Home

For those with hardware issues

toolfan

Guest DarthMaulUK

Apart from a 56k, having broadband doesnt make much of a difference since Galaxies is plagued with lag. a 512k or 1meg should do you - depending on where you live.

DMUK

• Replies 130
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guest DarthMaulUK

and not forgetting that the servers SOE use for galaxies are probably powered by Hamsters on a wheel!

DMUK

• 2 weeks later...

I'll just chip in here and say that from my experience on the trial and from similar opinions from people who play Everquest...

1Gb of RAM is highly recommended.

512mb would be the minimum in my opinion.

The thing about not needing above 512mb is something that only really applies to Windows 95/98 as those operating systems don't take advantage of more memory, however that only applies to the operating system. Individualy applications and games can still consume far more and will benefit from more memory.

The reason more memory makes the game faster is to do with the fact the game caches a lot of data and graphics on the other players and items. In very heavily populated areas the game will slow to a crawl if you've got less than 1Gb of RAM, especially on Windows XP. The slow speed is caused by continual thrashing of the hard disc because there's not enough physical RAM.

As proof, I went to the desktop with the game running and fired up task manager. The game alone was taking 720mb of RAM, and that combined with the 250mb XP was using added up to 970mb. As I only had 512mb of RAM, my disc thrashed like mad and I was getting 1fps in some places! Out of the cities though... no problems, 25fps etc.

• 2 months later...
  • 6 months later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...

I am getting starwars galaxies on my pc which is:

Amd athlon 2000 (i think) = 1.7 Ghz

512 MB RAM

Nvidia GeForce FX 5200 128 MB

I will be getting a 2mb connection from tiscali

will it work.

I am currently using my sisters computer which is:

P4 1.8 Ghz

512MB RAM

NIVIDIA GeForce2 MX 400 64MB

And i experience more lag than i think is typical, like i lag a little in the middle of a desert and lag in mos eisly a lot and going to biger cities like on naboo lags a lot, just wondering if this is a graphics card problem and will mypc run it, i am currently upgrading my pc a lot so i will get a 512 mb ram and hopefully i will have 768 mb ram mabye even a gigibyte considering its my birthday soon i can ask for new stuff.

Guest DarthMaulUK

Lag is a major factor in Galaxies.

I have just upgraded my PC from:

AMD 1.7 GHz - 1.1 gig RAM - Geforce GT6800 256 MB and lag in the cities was unbearable.

I now have

AMD FX55 2.6GHz - 2.0gig RAM Geforce 6800 GPU 256 and although lag has all but gone, its still there - especially in Mos Eisley and player cities.

So despite having a super fast PC - the game lags = the servers Galaxies are on. You just wont escape it.

DMUK

Guest DarthMaulUK
I Have the x300 series card also, but what i wonder is if my isp connection is fast enough, i have dial up and usually connect at about 40-44kbps, terrible, its through a local provider.

Just wondering if anyone thinks ill have any problems.

SOE have made it clear that dial up is not welcome on Galaxies. So really you havent any chance of playing until broadband hits your area or is more affordable.

Even basic broadband (in the UK) is cheaper than dial up today and may be worth looking into.

DMUK

Guest DarthMaulUK

Im sure it will be fine but you who have to expect some lag and yes, your experience will improve but dont be tempted to whack up your graphic options in game

DMUK

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

I just got SWG and I love it! The only thing is that I don't think that my graphics are at what they should be. I have a nVidia Geforce 6600 GT OC Overlocked graphics card. Its 128 MB GDDR3 and PCI Express. Here is the link for additional details. (Remember its PCI express!)

http://www.nvidia.com/page/geforce_6600.html

Could you please tell me if I don't have the specifications for the highest graphics. If it is, tell me which options I need to change. (Basically everything for me I put on the highest)

If you could respond I would appreciate it.

Guest DarthMaulUK

Hi Tomak

I run a beast of a PC which a geforce GT6800 GPU 256MB and I play the game on max settings. But because of the servers and the lag, the graphics just wont be any good. With some graphical changes made by the SOE dev team, the graphics, to me, have got worse. If you can take a screenshot for us and post it, just incase you are having any problems

DMUK

• 5 weeks later...
Guest DarthMaulUK

MSi is the brand - but you will need to find out which type of Nvidia card you have. If you have an MX card, the card will not work. If you have another type, make sure that you update your drivers. Currently, the game is NOT supporting the very latest nvidia driver updates (currently 78) which means that Galaxies has not been tested on any driver update since 2003!!!

The game should work with the newest updates, which you can get from http://www.nvidia.com If you do not know how to find out the graphics card on your PC post back

DMUK

Guest DarthMaulUK

It doesnt appear to have pixel shader and THL (transform hardware lighting) which is something you need to play the game. And as I have posted, MX cards will struggle to play most of the newer games now

DMUK

Guest DarthMaulUK

Indeed. Not good news. Nvidia went through the phase of releasing the MX range and pitched it at gamers. when really it was only good enough for office computers.

Where abouts in the UK is Sutton in ashfield? I have a spare card that I dont need and it is a beauty

DMUK

• 9 months later...

Archived