Home

Editing tools you would like to see

Emon

I'd like to know what editing tools the community would like to see in development for JO or JA.

Currently, I'm working on a console, and possibly GUI application for converting various 3D file formats. I originally started it so I could convert some of the very high quality 3DOs made for JK to something usable in JO. There's a converter that can do this, but it sucks. Doesn't even do mapping coordinates! I figure it could also be used for general conversions, as stuff like Milkshape isn't that reliable sometimes.

I'm also going to do a shader editor application. ShaderEd2 for JO and SoF2 has a nice preview, but sucks other than that. Q3ASE works for nothing vanilla Q3 shaders, so that's pretty much useless. I'm afraid I won't be able to make a 3D preview, since my knowledge of OpenGL is limited. I could make a preview of the basic blending modes and all that, but it wouldn't be worth it without the more advanced things like vertex deformations, and I don't feel like recreating the Q3 shader engine. :) So instead, it's going to be text based, but I'll have a database that gives detailed descriptions of each keyword and feature, which you'll be able to update. Q3Map2 gets updated with new stuff so often, so I feel something like this is essential. Even with a 3D preview, it should let you create shaders faster by not having to worry about syntax and all that. Also should cut down on the amount of testing you have to do because of the text descriptions.

What other tools would you guys like to see made by myself or others? I've been thinking about something for the various text files like npcs.cfg, weapons.dat, etc. It wouldn't be tremendously useful, but would increase productivity a little I think.

how about a new verssion of modview that lets u see your shaders in action? I have not found a way to do this for the currnet MV so i am assuming itis not possible.

Also a sky make that you could use that put diff elements of a sky together so you could customize your skys (heard something like this was possible with prtal skies) oh well thats my 2cents.

Rendering Models is something I'm working on, but I'm barely trying to learn how to render the model, I'm not incredibly interested in recreating the shader engine either :(

I suppose I'll put it on the list of things I'll look in to.

Originally posted by Emon

...if you read my post, you'd know recreating the shader code is beyond my ability.

And, er, a sky shader is just any shader, so the shader editor I have in mind would let you do that.

lol well in that case nm I huess I'll have to pay better attention next time:D

Originally posted by mercenary

I'm a complete noob when it comes to modelling but from what I understand you need 3ds max to get your model usable in JK2. Is anyone here capable of making a plugin for gmax or milkshape that will do the same thing.

Unfortunately, you can't make stuff for Gmax without paying discreet a lot of money. Milkshape can do all the necessary weighting and heirarchy I hear, but still isn't free. Wings 3D is supposed to be pretty good, but I haven't gotten into it much yet. I doubt it could do the weighting and heirarchy.

Archived