Home

What the heck happened to my char?!

Devlyyn Sarr

I got booted off last night when they brought the servers down like alot of you probably did. Anyway, I signed on this morning and I had lost about 2000 credits, Advanced Unarmed Specialization and about 6,000 skill points! What the heck happened to my character?! Anyone else have this problem?! :confused:

-----------------------------------------

Figured out the problem. Aparently they are having some rollback issues and a ton of people lost several hours worth of work last night. If it happened to you go to the official forums, under tech support and rollback issues. I hope they fix this. Its a little bit frusterating.

Most people, also are logging out incorrectly. the /quit command is a HARD SHUT DOWN and does not save your character info. The system periodically saves this info, but you can force it with:

/sit

/logout

There will be a 30 second timer during which your character will be saved.

Also keep in mind that the exit game button is also a hard shut down.

Whenever you do a hard shutdown, you are logging out in hopes that the system will save your data before a crash. If the system crashes before this data is saved, you WILL experience rollback.

This was one of many "red flags" that many of us beta testers were waiving at the devs before they announced the release date.

Also, the "/sit, /logout" trick works *most* of the time, but not all of the time. I lost count of how many times I logged out "smoothly" (i.e., not a hard log out) and logged back in a couple hours later only to find I had rolled back. And the interesting thing was that I lost SO much due to the rollback, it was as if my character hadn't been saved AT ALL for 2 days.

That's a bug that is unrelated to the way you log out.

Originally posted by Jan Gaarni

So, they've gone away from the 4 minute logout time as long as you're not in a camp or hotel room? :)

I'm not too sure on that one Jan. I know you, yourself log out in 30 sec, no matter where you are. You character stays ingame though, usually with an (LD) over his head (Link Dead). I don't know if that's a bug, or the way it's supposed to be.

Ah, that's prolly how it's supposed to be. You can go, but your character won't be completly safe until 3 minutes and 30 seconds later. ;)

Makes more sense actually. You might be in a hurry, and having to wait for 4 minutes to log out could hamper you alot. :)

Originally posted by UnfrozenCaveman

So when we use the exit, it's actually as if ther server crashed? I've never really experienced rollback aside from when i'm running some place and I crash- then i notice i'm about a Km back. So this /sit /logoff command is smooth?

Unfortunately, the rollback bug is a little more insidious than that. During beta, many of us experienced rollbacks even when we would /sit and /logoff. And the rollbacks weren't simply lost data since the last server-side save! In one instance, I actually completely lost a character that I had been developing for a couple weeks. I checked, also, if there had been a pwipe (since it was beta), but no pwipe had taken place. (I know this because my friend on the same server still had all of his characters in tact).

Anyway, I just thought I'd comment on the issue. We brought it to the devs attention long ago, but so far there hasn't been enough "data" to lead them to a viable solution.

Archived