Home

Jedi Academy on DVD.

Agen

I actually got the special edition. It came in a metal tin which included a lightsaber keychain. It also contained Dark Forces and JK in addition JO. I was a bit disappointed that they didn't include MOTS :mad: For that is the game that I didn't get a chance to play. :(

What I meant with the cutscene pre-rendering was that when the game pre-renders a cutscene, it can turn all the detail right up, and have all graphical features turned on, since it doesn't have to aim at the >25fps mark. When I first played JO, I had to play it will all the settings down for decent framerates, so the cutscenes looked especially poor.

During a game with action, graphic detail isn't so important, but in cutscenes I notice the lack of quality more.

I'm just used to Blizzard games where the cutscenes are made by a special team and look beautiful no matter what detail you actually use in the game. Unfortunately they also occupy space on the CDs. I'm not saying that the cutscenes would look anywhere near as good as Blizzard's, just better than crap.

are there any stats on how many pcs have DVD? i would have thought it was way over 50% these days... most new pcs come with DVD rom drives as standard. even most notebooks have them now. I would have thought any pc fast enought to run modern games would have a dvd rom drive.

Having said that, personally im not at all bothered, i doubt it is the sort of game that will come on hundreds of cds.

However, when they do KOTOR with all that audio (and hopefully spiced up graphics) i would think that would be a good candidate for a DVD release.

Originally posted by toms

are there any stats on how many pcs have DVD? i would have thought it was way over 50% these days...

Well, maybe not 50%, but on the PCs of ppl who play games I think it might be even above 50%! And €40 for a DVD-Rom player upgrade... Might be worth it if more games come on DVD!

All of my laptops have a DVD-ROM player, most also have CD-RW, and one (my TiBook) has the 'SuperDrive' - DVD-RW, CD-RW.

However, my Dell desktop at work, has only the CD_RW, and it is my fastest system - 2.53GHz, GF4Ti4600.

My point - many people see the usefulness in getting the CD-RW (my wife loves burning 'mix' CD's for the van as she shuttles the kids from activity to activity), but unless you plan to play DVD's, why pay the extra when you're setting up the system? I pay more for the DVD drives on laptops because I use them on airplanes ...

Mike

plan to play DVD's, why pay the extra when you're setting up the system?

Ah yes, but if all games were on dvd (i don't agree with that though), then everyone would get one and then we'd eventually end up with game developers producing better cutscenes, adding more music and giving them a bit more felxibility on the whole.

Well, maybe not 50%, but on the PCs of ppl who play games I think it might be even above 50%! And €40 for a DVD-Rom player upgrade... Might be worth it if more games come on DVD!

Using this http://www.loupassis.gr/euro-en.jsp That's £28 which sounds about right, though people with no computer knowledge wouldn't be able to upgrade unless they got osmeone out and that costs cash :(

Whoa you quoted me twice, you must really love me ;)

But yeah, ppl who know sh*t about computers usually don't know how to upgrade. But I don't know a single person who doesn't know someone who can upgrade for them!! (of course I don't, cause they all know me, hehe ;))

Really as long as 'the business' works together, we can have a new standard in no time! But that's the real problem, they won't work together on a new standard, it was the same case with videotapes, compact discs etc etc :(

yah, but im pretty sure any new pc bought in the last 2 years would have included a DVD rom. THey are so amazingly cheap these days that anyone who has a pc with a graphics card good enough to play JA (Radeon, nvidia) is likely to have a £25 dvd rom.

When they started releasing games on CDs it cost me somehting like £100 to upgrade my pc with a 4x cd rom drive. These days it would cost a quater of that to add a dvd rom drive.

Basically, they must be about reaching that point where enough people have DVDs to allow them to become the new standard. It probably just needs one BIG GAME (hl2, doom3 etc..) to come on dvd to tip it over the edge.

Surely it would also have a piracy advantage, in that games big enogh to fill a dvd would be harder for people to copy (at least until DVD writers pick a standard and come down in price.

Originally posted by toms

Surely it would also have a piracy advantage, in that games big enogh to fill a dvd would be harder for people to copy (at least until DVD writers pick a standard and come down in price.

Possibly, but you've hit on the other point I made. Sure a DVD-ROM is cheap, but people have gotten used to CD-RW, so DVD won't become a standard until the price of 'combo' drives (DVDROM & CD-RW), or better yet 'superdrives' (DVD-RW & CD-RW) comes down sufficiently.

Also, similar to the old floppy argument, CD-R's are cheap - I got a pack of 25 'name brand' CD-Rs with jewel cases for <$8, or about 30 cents each! I also picked up a set of 5 DVD-R's for ~$12 ... or close to $2.50 each.

But despite all of this, I agree that most computers - especially the 'off the shelf' types - have DVD-ROMs, but the real 'sellers', like Dell's $699 PC with flat panel, have only CD-RW, with an upgrade to DVD-ROM. Apparently the music push is greater than the 'watch movies on your PC' push. So something has to happen to change that - perhaps as you say a big game could do it ...

Mike

Archived