Home

For those with hardware issues

toolfan

I noticed quite a lot of people so far have had a lot of issues with Starwars Galaxies. Most noteably are hardware issues. From graphical glitchs to the game just not being able to run because they dont have the right hardware. So I decided to put together a list of help sites, and other material that might be able to help you out in getting SWG working correctly on your end. Then all SOE has to do is get SWG working on their end. :D

First off lets start with a list of Graphic cards that will or should work good with SWG. Also included are the prices for each card as listed on http://www.pricewatch.com

$482 - RADEON 9800 Pro 256MB

$298 - RADEON 9800 Pro 128MB

$265 - RADEON 9700 Pro

$203 - RADEON 9700 128MB

$180 - RADEON 9600 Pro Ultra

$135 - RADEON 9600 Pro 128MB

$133 - RADEON 9500 128MB

$120 - RADEON 9500 64MB

$73 - RADEON 9200 128MB

$63 - RADEON 9200 64MB

$72 - RADEON 9100 128MB

$59 - RADEON 9100 64MB

$66 - RADEON 9000 Pro 128MB

$59 - RADEON 9000 Pro 64MB

$52 - RADEON 9000

$62 - RADEON 9000 128MB

$52 - RADEON 9000 64MB

$504 - GeForce FX 5900 256MB

$388 - GeForce FX 5900 128MB

$156 - GeForce FX 5600 256MB

$135 - GeForce FX 5600 128MB

$63 - GeForce FX 5200 128MB

$57 - GeForce FX 5200 64MB

$138 - GeForce4 TI 4800

$167 - GeForce4 TI 4600

$229 - GeForce4 TI 4600 8x AGP

$107 - GeForce4 TI 4200 128MB

$86 - GeForce4 TI 4200 64MB

$93 - GeForce4 MX 460

$64 - GeForce4 MX 440 8x AGP 128MB

$44 - GeForce4 MX 440 8x AGP 64MB

$50 - GeForce4 MX 440 4x 128MB

$37 - GeForce4 MX 440 4x 64MB

$44 - GeForce4 MX 420

$89 - GeForce3 TI 500

$87 - GeForce3 TI 200 128MB

$63 - GeForce3 TI 200 64MB

As you can see these are all made by Nvidia or ATI. So you will either be getting your drivers from ATI's website or Nvidia's. So here are the webpages for the drivers.

Nvidia drivers for windows XP and windows 2000: http://www.nvidia.com/view.asp?IO=winxp-2k_44.03

Nvidia drivers for windows 98 and windows ME: http://www.nvidia.com/view.asp?IO=winxp-2k_44.03

Driver page for ATI cards: http://mirror.ati.com/support/driver.html

Now you will need Dirext X 9.0. If you already have SWG and that is why you are looking at this thread in the first place then you already have Direct X 9.0, its included on the CD and will ask if you want to install it during the installation. It even detects if you have a outdated version and tells you during the install.

If by some strange reason, like from a act of god, a jawa, or a french soldier insulting you from behind a castle wall prevents you from installing Direct X 9.0 from the SWG CD here is where you can download it for free.

http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyID=a19bed22-0b25-4e5d-a584-6389d8a3dad0&displaylang=en

Now lets talk about ram. 256mb of ram is acceptable, but 512mb is idel for SWG. and if you have more then 512mb that is even better. Anything under 256mb though and you are going to want to look at upgrading ram. check out http://www.pricewatch.com and look for some ram there. besure to also read your motherboard manual and get in touch with your computer manufacturer to make sure you get the correct ram for your motherboard.

Next part is simple, your CPU. For the athlon you are going want a minimal a athlon XP 1600, the higher the better. for the intel users you are going to want a pentium 4 1.6ghz CPU or better. The faster the CPU the better performance you are going to get. A lot of the current highend CPU's are dropping in price very quickly to make room for the new 64-bit processors. the new G5 macs use 64-bit CPU's and they are running at over 4ghz.

I think I pretty much covered everything. If you need to upgrade this is my recommended list of what you should buy is in this thread right here. SWG is a very system demanding game, and if you dont have the right hardware you aren't going to have fun with it and that would suck. So do your research before you buy the game and make sure everything is up to par and ready to go. :)

• Replies 130
  • Created
  • Last Reply

the CPU is bottlenecking your graphics card. that GeForce 4 card I believe is over 400mhz faster then your CPU. :eek:

I think the game might have a slight chance of running because of the Geforce card, but you should seriously look into upgrading that CPU. the CPU is going to prevent you from playing even with that fast video card.

So i noticed this post on this message board...(Im new here! :-)and i got the game and can log in but i can barely move at all! (it sucks) everything boggs down and it makes the game no fun wahtsoever...but i read this and i feel a lil bit better cuz i know i might need an upgadge...Im runnin a P4 1700 MHz 1.69 GHz with 256 MB's of ram...and i got NVIDIA GeForce 2 MX/MX...whats my problem?

Originally posted by malibuD327

hey thanks alot but one more question i got a decent amount of money leftover(yay for me!) so what kind of card would u recomend with a 100-150 bucks?

I recommend the Radeon 9600 pro 128mb video card. :)

Originally posted by Mon Cal

I have a weird problem. While i'm playing and doing whatever, the screen goes blue, words and letter pop up, the the computer shuts down.

SOunds Like THE "Blue Screen of Death". I haven't experienced it yet on XP, but it goes all the way back to win 3.11. It is usually caused by incompatibility problems. Check and make sure all of you're device drivers are the newest and loaded properly (hardware manager).. If you've recently added any new hardware these things will happen. I recommend XP. I've got a millenium falcon of jury-rigged parts and my old 98 was pretty sketchy, but xp took it all in stride, and automatically too!

Sorry for the personal rant , I usually am a MShater and a linux nut, but I guess thats why. Wow I'm so shocked bythe ms acheivement, I can't think straight. longwinded. whew.

-goldplate

Guys for real you all have been a huge help, especially you toolfan! But one more thing...if i also wanted to get some more ram as well, can you reccomend anything cheap(some people say i could get another 256 for 50 some odd dollars), so i could get my card and some ram to really stack up?

As long as you have 512mb of ram or more you are good to go. So yeah go ahead and buy that other 256mb of ram, it will really help. And the new video card to, with those two things put together you should have little to no frame rate problems.

Ok, i looked at all the hardware installed. I had a wireless car bus adapter installed twice. I unistalled one of them and rebooted my computer. Then it said new hardware installed and i still have two in there. The blue screen still appears. I have windows xp. My dad thinks that because D-Link Airplus Wireless Carbus Adapter hasnt been passed as compatable with windows xp, it may be messing our computer up.

Hello im new but i want to make sure my PC can handle this game so here are some of my specs.

P4 2.4 GHz

80 Gig Hard Drive

512 DDR Ram

GeForce FX 5200 128 MB Card

i will be adding another 512 DDR.

also another question is will the extra 512 i will be adding help and in what way? thanks alot :D

Archived