Home

Question on co-op multiplayer mod

gloworm

Hi, I haven't been around the JK2 community for awhile and I was wondering if there has been a co-op module made yet for JK2? Like either one where there is a custom map you play agianst the comptuer with other players or where you play the single player version online co-operatively with others agianst the computer? If anyone knows of one and where to download it if it exists PLEASE let me know, I'm dieing to play one! Thanks in advance!

Hmm, I couldn't find it. Anyone happen to know the name of this? I figured it wouldn't be such a abstract request, although it seems more and more games are leaving this out now a days :( If anyone can shine some light on the name or url that would be great, thanks!

Hmm, I downloaded both coop files I found at that link and neither are really coop. The ladder was just you agianst reborn for like a hour. I was really hoping to find a multiplayer version of the single player maps. I'm suprised no one has made a multiplayer module that lets jedi's fight agianst anything else but themselves. If anyone knows a map where you can fight coop on a team agianst the computer like agianst storm troopers, droids, ect. like in the SP version please let me know.

Originally posted by gloworm

I'm suprised no one has made a multiplayer module that lets jedi's fight agianst anything else but themselves. If anyone knows a map where you can fight coop on a team agianst the computer like agianst storm troopers, droids, ect. like in the SP version please let me know.

I have set up one map in the 10-map rotation on my FFA-CTF server as Team FFA, map ffa_deathstar. The map starts with 10 Stormtrooper bots all on the Red Team, and the humans quickly figure out that they are supposed to join the Blue Team and fight them. Now everybody knows "bots are lame", especially the stock Stormtrooper bots who were apparently supposed to be like the Stormtroopers in the movies, the ones who fired thousands of shots but never did hit Luke, Han, Leia, et al. So I customized my Stormtrooper bots into Superbots. I greatly improved their reaction time, accuracy, turn speed, and range of rotation, and I optimized their weapon preferences. They are stronger at the lowest skill setting than a stock Desann bot is at the Jedi Master skill setting. Their weakness is they have no Force powers (of course) and therefore no lightsaber. Force Pull takes their guns away, Force Push throws them to their doom, Mind Trick confuses them, Force Grip and Lightning kill them, Force Protect decreases damage from their guns, and so on. They use weapons skillfully, but if the human Jedi and Sith use the Force and their lightsabers, and work together, they can usually (but not always) prevail. And by the way, when the Stormtroopers score a kill they chat (but dont say) the same taunts from the single player game, like "Wish he'd put up a fight", "Eh, he wasn't so tough", "Hope I get a commendation for this", etc. The most common thing that humans say is "This is hard" and "They are good" (referring to the bots). Team scores are usually in the 200-400 range. The server is usually full with 24 humans and bots. It is lots of fun and quite a spectacle.

The IP is 64.246.58.228. Remember, that map is the only one out of 10 set up that way, so you have to wait for it to come around. The maps before it are ctf_imperial, ctf_ns_streets, ffa_bespin, duel_temple, then the Team FFA on ffa_deathstar with the Superbots. Each map is 20 minutes, so if you see the server is on ctf_imperial, you'll know the Team FFA Deathstar map will begin in about an hour. That map is Full Force like the CTF maps, so decide ahead of time of you are going to be Jedi (light force) or Sith (dark force). Make sure you have level 3 Saber Defend, Force Push, and Force Pull. If Jedi, use level 3 Force Protect and Mind Trick. If Sith, level 2 or 3 Grip, Lightning, and Dark Rage. Use Pull to take their blasters away, Grip and Push to throw them to their doom, etc. The lightsabers have increased damage so it is really easy to slice them up. The server has dismemberment enabled, so type \seta cg_dismember 2 in the console when you enter the game and you will see the Stormtroopers' heads come off and see them cut in half when you hit them with your mighty lightsaber. If the server is full it is OK for humans to join the Red team to keep the teams even. Today the bot and human team beat the all-human team 416 to 412, but it was close all the way.

Now thats a really cool idea AdminAmidala, I will definently check your server out. I suppose if a fully coop set of maps aren't out this is the next best thing. I sure hope in Jedi Academy someone works on this, I loved playing Doom3, Heretic, Half Life ect. with friends and figureing out puzzles, sneaking up on enemies ect TOGETHER. Playing MP deathmatch gets old because people get mad at each other ect., I'm honestly suprised I haven't seen more threads on this topic. Oh well thanks for the substitute I'll definently check it out!

I'm positive it was textures, The edited Q3 engine in MP didn't support the 64 bit (i think, unsure) which SP uses. They also had a problem with models but they gave up before they managed to try very hard on them.

Roofles. No, not textures. There are no 64-bit textures. Anywhere. A 24-bit color depth is over 16.7 million colors, which is plenty. 32-bit adds an 8-bit alpha channel, used for translucencies and that sort of cool stuff.

Trust me, textures in MP and SP are identicle. They're just JPEG or TARGA files, which are 24-bit and 32-bit respectively. Rather, TGAs can be 24-bit, but can also be 32-bit.

It's already possible in JO, but no one wants to do it. Scriping and AI are already available in JA MP. Depending on how the code is structured, recreating the full SP game will either be easy or hard, and may be full featured, or may be cut back due to other limitations.

Gloworm, have you ever played Capture the Flag? It is team-based with a goal. There are a lot of different CTF servers out there with variations like saber-only, 1-hit kill disruptor only, full force, light force, etc. I forgot that many online players have played FFA Deathmatch or even Team FFA, but have never tried CTF. Use your in-game browser to list only Capture the Flag servers. It might be just what you are looking for.

Archived