and RAM cards so heat isn't really an issue.

It's strange that the game loads up and runs pretty quickly and smoothly for about 10mins until the whole pc just freezes up and crashes. I'm running more resource-hungry games at higher settings without a problem, this is the only game that does cause a fuss.

has anybody else had this problem or an idea of what is going on?

• Replies 130
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guest DarthMaulUK

You need to update your windows to service pack 2. Also, make sure that you turn down the graphics in the game.

I had this problem at launch and it was a bug with the game, which they fixed 12 months later.Galaxies is demanding, so make sur you have turned off any icons by the clock that you dont use to free up memory

Thanks for the info toolfan, pretty handy, but im still coming up with crashing problems even though my hardware and drivers are all up to date.

Here's my spec if anybody can help me out with where ive gone wrong:

Cpu Vendor: AuthenticAMD (Sempron) 2600+

Cpu Speed: 1607 Mhz

Physical Memory Size: 1023 MB DDR

Video Description: NVIDIA GeForce FX 5200

Video Driver Version: 93.71

Video Memory Size: 246 MB DDR

Vertex Shader Version: 2.0

Pixel Shader Version: 2.0

DirectX Version: 9.0c

Operating System: Windows XP Service Pack 1

The graphics card and mobo chipsets are watercooled and the GPU never goes over 36'C even when flat out playing MOH on full graphics settings. The DDR chips have their own ramsinks on both the GPU and RAM cards so heat isn't really an issue.

It's strange that the game loads up and runs pretty quickly and smoothly for about 10mins until the whole pc just freezes up and crashes. I'm running more resource-hungry games at higher settings without a problem, this is the only game that does cause a fuss.

has anybody else had this problem or an idea of what is going on?

Welcome to the world of bad resource management, if you play for extended periods of time with a pretty good pc it starts to lag pretty bad as well. SWG seems to be pretty bad at memory management :(

well i've knocked all the graphic settings down to their min. level (including all the debugging options) and so far i can play it for roughly 30-40 mins before it crashes. strange that it can play in the piloting / flight mode all day without problems, though when i land at a spaceport somewhere the 30 mins counter starts ticking again.

as you guys said, bad memory management it looks like, although im saving up for a new graphics card + 2Gb DDR system ram upgrade to help things along.

one thing i did try was have a memory + system manager keep a log file on a 1 min counter when i was running the game. although i had a few mb's of system memory left while it was running and loads of page file space, the rest of the system didn't really have a problem playing it until the moment it crashed (when the GPU core went up to 30'C from a normal 29'C, which is the same temperature as it is when not playing the game)

Archived