Home

Pirates of the Caribbean

Remi

Originally posted by Ariana

This is a distinct possibility. I don't like it, either, as it brings about some disturbing images...but it's very open-ended, and there've been a lot of fanfics written speculating on just what happened to him. I think it's possible they might address his fate in a sequel...perhaps. I did read in a couple of fanfics that after eight years or so undersea, he was able to work off the straps holding him to the cannon, or they rotted off or something, and he was able to walk to shore before the curse was lifted. This is also a possibility. The only way we'll know for sure is if the filmmakers decide to tell us...

aye, many a fanfic:D .But i see a awful, Disney-squsce plot to expoilt an undead Bootstrap. But wasn't he blasted by the cannon, not tied to it *all confused*. But whatever the way he died...me and my friends are already betting money on whether or not Disney will ruin the mystery of Bootstrap

• Replies 106
  • Created
  • Last Reply

For Fricks sake, come out here already!!! I wanna read these spoilers! Fine, I'm closing this thread until it comes out in the UK, it's the only thing i can do to stop me from killing you all.

Nah, I'm not that cynical or selfish.

Hey Scabb, wanna help out?:D

Originally posted by Reaper Girl

Hmm...where did pirates sleep though, on the boat (real pirates)? Surely they couldn't have real beds...hammocks?

Hammocks or berths are the typical sleeping quarters for ships. On some ships, the sailors would just wrap up in blankets right there on the deck. Sometimes they would sleep between the cannons.

August 4th (Monday, although I won't be able to see it until thursday because I'm busy, although I'll probabyl still be busy then, so maybe Saturday. Dammit!, But if I'm lucky, they'll be showing previews sometime between now and monday, so fingers crossed)

Hey Niel... You may be lucky as far as release dates for one thing...

"Medievil", a game I love maybe slightly less then Mi, was released FIRST in England, then creeped over to the US.

The same with Medievil 2 two years later (though ME2 sucked)

Now there's rumors of ME3:Legend of the Dungeon. But its in England, far from where i can comfirm...

*has searched the interent deeply, and has whammed head against desk in blind search*

So...you english people are lucky 'cause Medievil gets released there first.

PS Medievil is like Monkey Island in some wierd respects...Sir Dan is BOB! :D

Yeah, except I don;t really care much for this game and it has nothing to do with me seeing Pirates of the Caibbean any sooner. And I just found out that it doesn't come out here until August 8th, not 4th, but it has an advanced screening on August 7th, which I hope to see.

Its not out in australia yet X_X Although its coming out pretty soon... For movies like this its basically Britain/Ireland + 1 week. Same with most books.

but big blockbusters like the matrix and lord of the rings come out same time in australia. Perhaps even earlier due to our proximity to the international date line =D

aye, many a fanfic:D .But i see a awful, Disney-squsce plot to expoilt an undead Bootstrap. But wasn't he blasted by the cannon, not tied to it *all confused*. But whatever the way he died...me and my friends are already betting money on whether or not Disney will ruin the mystery of Bootstrap

I bet that Disney will just leave it be and not tell, or rather, not make any deal about it. XD

Originally posted by Neil Joshi

I once heard of SW fans in america who flew to australiajust to see ATOC 12 hours earlier. LOSERS!

hehehe, i bet they were in costume too. And how can you not care for MediEviL :mad: ?!

Kjølen: you're probably right, but this is Disney, man! They make a silly sequels with @$$adelic* plot lines...Possibly not for PotC, but don't dissmiss me too soon..

*@$$adelic- similar to "psycodelic" or "shaggadelic". Think about it.

Kjølen: you're probably right, but this is Disney, man! They make a silly sequels with @$$adelic* plot lines...Possibly not for PotC, but don't dissmiss me too soon..

It wasn't Disney, it was Touchstone and they hardly ever make crappy sequels.

Oh, and just for your information, I saw it today, not that any of you care, you're all done talking about it now, dammit!:mad:

Just one question for ariana who seems to have all the answers (thanks for clearing up the Bootstrap thing for me, I'll definatly see the movie again)

Barbossa died because he was shot and then the medallion with the blood was dropped in causing the bullet to take effect. But if this is the case, shouldn't Sparrow have died because he was stabbed earlier as well as the rest fo them die because at some point they were supposed to die and didn't because of the curse. Seems to me like they cheated a bit there, I mean if Barbossa dies after the curse is lifted because of something that happend before it was lifted, then everyone else who had something happen to them whilst cursed should die after the curse is taken. Still, some of the best swordfights I've seen on film in a while (althoug people seem to be taking advantage of the whole balancing act thing. In the fight between Sparrow and Turner, they both jupm onto that haystack thing and balance on it giving the impression that they both weight the exact same amount, this is being done in so many movies, it's hard to keep up. Also, i'm pretty sure it takes longer to set up a cannon than a couple of seconds. Still, brilliant movie)

Originally posted by Neil Joshi

Just one question for ariana who seems to have all the answers (thanks for clearing up the Bootstrap thing for me, I'll definatly see the movie again)

Don't have all the answers, just have seen it wayyy too many times, and I love to speculate. :p Heh.

Anyway, I'd guess that:

Basically they just fudged here and there, because after all, it IS only a movie. At least they got the most obvious things accurate, I guess. However, a possible explanation...hmm. Maybe if you're hurt while cursed, it automatically heals? But the curse was broken soon enough after Barbossa was shot that he didn't have time to heal, thus dying from the bullet wound...only a guess, but it might work.

And I could have sworn I heard people saying it had the Disney label rather than Touchstone. Huh. Not absolutely a critical difference, since Touchstone is just a different label Disney uses, but I had heard a bunch of people talking about how it was rather telling that Disney used their own label this time, despite the movie's PG-13 rating. I guess I'll have to check that out to verify it, since I'm hearing conflicting things...

Actually, I can't even remember it having a touchstone lable, but I'm sure it was them who made it, they're normally used for disneys more mature films (such as Who Framed Roger Rabbit, class film). But I was looking very closely at the beginning of the film because I wanted to see how Verbinsky and Brucheimer would pull it off, and I'm sure I would have noticed a Disney Castle with the shooting star. then again, it may have just been the text 'Walt Disney pictures presents... in collaboration with...'. I wasn't really paying attention to the credits.

Yeah, I did think about the fast healing thing at first, and it seems to be plausible, I guess that's all we're going to get.

The official website:

http://pirates.movies.go.com/

The movie info starts with, "Walt Disney Pictures presents..."

Touchstone is the label they usually use for their more mature movies, but Pirates is different because they gave it the Disney label. Probably the Disneyland ride connection was a large reason why they did this, but it IS somewhat groundbreaking that the Disney label is on a PG-13 film. This was being discussed on a couple other forums I visit.

he's the perfect anti hero.

charismatic and heroic, yet clumsy and somewhat funny and cinical.

Orlando blooms Will Turner was the character were all used to already. the brave heroic hero who gets the girl...frankly, such characters get boring really fast.

but the mixture of both Jack and Will as the main characters in the movie was a great balancing.

Great movie...

wonder if it will be ruined by a cheesy sequel...

I thought Will was well done because they actually played up the stereotype a bit. Ultra-heroic, yes. But naive? Definitely. Remember the line:

"How far would you go to save her?

"I'd die for her!"

"Oh good, no worries then."

They really played up the impractical idealism of youth, and they showed that although Will is a great guy who means well, has a lot of talents, and is truly honorable, he does have his failings as a result of that. That's one reason I think Jack and Will played so well off each other. Usually the young hero eclipses all other male characters; in this, I don't think you can say there IS a single main character. It was great.

Archived