Home

For those with hardware issues

toolfan

My freind has bought the game and the graphics card is fine, but when it goes to detect his processing speed it comes up as 0 which is no doubt incorrect. He is has the necessary processor but for some reason it cant be found, any ideas? Also it says have the needed memory which I dont doubt considering the amount of stuff he has on his pc.

• Replies 130
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Originally posted by Vengin

My freind has bought the game and the graphics card is fine, but when it goes to detect his processing speed it comes up as 0 which is no doubt incorrect. He is has the necessary processor but for some reason it cant be found, any ideas? Also it says have the needed memory which I dont doubt considering the amount of stuff he has on his pc.

I still have not the game, but I've already heard of this problem: it's a known bug, no problems for your friends ;) If he meets the minimum requirements, he can play.

It's an issue with a specified class of processors... but I don't remember which one.

Bye

Simone

Originally posted by gimp lord

No nothing of interest here...No nothing of interest here...No nothing of interest here...No nothing of interest here...No nothing of interest here...No nothing of interest here...No nothing of interest here...No nothing of interest here...No nothing of interest here...No nothing of interest here...No nothing of interest here...No nothing of interest here...No nothing of interest here...No nothing of interest here...No nothing of interest here...No nothing of interest here...No nothing of interest here...No nothing of interest here...No nothing of interest here...No nothing of interest here...No nothing of interest here...No nothing of interest here...No nothing of interest here...No nothing of interest here...No nothing of interest here...No nothing of interest here...No nothing of interest here...No nothing of interest here...No nothing of interest here...No nothing of interest here...No nothing of interest here...No nothing of interest here...No nothing of interest here...No nothing of interest here...No nothing of interest here...No nothing of interest here...No nothing of interest here...No nothing of interest here...No nothing of interest here...No nothing of interest here...No nothing of interest here...No nothing of interest here...No nothing of interest here...No nothing of interest here...No nothing of interest here...No nothing of interest here...No nothing of interest here...No nothing of interest here...No nothing of interest here...No nothing of interest here...No nothing of interest here...No nothing of interest here...No nothing of interest here...No nothing of interest here...No nothing of interest here...No nothing of interest here...No nothing of interest here...No nothing of interest here...No nothing of interest here...No nothing of interest here...No nothing of interest here...No nothing of interest here...No nothing of interest here...No nothing of interest here...No nothing of interest here...No nothing of interest here...No nothing of interest here...No nothing of interest here...No nothing of interest here...No nothing of interest here...No nothing of interest here...No nothing of interest here...No nothing of interest here...No nothing of interest here...No nothing of interest here...No nothing of interest here...No nothing of interest here...No nothing of interest here...No nothing of interest here...No nothing of interest here...No nothing of interest here...No nothing of interest here...No nothing of interest here...No nothing of interest here...No nothing of interest here...No nothing of interest here...No nothing of interest here...No nothing of interest here...No nothing of interest here...No nothing of interest here...No nothing of interest here...No nothing of interest here...No nothing of interest here...No nothing of interest here...No nothing of interest here...No nothing of interest here...No nothing of interest here...No nothing of interest here...No nothing of interest here...No nothing of interest here...No nothing of interest here...No nothing of interest here...No nothing of interest here...No nothing of interest here...No nothing of interest here...No nothing of interest here...No nothing of interest here...No nothing of interest here...No nothing of interest here...No nothing of interest here...No nothing of interest here...No nothing of interest here...No nothing of interest here...No nothing of interest here...No nothing of interest here...No nothing of interest here...No nothing of interest here...No nothing of interest here...No nothing of interest here...No nothing of interest here...No nothing of interest here...No nothing of interest here...No nothing of interest here...No nothing of interest here...No nothing of interest here...No nothing of interest here...No nothing of interest here...No nothing of interest here...No nothing of interest here...No nothing of interest here...No nothing of interest here...No nothing of interest here...No nothing of interest here...

im not quite sure what this means but it sure is kool

Hey all...kinda my first post, so I figure I'll bounce on over here.

First: I love how the trusty admin is so nice and happy about banning people ^^ and deleting people's posts ^^;;.

Secondly - I'm getting a laptop for college, and naturally my mom decided to go Gateway instead of Alienware, and I had no choice in the matter. The rig's a nice one, but I'm worried about the monitor and video card - especially since it's going to be next-to-impossible to upgrade them.

http://www.gateway.com/home/prod/hm_400xl_proddetail.shtml

So how about it? Will it run? And if it won't, any recommendations on what I could do to make it run well?

First: I love how the trusty admin is so nice and happy about banning people ^^ and deleting people's posts ^^;;.

Well, when you are new to the forum, you've posted 4 posts the first day, and all of them has the sentence "No nothing to see here ...", and 1 of them looks like the quote above, then you are not here to discuss and chat about SWG or anything else in particulary. ;)

Ok here are my specs, i know i will have to run on low settings, but will it even be runnable.

Amd Athlon 900 mhz

384 mb sd pc133 ram

Ge force 4 ti 4200 128 mb

Now i have been looking at some other post, and i seem to have some mixed results. Some people say it will run ok some say it wont...

(Btw i dont have the money to upgrade, a 256 stick cost 140$ because stupid ass gateway decided to make my computer proprietary. So i can only use THEIR ram.) But im getting the money to build a new comp at Christmas. So will this do untill then.

My PC has the following specs :-

Windows XP

RADEON 9000 Pro 64MB graphics card

30+ Gb Hard Drive

512 Mb SDRAM (PC133)

1.8GHz Processor

and I have a HUGE problem

After loading the game I start the Launch Pad and login. My installed files are scanned. At the end I get a message that download is cancelling. I have checked the StarWarsUpdate file and it says that I have a few problems. The most common is that it looks at the file size of each file and says that it is way different to what it shold be

e.g. file size on disk is 75Mb, but in explorer it is 102Mb

At the end of the file it says I need to download something like 150Mb to update my game and the maximum limit is 50Mb so it bombs out

Does anybody have an idea of why the files on my harddrive are being reported as a different size as to what they actually are ???

I have tried swapping harddrives, graphics cards, CD ROMs, even the IDE cable - all with the same result

I spent well over $100 importing the game to the UK and I can't play it !!!! What makes it worse is that it loads and updates perfectly on my wifes laptop but the specs on that are no where near good enough to handle the game (so I know the discs are OK :-s)

I have tried the online help from Sony and they have no idea

Help me please !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

i get intermittent stuttering in the sounds from time to time. doesn't last for a long time, but it can be pretty annoying. don't think it's a lag issue, because it happens even when i'm alone in the middle of nowhere with nothing much going on on-screen.

my PC:

Athlon XP2000+

MSI KT4VL (via KT400 chipset)

512MB PC2100 ram

GeForce4 MX 440SE, 8X AGP, 64MB

i'm using the onboard sound on the motherboard, and it usually works just fine, but occasionally it just stutters.

the game runs fine at 1024x768, only really bogs down when i'm in a city and there are tons of players milling around.

on a video card note, you can find video cards like mine for under $40 if you shop around online and don't mind taking advantage of rebate offers. i'm planning (hoping) to upgrade to an ATI Radeon 9600PRO, but it'll be awhile before that happens. you can find them in the under-$180 range with no problem.

anyway, i just wondered if i was the only one with the stuttering sound thing. so...uh....am i?

chimp

For all of you who are upgrading your video cards.

NOTE: Make sure you have a power supply to handle the added power that the High End video cards require. This is a common oversight by many consumers and something you can avoid if you look at your power supply BEFORE you go out and spend money on a new video card.

Generally speaking, a 400W power supply will handle the majority of systems out there. ;)

• 5 weeks later...

Well, I played this game at my friends house and I will tell you what, this is like the sweetest game I have ever played!!!

The Downside:

My computer sucks, so I have to upgrade, which in my case my mom is freaking out about it because she is not very computer literate. So, I have to pay for half the upgrade and we have to take it to a "professional" when I believe I could do it myself. ARG!

Anyway what I got now:

P3 533Mhz

128 MB RAM

11Mb Integrated Video (AHHH!!!)

20GB HD

I looked at newegg.com, ewiz.com, pricewatch.com, and I found tigerdirect.com to be the best!

What I should be getting soon:

P3 1.2GHz (I got this so I wouldnt have to upgrade my motherboard...let me know if you guys think I should go higher)

512MB RAM PC 133 SDRAM 133Mhz

Ge Force 4 MX 440 128MB DDR 8x

Well I would like to go higher, but it wont be too easy because I don't have too much money, but my mom is willing to pay for half, so if you really think its necessary to change the processor or videocard, please let me know. I woul really appreciate it, Thanks in Advance!

Originally posted by Dish

What I should be getting soon:

P3 1.2GHz (I got this so I wouldnt have to upgrade my motherboard...let me know if you guys think I should go higher)

512MB RAM PC 133 SDRAM 133Mhz

Ge Force 4 MX 440 128MB DDR 8x

Well I would like to go higher, but it wont be too easy because I don't have too much money, but my mom is willing to pay for half, so if you really think its necessary to change the processor or videocard, please let me know. I woul really appreciate it, Thanks in Advance!

If you go with an AMD processor, you will save enough dough to

go with a 2+gig CPU (I think 2.4 is the sweetspot now) along with a new motherboard that incorporates faster memory handling (MSI K7 series are nice)

Don't forget that if you do go with an AMD and the usual VIA based chipset on the motherboard, to be sure that the VIA 4in1

drivers are installed and up to date, even "professional" system

builders sometimes don't do this properly.

• 1 month later...

Alright, here's the dealio...

I have all the requirements except for one thing...

I have a laptop and my video card is an ATI M6 Mobility. Does anyone know if my by some strange twist the game would work on my computer? Also...I hear you don't actually need the cd to play the game, just to install it, is this true, cuz I've had issues with my CD drive in the past, so if so this would make life a bit easier.

Thanks

Harrison

Ok guys not to burst some of your bubbles but i see some miss lead info on this.. I work for a very popular software company (sorry i dont wish to tell what it is cuz most of you hate it :) hehe ) and i can tell you right now there is some things that are just not right....

1: 450 P3 with a TI 4600, well first thing first... 450's + Ti 4600 = useless... why??? anything prior to to say 800 (thats rough estimate) ran on 100 mhz bus meaning it had a slower PCI and agp if you had it and at a 450 the pci and such are running at 33mhz and i bet on that cpu the bus speed is actuall 66 mhz like the old celeron. What does this mean? Your running a 4x or if new 8x AGP card on a at most 1/2X AGP slot meaning that card was a big waste of money for you...

2. Next thing RAM. RAM = Speed = False To little ram makes your cpu slow yeah but too much = fast ? NOT TRUE 512 is all you need investing another 512 in ram will make little to no difference. Want proof goto 3dmark.com and look at all my benchmarks do a search on Duel Athlon MP 4ghz range you will see.. I have 2 3000+ watercooled MP proccessors on my cpu running at a little over 4ghz and i can move from 256 to 512 all the way ot my 3 gb of ram. 256- 512 is a minor change but all above taht = 0 change (or atleast close enough to it to say that) . So why buy ram you say?? well 1 word..... SERVERS ram comes into effect on the ammount of programs your running. Example if i had SWG running on one user and also on another user (so i could have 2 accounts on 1 cpu) yes 1 gb ram would help otherwise it woulndt. So for your question on if 512 will help game absolutly not.

3. Processors

Ahh the long awaited question of processors ... well due to common belief this makes a little difference compaired to what people make it out to be ... yeah a 2 ghz will outrun a 1.5... or will it??? no. Why? simple the motherboard makes a MAJOR factor in this.... example i have a 2400+ XP running on a no name board i think its DFI not sure, and a 1800+ running on an ASUS board... the 1800+ smokes the other because teh board is much more efficient. Now on to the types another factor... a Barton 2500+ XP vs a Athlon 2800XP the barton will smoke it due to increased buss speads. Also speed of the ram comes into effect on this ... amount doesnt make as much of a difference as speed. The new Athlon 64 ( i just got one for testing through work) not sure how this will work but i see the 1mb cache on chip and i get a hardon :)

4.. Video cards..

Guys and gals this is what will make you or break you... IF your running 1.8ghz or 1800+ this is the major determinaing factor of your cpu.. the common mistake i see... 1800+ processors (75 bux or so) 3.0ghz or 3000+ (300???) ok now lets take a video card on these examples are 3000+ w/ Geforce 4 Mx 420 (128mb SDRam) vs 1800+ w/ Geforce 4 Fx 5800 (128 or 256 mb DDR 350mhz duel ramdac) results ... the 1800 will SMOKE and thats not an understatement it will flat out blow the 3000 out of the water ... i would say (guessingly) 3x frames per second... now you ask why 5800 dont u know theres a 5900... simple 5800 has exact same hardware ... what??? yes exact same just underclocked. Well can i overclock ? YOU DAMN RIGHT YOU CAN :) not to mention the 200 price range compaired to the 400 or close too price range.

5 Value

Tigerdirect, circuit city, best buy, and all those other crappy places taht are thought to be SOOOOO cheap... wow are u guys wrong...

Cheapest place you will ever find is http://WWW.PRICEWATCH.COM

i dont use it because i dont know the companys that sell so i go with..

http://WWW.NewEgg.com this place is like walmart 100% satisfaction guarentee i have sent like 30 items back just because i didnt like them lol thats all... they are a no questions asked dealer.

i hope this helps and if you have any questions about cpus please let me know... BigJ_mckendree@hotmail.com

• 3 weeks later...

basically, ive just got broadband (im from uk, small village only just available!) and my pc was broken, so i decided to buy some new parts for it and use broadband on my mums pc (this one) until the uprgrade makes the machine work (well i bought a motherboard, processor, and it still didnt work, then a psu, still didnt work, its resolved now, and all i need is a new motherboard, turns out my old mb was broken, and the new one i bought was too :D)

anyway, this leads me to my point, i found out about swg and now have decided to get this setup, and i want to know if itll run swg maxed out.

amd 1.9ghz

512ram or more

radeon 9600pro 128mb, (if you know any better in this price range (£100 - $150 around, do say, or if the rd9600pro256mb is better)

and a 512broadband connection

thats basically all i am buying extra, as long as the pc decides to work haha, anyway can you please tell me if this will run the game well, and i mean really well, and if it wouldnt run it amazingly, what you would suggest (xmas soon :D)

thanks for reading my babbling lol

lewis

• 2 weeks later...

:confused:can someone help a newbie

I've been playing swg off and on since it came out. It's had it's problems, but now i have this one that is driving me up the wall. I open the game, run around for a while, open any window, and when i try to close it, the game freezes up. i can have 5 windows up, and 4 of them close fine, but the last one freezes the game. most of the time it has been the inventory. the specs for the computer are

2.0 GHZ

512 DDR RAM

Win XP

ATI Raedon 9600 64MB

Cable Internet connection

If anyone can help, please let me know, i'm going nutz with this, i can hardly play at all.

Kishel from the Wanderhome galaxy:)

Thanks Toolbar ( and you others too ) for the time and effort that you have put into replying to this discussion thread.

Your attentive respones regarding PC hardware for SWG are invaluable. Concise, informative and objective. I`m so new, that I don`t even have the game yet ( it`s in the mail someplace ).

Hope to see you guys out there ( I`ll be a casual gamer on a Euro server most likely ) soon. Oooohh... just one thing ( probably the wrong place to ask this ), but I was thinking of aiming to become a Human doctor on Naboo. Any thoughts ?

Kind Regards

Emma

PS

Please could I trouble you to alert me if I`ve broken any Posting protocol. I`ve never done anything like this before.

Hey,

I was going to buy a graphics card that has 128 mb is that good enough for swg? if not what would you say is good? but not whats best just what it will work with 'cause right now I have a graphics card for 64 mb. just the worst one but it will work with and not crash my comp.

thx

Kairi6071

If it does work which I doubt, I don't think it will be much fun unless your a dancer or someone that stand in one place talking all the time.

SWG Star Wars Galaxies Requirements

100% DirectX 9.0 compatible computer

Operating Systems

Windows 98 SE, Millennium, 2000, and XP

CPU

Required: Intel PIII 933 MHz or AMD Athlon 900 MHz

Recommended: Intel P4 1.5 GHz or AMD Athlon XP 1500+

Memory

Required: 256 MB RAM

Recommended: 512 MB RAM

Graphics Card

Required: 32 MB 3D Graphics card with Hardware Transform and Lighting (T&L) Capability

Recommended: 64 MB 3D Graphics card with Vertex Shader and Pixel Shader (VS/PS) Capability

Sound Card

Required: PCI, USB or Onboard Audio Device

CD-ROM

Required: Quad Speed CD-ROM drive

Input Device

Required: Keyboard and mouse

Connectivity Requirements

Required: 56K modem or faster Internet connection

DirectX

Microsoft DirectX 9.0 is included on this CD. NOTE: DirectX may require the "latest" updates for your operating system. This may also include the latest drivers for your particular motherboard, sound and video hardware.

Installation

Installation requires 2.0 GB of free hard drive space. It is recommended that you have at least an additional 500 MB of free space available after installing the game for the Windows swap/page file and additional patch downloads.

Supported Chipsets at the time of release:

ATI Radeon 7200/7500

ATI Radeon 8500/9000

ATI Radeon 9500/9700

Matrox Parhelia

NVIDIA GeForce 256

NVIDIA GeForce 2 family

NVIDIA GeForce 3 family

NVIDIA GeForce 4 family

NVIDIA GeForceFX family

Additional Chipsets supported

Looking for guides, strategies, exploits, cheats and more? Get it all at MultiplayerStrategies.

• 3 weeks later...

Ok... I'm no hardcore hax0r and I'm not a high level overclocking phr3akboy but I do possess a bit of good common sense.

First of all STOP telling people to buy ATI Radeons for use with *this* game. Not only is it apparent across the board that as a whole, Radeons have more issues with SWG than GeForce, but that model 9600 is ever more problematic.

I'll tell you one very simple test : if it's not on the box as being ok at release, it's not ok. And sure enough.. on the box it only has Radeon 9000 9200 9500 9700 9800.. not 9600. That's a double chance of it not working. I hear the 9700, 9800 and 9500 have issues also and they WERE on the box as being tested as compliant on release, that should tell you something.

Secondly, if something can crash XP to the point of getting a blue screen of death.. it's gotta be BAD. I heard someone mention they had not seen a BSoD since Win 3.11.. well neither had I .. until I saw 2 in a single day. The game will not run on a 9600 and if it does it's only a matter of time before it won't. 3 different computers, 2 different OSs, 3 seperate memory and processor specs, but the same video card on all machines and SWG won't run for more than 10 minutes on any of them.

Please.. don't buy 9600 until they SOE specifically announces they fixed it, or until ATI does. If I am wrong about every other card out there, I am confident I have done more than enough legwork on the 9600 Radeon to tell you that while it's a badass card for anything else, it hates SWG.

-Nah-

Hi all, im new here and I have just bought this awesome game...funny thing about the hardware thingy.

My system:

AMD 1600xp (1400), 512DDR (266), GF4ti 4200 128.

My fps outside town is around 24-19 and in cities it can drop down to 1 fps. Although it is mostly around 18-9 (mininum graphics settings).

Im thinking about upgrading to:

Intel P4 2.4GHz 800FSB, Kingtson 512RAM 533Mhz (I think) and Gigabyte motherboard also 800FSB.

Will this improve my current perfomance? I´m asking because I have been asking around and one guy who has Intel P4 2.8GHz 800FSB, GFX 5600 (256), 512DDR (400Mhz) show the same perfomance as my current machine...what´s up with that?

I have been hearing about ppl saying that RAM is the key to good perfomance..should maybe skip the major upgrade and instead buy more RAM ?

Archived