Home

Pirates of the Caribbean

Remi

Knowing the Disney track record with sequels I'm not sure I'd want to see a PotC II...but does that hold only for cartoon movies? Anyway...

Then again, whoever would have thought the first one would be a GOOD movie? Maybe this could be a 'charmed' series :)

• Replies 106
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Originally posted by Redwing

Knowing the Disney track record with sequels I'm not sure I'd want to see a PotC II...but does that hold only for cartoon movies? Anyway...

Then again, whoever would have thought the first one would be a GOOD movie? Maybe this could be a 'charmed' series :)

redwing, nice to see you about here a bit more.

And please note, if it wasn't for the ride referance, Disney wouldn't have made as much of an effort to put there name on it all over the place and would have actually stayed in the background paying for it with 'Touchstone Pictures' thrown on instead. And Touchstone movies have been known to be high rating among the good movies out there without having a 'disney' feel to it despite being made by the corporation. I think a sequel may be good, then again, Most sequels, not only disney, tand to bomb, with the following expections

Charlies Angles 2 (gotta see it guys)

The Rescuers down Under (possibly the only disney animated cartoon sequel to be better than the first)

The Godfather 2

The Empire strikes back (although i don't know it that counts as it's part of a saga)

Indie and the temple of doom

and others i can't think of right now.

Hi I'm new ^_^ I just watched Pirates of the Caribbean the other day and it's made me rediscover my love of pirates and all things arrrrrr. :(

I wanted to watch it solely for Johnny Depp and Orlando Bloom...what a combination :o But it blew me away! It still kept to its PG and even my little cousin enjoyed the silliness even though she was a bit freaked out by the ghost crew. XD

It was pretty incredible...a lot of action which I actually enjoyed watching! It did have a bit of a monkey island-esque feel to it...it was great ^^

Originally posted by TikkiTikkiMan12

I've seen the movie two times but I still don't know why they need Bootstrap's blood. Can someone help me?

[/b]

Yes. I had a hard time with this too, but after seeing the movie the second time, I think I've got it sorted out...

After opening the chest and invoking the curse, it took a while to take effect, and it took longer for the pirates to figure out what they had to do to reverse it. When they did, they started hunting down all the medallions. But for each pirate who took a medallion, or who had equal shares in all prizes according to the ship's articles, blood was spilled in the taking of the treasure, so that blood must be repaid. All the pirates had, presumably, spilled their own blood on the medallions when returning them to the chest, previously. There is a point where Barbossa asks who has already paid in blood, and all the pirates raise their fists high and yell. So we can assume they had made the blood payment.

However, Bootstrap had been disposed of by then, and there was no way of recovering him and taking his blood to finish off the curse. They needed his son or daughter to do that.

I hope this makes sense!

GAH!

Been thinking (thinking?) about what a squel for PotC would be...

WHAT THE HELL COULD IT BE ABOUT???

I mean, honestly, I don't wanna spoil, but to everyone who's seen it, ITS OVER. No plot holes to follow. And living people are boring.:D

Its like trying to make a sequel to Phantom of the Opera("phans" know what i'm talking about). You just CAN'T.

I have ranted. the end

Just because they have "no plot holes to follow" doesn't mean they can't start new adventures. The "series" is called "Pirates of the Caribbean" and could be about any set of pirates in the Caribbean, and not just those that were in the first film, (although they would be making a very DUMB very POOR and very FOOLISH mistake if they don't have Depp as Sparrow for another movie).

Let's look at Monkey Island for an example (since this is a Monkey Island forum). SMI ends with the fireworks of our favorite ghost pirate LeChuck exploding in the sky as Guybrush and Elaine stand arm in arm with each other all googly with each other. Everything's all right and finished, right?

Wrong. Enter Largo LaGrande (the best MI villain in my opinion). Guybrush is looking for a treasure. Brand new plot. Brand new adventure. Brand new villain (with the classic reappearance of LeChuck).

As RemiO said, "They're pirates. I'm sure they cam come up with something not boring."

Edward "Blackbeard" Teach himself, (a real pirate of the Caribbean) would set fires on his own ship and kill crew members if things were boring. (Someone has to do an up-to-date movie about Blackbeard).

One adventure ends, another begins. Sparrow is back out on the sea. Say something happens and before you know it Turner has to go out and join him. The possibilities are countless.

"Living people are boring." yeessh! Do what I've done and go out and buy some stuff about some of the real pirates of the Caribbean. It's even more fascinating because we know they actually existed. Exciting profitable films could be made of Captain Kidd, Mary Read and Anne Bonny, Calico Jack, and the infamous Blackbeard who actually lit fire under his hat so his face was wreathed in flame while in battle! If THAT's boring, ...yikes!

*sorry, I didn't mean to make this post so long - just wanted to make my point.

*gets pelted with apples by Enchilada Man*

Okay, okay. So there is a way to make a sequel. And living people aren't boring(i was being silly).

But knowing how sequels are made now a days...well!:rolleyes:

and this is Disney...

I fore-see the lack of Depp in future movies! I just sense it!

For rumors, go to http://www.darkhorizons.com. and no, this is not where i found out Depp isn't coming back. I just sensed that.

PS i read about real pirates...i had forgoten them *prays for forgivness from pirate gods*. I would personally love to see a REAL pirate movie, but i doubt it would come from Disney.

Calico Jack movie! Calico Jack movie!

Originally posted by Reaper Girl

I fore-see the lack of Depp in future movies! I just sense it!

I don't. Depp has reportedly been signed to do another movie, and I KNOW he said in an interview that he'd definitely come back if he could. Besides, I think Disney would be stupid not to bring back Jack. First of all, he's the most popular character in the whole movie, and I think they know how wonderful he (and Johnny Depp) was. Secondly, I think Jack's character has the most sequel potential. There are a lot more story possibilities involving him, if you ask me, than with any of the other characters.

This is not to say that a sequel will be as good as the original, but we CAN still have hope that it will be.

When it comes out do you think all us monkey island players should have some sort of secret sign to show we're not just a random movie-goer who likes popcorn and cheap action.

coz i look like that. a teen. whos just watching the movie as a movie. but im not. im watching it (when it comes out in aussie land) as a MI fan.

Maybe if we watch it while wearing a t-shirt with a large monkey somewhere on it? or something?

Originally posted by Iateababy

When it comes out do you think all us monkey island players should have some sort of secret sign to show we're not just a random movie-goer who likes popcorn and cheap action.

coz i look like that. a teen. whos just watching the movie as a movie. but im not. im watching it (when it comes out in aussie land) as a MI fan.

Maybe if we watch it while wearing a t-shirt with a large monkey somewhere on it? or something?

Or how about we don't and live to see another day? :D

Originally posted by Reaper Girl

*pelted with apples by Ariana*

I pelt with love! :D

Oh, and if I'd been up on the PotC thing and seen it the day it came out, I would have gone in costume. I have several full pirate costumes of various types, mostly for SCA use. I have a poofy white pirate shirt, and another that's a sort of greenish blue, as well as a multi-colored striped velvet vest, a red velvet vest, a red lace-up bodice, poofy black pants, poofy blue pants, black leather boots that are shin-high (and not the clubbing kind with heels either, real piratey boots), plus the essential HUGE collection jewelry and sashes and scarves and belts and things. I have a little gold necklace with replicas of medieval gold coins hung on it that I got as a souvenir at the Tower of London, and I have the essential gold hoop earrings, as well. Oh, and I have an eyepatch, too. ;)

Actually, is anyone interested in pirate costumes? I could post some information and suggestions on sewing or throwing together a semi-authentic outfit if anyone is interested. Could be fun.

Originally posted by Ariana

Hey, I'd do it; but then, I have a history of loud, silly singing in public. I once sang Zippity-Doo-Dah for an hour and a half straight while standing in line for a ride at Disneyland. (Don't look at me like that. It was in high school. :p )

Of course, my friends and I STILL sing "The Pirates Who Don't Do Anything" in public, and I'm starting grad school in the fall. Some things you never grow out of. ^_^

XDheehee:D

Me too. I was in the lobby of the Majestic Theater to see Phantom and me and my friends suddenly burst into "Maskerade!".(We're really into Phantom). Some gay looking guys joined us. Some people were annoyed, some people were amused, and other people pulled thier childern closer to them...

I'm going into 11th...i guess we'll be singing till we retire!

Originally posted by Ariana

After opening the chest and invoking the curse, it took a while to take effect, and it took longer for the pirates to figure out what they had to do to reverse it. When they did, they started hunting down all the medallions. But for each pirate who took a medallion, or who had equal shares in all prizes according to the ship's articles, blood was spilled in the taking of the treasure, so that blood must be repaid. All the pirates had, presumably, spilled their own blood on the medallions when returning them to the chest, previously. There is a point where Barbossa asks who has already paid in blood, and all the pirates raise their fists high and yell. So we can assume they had made the blood payment.

However, Bootstrap had been disposed of by then, and there was no way of recovering him and taking his blood to finish off the curse. They needed his son or daughter to do that.

Bootstrap was undead too? O_o;;; That makes me unhappy... But that means when he was sent to Davie Jones' locker, he was still alive the entire time down on the ocean bottom until the curse was reversed! He died then, when Will spilled his blood in!

Ar, aye, it was a wonderful movie. Many, many people have gotten on here and told their opinions on this movie, so I need not repeat anything. Why I post is because I have a question that needs answering.

After Barbossa tells (Kierra Knightly) that "she's in one(a pirate story)" and Kierra runs out into the skeleton infested deck of the ship, many things happen. She runs screaming, gets touched, hit, etc. One thing plagued my mind, though. At one point when she was running madly at the thought of skeletons, she is rocketed up a couple of times by some skeletons evidentely "dusting out their bedsheets." If you would remember well, they were just flapping out some sheets into the night wind, before she hopped onto the sheets and the crew continued flapping while she was flying above them. Do the undead require clean, dust free sheets? Or...what were they doing?

Originally posted by Kjølen

Bootstrap was undead too? O_o;;; That makes me unhappy... But that means when he was sent to Davie Jones' locker, he was still alive the entire time down on the ocean bottom until the curse was reversed! He died then, when Will spilled his blood in!

This is a distinct possibility. I don't like it, either, as it brings about some disturbing images...but it's very open-ended, and there've been a lot of fanfics written speculating on just what happened to him. I think it's possible they might address his fate in a sequel...perhaps. I did read in a couple of fanfics that after eight years or so undersea, he was able to work off the straps holding him to the cannon, or they rotted off or something, and he was able to walk to shore before the curse was lifted. This is also a possibility. The only way we'll know for sure is if the filmmakers decide to tell us...

Oh, and regarding the scene where the undead pirates were freaking Elizabeth out...I would guess those weren't bedsheets, but sails, and they could have been messing about with the rigging. They continued to flap them about just to upset Elizabeth, I think, though; that whole scene was mostly just Barbossa and the crew gleefully terrorizing her.

I saw this movie on Saturday. My fiance and I thought it was great. The costumes were amazing and Johnny Depp's charector was NOT what I expected at all. I thought he did a great job!! He left me going...is he gay? or just wierd? It was great My favorite scene was "what about the rum?" I know, but the rum!

Archived