Home

Pirates of the Caribbean

Remi

• Replies 106
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Reading through all this stuff about the movie I’m surprised no one has mentioned the computer/X-box game that’s out. Its called Pirates Of the Caribbean (duh :) ) and its awesome. It’s not made by Disney which is good, I was actually mad at Disney for talking it over a while back –well I guess I still kinda still am. it was going to be the sequel to one of my favorite games of all time, Sea Dogs –never did beat it though couldn’t defeat a French colony and it just kept crashing. Just as the game was about to come out Disney took it over for their movie. The overall game is still in tact which is awesome. You basically start off as a merchant and or pirate and you go on missions and stuff –if you have never heard of it you should look into it but Id have to warn you that it is very graphics intensive, meaning that you need a very good computer to run it or an x-box.

Funny. My friend Mary has this gigantic thing for Orlando Bloom, I mean she worships him. Literally. She has a shrine. Anyway, she showed me the preview for POTC a while back (before the movie was released, obviously) and I flipped the freak out. "That IS Monkey Island!" I told her, enraged at Disney for blatantly ripping off such a magnificent series.

However, Mary (as well as all my other friends) looked at me like I had eight heads. "It's WHAT?" she asked?

"Monkey Island!" I said, irritated that I have no friends in the tri-state area who even know of Monkey Island. I explained the plot. Mary said she didn't care, as long as Orlando was in it (she also manages to do this squealing thing everytime a reference is made to him. Usually after she squeals, she falls on the ground in a pile of Mary-goo)

At anyrate, I remembered that Monkey Island was based on the theme park ride, Pirates of the Carribbean, as well as POTC the movie. So I was relieved. Untill I saw it.

See it again. If not, think it over. It's extremely similar to Monkey Island. (I also recall a rumor a while back that an MI movie was to be made starring Orlando Bloom and Johnny Depp...what a coinky-dink)

Well let me just say this, Will Turner is, obviously, Guybrush. He dresses like him, he's inexperienced in pirating, he eventually turns to be a wannabe pirate, he breaks a filthy pirate with bad breath out of jail (a scene very similar to Guybrush and Otis in MI1), AND he's got the hots for a tough-girl daughter of a governer who can hold her own. Need I mention Elizabeth's resemblance to Elaine Marley and Barbarossa's resemblence to LeChuck.

Plus, it's a movie about a fearsome undead pirate and his undead army of pirates, who've all been placed under a terrible curse. Gee wiz.

Note: I didn't read all the posts in this thread, so I might be repeating. But it's just my 2 cents and all that.

Originally posted by Guybrush122

...and Barbarossa's resemblence to LeChuck.

I think the resemblance to MI stopped with Barbossa. Some of the stuff in PotC, I swear, could be straight out of CMI or EMI, such as...

the "but you were marooned on this island before!" thing...that reminded me constantly of Guybrush's endless harrassment of Herman in EMI. At least until Jack broke out the rum.

But I really don't think Barbossa's much like LeChuck, aside from the whole undead thing. Barbossa was painted as a much more sympathetic character than LeChuck'll ever be.

A friend of mine said it best..."all the poor man really wanted was an apple."

Now, if Barbossa were to come back in the sequel looking for revenge...;)

Archived